back to article Review: Livin' in the cloud with Google's new Chromebook Pixel

It has been well over two years years since Google released its first Chromebook, the CR-48, and set off on a quest to convince the world of the benefits of living in the browser. Last week, the company unveiled its latest attempt to seduce the public – the luxury touchscreen Chromebook Pixel – and gave The Reg a $1,449 LTE- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. theopriestley

http://successfulworkplace.com/2013/02/27/google-says-welcome-to-cloud-city/

Google knows what it's doing, building a cloud based future one Pixel at a time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shame about the OS.

2. toadwarrior
    FAIL

Rubbish

It's handicapped in that it seems to still lack a lot of software like developer tools and no matter what google says it will be gimped without the net so it's an overpriced POS, imo.

1. the-it-slayer
      Stop

Re: Rubbish

Essentially all show and no go? If I could hackintosh it, I'd be all over it.

3. Robert E A Harvey

Questions

1. How difficult is a linux install? Can you access the bootloader/bios-thing?

2. Is there any internal access? Can we even think about an SSD upgrade?

3. Is the displayport bidirectional? can it be used as a display on other products?

4. Is the SD socket full depth, or does the card stick out?

1. WaveSynthBeep
      Linux

Re: Questions

Read Bill Richardson on Google+: plenty of info there

1. You put it in developer mode and can then boot stock Linux distros - Ubuntu and Mint have been mentioned as working just fine. There's a 30 second delay each boot while it advertises it's in developer mode, but sounds like it wasn't too complex to set up.

2. SSD is a single SanDisk chip soldered to the board (looks like a BGA). The LTE slot is USB2 only, so no mSATA in that. There's no other orifices in which to put an SSD. Board pic:

https://a77db9aa-a-7b23c8ea-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/chromebook-pixel/link-bottom-guts.jpg

3. Pass

4. Looks like the SD socket is full depth

1. WaveSynthBeep

Chromebook Pixel developer info:

http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/chromebook-pixel

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So only options to extend storage are a tiny (and slow) 16GB or perhaps 32 USB stick (like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Verbatim-32GB-USB-2-0-Tiny-Nano-USB-Pen-Drive-Flash-Memory-Stick-NEW-SEALED-STOK-/251219157282#vi-content) which would leave you with just one USB slot, and/or an up to 64 GB SD card, just as slow.

I'd be very tempted to install Mint on it and wouldn't mind it only having USB 2.0 and 5h runtime but the 32 (or max 64) GB SSD just doesn't do it for me, especially not at that price. Shame, the 3:2 "retina" screen is a dream come true, with or without touch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Given the price of 256G ssds it seems silly. Google seems determined to repeat the IBM mistake of releasing crippled hardware that lost them so much of the PC market. The Nexus 4 is another example. Trying to force users to do things your way always seems to me a bit of a short term strategy.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Yes they could put in a 256Gb SSD so you never needed to be online. They could also have licensed IE and Outlook for it so you don't need to use Google..

This is nothing to do with the computer, this is making sure you are as dependent on Google in 2015 as you were on Microsoft in 1995.

2. David Hicks

"and/or an up to 64 GB SD card, just as slow."

Actually, check out he Sandisk Extreme Pro series. They're already faster than most desktop hard drives and make a fine add-on. Also available in micro, but only up to 16GB. No doubt other manufacturers will catch up sooner or later and capacities will continue to grow.

1. ThomH

Re: Questions (@David Hicks)

Surely it depends how that SD card slot is wired up internally? It's normal for them to reside on the USB bus (just like the keyboard and trackpad, usually) so if a system is USB 2.0 only then the SD card slot is likely limited to that bandwidth.

1. David Hicks
              Linux

Re: Questions (@ThomH)

You are correct that it does depend how the SD slot is wired up. For instance ARM SoCs tend to have a dedicated SDIO bus that the slot is attached to, so it doesn't go via USB at all. My cheap-ass Exynos based Chromebook is wired up this way. (It also has USB 3 but I didn't want USB sticks jutting out the side)

I have no idea about the internal wiring of the new chromebook-pixel and what speed is available on the SD bus. To me it's far to expensive for a browser driven device anyway....

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You can also run stock linux AT THE SAME TIME as Chrome0os using Crouton (http://craigerrington.com/blog/arm-chromebook-chromeos-and-xfceubuntu-at-the-same-time/) just ctrl-alt-right/left to switch between them.

I'm writing this on a $200 Samsung chromebook running chrome and ubuntu live simultaneously on the built in SSD

ps. You only have the 30sec delay the first time, or you can skip it by ctrl-D

2. David Hicks
      Pint

Re: Questions (@Robert E A Harvey)

4) If you're referring to the Samsung/Google ARM chromebook and it's annoying sticky-out SD slot, and you're looking for a solution that doesn't stick out, may I recommend something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3-1-USB-Multi-functional-Adapter-Card-Micro-SD-Card-SDHC-USB-UK-/181076395412

(No, I'm not the seller)

You can cut the USB end off (it still works) and you end up with a half-length SD adaptor you can stick any old micro-sd into.

4. Bernard

So let me get this straight

For the same price as a MacBook Air you get something that Apple fans will laugh at because, despite having no onboard storage, it's too heavy (among several other things) and non-Apple fans will laugh at because it locks you into an even more restrictive eco-system than Apple's.

I wonder if Google are doing this just to get a small but valuable list of morons who'll buy absolutely anything then target them with super-premium advertising.

1. Chad H.

Re: So let me get this straight

If only someone could buy one... Then we could finally unite the Apple fanboys, and the apple haters against him.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

"...it locks you into an even more restrictive eco-system than Apple's."

You are right about the comparison, I agree completely. However, using the word "eco-system" to describe a non-living entity as a whole makes many people cringe. The term you are looking for to describe a virtual archetype such as this is "paradigm". By the way, both words are hyphenless.

But yes, you are correct, Google does seem to be playing Apple's game. However, a very important difference is you can run Linux on it with apparently no fuss, and this is a growing importance. But am I going to buy it and run Debian on it when I can't justify the display, no way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But yes, you are correct, Google does seem to be playing Apple's game."

Certainly iOS has some degree of lock-in since you are only able to officially download/run apps that are approved by Apple. But OS X? Not one ounce of lock-in.

1. Amorous Cowherder
          Pint

"But OS X? Not one ounce of lock-in."

You seen 10.8? The default setting is only install/allow to run Apple approved app-store software. Piece of cake to switch it back to full-open, run what-you-like-mode and yes I know it's not full vendor lock-in as we understand it, but the seeds have sown...

1. ed2020
            Thumb Down

You seen 10.8? The default setting is only install/allow to run Apple approved app-store software. Piece of cake to switch it back to full-open, run what-you-like-mode and yes I know it's not full vendor lock-in as we understand it, but the seeds have sown...

The default setting is not to allow running of code from untrusted sources. This isn't lock-in, it's plain common sense.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is not a non living entity. Android/chrome/iOS have producers and consumers that are definitely living, and money and goods exchange hands in an (artificially ) restricted environment. That is an ecosystem, from the Greek. oikia a household or farmstead, from which also comes economics, laws of the household. Ecosystem is surely a better word than paradigm, which just means a pattern or model and misses the dynamic aspects of the growth and decline of individual actors in an ecosystem.

This is what comes of wasting time at U learning Greek when I could have been learning Algol.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Seriously who cares where the word comes from, the important part is it's common usage. Being that 'ecosystem' has previously been almost exclusively used to describe a biological based evolving systems one can only question why corporations have decided to co-opt the word for themselves ... it doesn't take a genius to realise that they're doing it to get one over on the consumer. 'Ecosystem' sounds fluffy and healthy while 'Closed shop' sounds pretty shitty and limited and prone to foreclosure. Paradigm not only has negative connotations but sounds far too intelligent and off putting for the average consumer..

If we really want to talk about computing in terms of ecosystems, you'd really have to include the sum totality of all computing as all the parts parasite, kill, inform and evolve off of each other.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

@ribosome

Correct, but don't forget the common denominator in "eco" anything...habitat. You used the word "artificially", which is correct to use, so here is my question: What part of computing is natural to your habitat, which thus makes this ecosystem? Of course, maybe you have taken "Green Computing" to a whole new level :-)

I upvoted you for spinning your choice of education into this, I hope that is some reimbursement :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Run Linux with no fuss?

But I already run Linux on my Macbook Air with no fuss. What's your point?

4. toadwarrior

You can install Linux on a MacBook too with no problems. That's not really an added benefit to the pixel.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course it has no onboard storage to speak of - Google would not make any money if it did. Let me get back to this in a minute.

First a minor gripe: OSX on SSD cold boots in a good 10..15 sec (15 sec on a regular MacBook with a Seagate Momentus XT refit), and that is a complex and useful OS in comparison to Chrome, so I can't see how the author can state Mac users would be jealous. Come to think of it, I've seen Windows 7 machines with SSD come online in that speed as well.

Now, Google making money. This is a supplier who has publicly stated that there is no such thing as privacy and we should get over ourselves (worth noting that the speaker in question seemed to consider himself excluded). This is a company which has been repeatedly in the dock for being far too creative and enthusiastic collecting information it has no business collecting, and it is again back in said dock both at home and in Europe for doing more of the same. Stepping back from the company itself, it is also based in a nation which is well known for information acquisition by whatever means possible, whereas especially companies have a duty to prevent disclosure of information other than when compelled by law in whatever format.

Ergo, you are paying the equivalent of a decently specced Apple or Windows compatible laptop for something that:

• is of (at best) limited utility because of its online focus
      • has no storage to speak of, and lacks any option or even supplier desire to change that
      • is by default exposing a normal company with clients to the vagaries of EU Data Protection law or, for instance, to US HIPAA
      • is 100% dependent on one single vendor for apps (in a world where people are complaining about Apple's restrictions that is actually funny)
      • will stop working the moment Google decides it no longer wants to operate the service (because, for instance, they are told by a court not to). Hmm, a very expensive Zune...

If you are seriously considering buying this machine you may want to investigate that twitch. It may be possible to overdose on koolaid after all.

4. Craigness
      Facepalm

A Chromebook gives you access to the WHOLE FRIKKIN INTERNET. That's not a "restrictive ecosystem".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"access to the WHOLE FRIKKIN INTERNET"

My phone does that too, so what does that prove.

1. Craigness
          Facepalm

The way some people put it, you'd think a chromebook only allowed access to google websites. El Reg commentards love to hate google, but I prefer they hate within the bounds of reality.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: you'd think a chromebook only allowed access to google websites

try finding a popular site on the web that doesn't host scripts from Google. They are silently co-opting the entire internet into their script delivery network and when they finally decide to monetise we're fucked.

That's not from outside the bounds of reality.

1. Craigness

Re: you'd think a chromebook only allowed access to google websites

In terms of what you can do on a chromebook, the number of sites using Google scripts and services is irrelevant.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: the number of sites using Google scripts and services is irrelevant.

Why? Your original post was "you'd think they only allowed connection to google sites", my riposte was "technically most of the web IS google sites", you respond "irrelevant". Not a convincing argument. Sounds to me like this Chromebook, using code live from GoogleHQ, could easily interact with any site hosting scripts from GA or GoogleAPIs. That is a massive security issue to anyone who realises "do no evil" is BS.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bigger than an Air? Needs an internet connection to function? Costs more than the cheapest Apple Laptop?

So who exactly is this aimed at?

6. ecofeco Silver badge
      Facepalm

> I wonder if Google are doing this just to get a small but valuable list of morons who'll buy absolutely anything then target them with super-premium advertising.

What's to wonder?

Me, I'll keep buying cheap laptops on sale that give me far, far more flexibility and utility.

5. Ashton Black

Hmmm

Not for me. I don't live in a WiFi (or for that matter decent 3G) area, apart from my own at home and at home I have a plethora of devices. Looks like I'll be sticking to my trusty laptop whilst out and about.

6. DinTheCloud

It'll run Office365. Most people (at least here in the UK, and on 3's superfast, uncapped 3G and soon to be 4G network) can tether it. That's the offline part taken care of. Yeah, it's a shame there's no USB 3. It's a big plus that the OS will undoubtedly be massively updated soon, and for free.

1. Chad H.

Until your phone dies from all that teathering draining the battery.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Office365

But not well. At least this Samsung Chromebook doesn't.

You can view and edit-ish documents using chrome but you don't get all the features of using IE, outlook is barely useable and you don't have lync..

If you are getting this for work, try accessing you sharepoint/office365 stuff from chrome on Windows first to see if it's good enough.

7. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

I call BS on the "it's too sleek for USB 3.0" thing. The entry level Samsung Chromebook has a 3.0 port.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

USB 3.0

Yes, it's BS. My Macbook Air has USB 3.0. It also boots in less than 10 seconds, and is instantly on when I open the cover from standby.

Looks good, but basically pointless.

1. MrT

I suspect...

... that not having USB 3 is a deliberate move to knobble the max speed of local storage, and pushes people towards using the cloud - free for 3yrs but then for sale once the user is hooked into it.

1. Shagbag

Can it mount NAS

Can a personal NAS be used with this?

2. Craigness

Re: I suspect...

NAS can be used and USB2.0 is faster than an internet connection I call BS on conspiracy theories.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: USB 3.0

But it's a mac, so has even less software available.

2. sysconfig

"I call BS on the "it's too sleek for USB 3.0" thing. The entry level Samsung Chromebook has a 3.0 port."

Of course it's BS. Google has no interest whatsoever to facilitate decent local storage. It's against the very concept of this "laptop".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see most normal people being drawn in by the hype, buying it only to take it back because it isn't Windows.

Countless people returned Linux netbooks.

9. McBeese
    FAIL

So many issues I hardly know where to start...

1. Most obvious question – even if you're a big Chrome fan, why not buy a MacBook Air and access your favorite Google apps and services from it without giving up the benefits of local capabilities?

2. "a Verizon connection that includes 100MB a month free downloads" 100MB would last me about an hour. No point in promoting this as worth anything. Face it – the LTE capability is pointless in North America until we outgrow the capped data models.

3. Google Drive is a terrible service. Dropbox and Skydrive are both far superior (and less buggy) implementations. You don't want to depend on a device that depends on Google Drive, that's for sure.

4. USB 2.0? Seriously? Nuff said.

The Google Nexus team is crushing it. Please keep the Chrome team away from them!!

1. WaveSynthBeep

Re: So many issues I hardly know where to start...

The question I want to know is the one I keep asking about clouds. So, you've given me 1TB of cloud data instead of local storage. How do you propose I get my data into this cloud, on my (fast for UK) 2Mbit domestic upload bandwidth? I make that to be 46 days nonstop at full throttle - not accounting that I'm probably limited to a few tens of GB per month.

And I couldn't even make 3G behave itself in *central London* today - uploading my files at tens of KB/s - don't make me laugh.

It would make a nice Linux machine, except for the braindead lack of storage.

1. Theodrake
        Devil

With LTE in Detroit I regularly get 15 Mbps down and 4-6 Mpbs up. I've hit over 30 Mbps down and 18 Mbps up (rare but it happens). Luckily I'm on a legacy plan and have true unlimited data for $40/month. Having an Android phone I've installed a Wifi app and see those same speeds on my tethered Nexus 7. Also free Wifi is ubiquitous in the US. So this does sound like a product targeted to the US market. Yes out in the hinterland LTE is sparse but you'd be surprised how many places offer free Wifi. Just stop at a McDonalds and get a cup of joe for 2 bucks and free Wifi.

2. Decade
      Childcatcher

"1. Most obvious question – even if you're a big Chrome fan, why not buy a MacBook Air and access your favorite Google apps and services from it without giving up the benefits of local capabilities?"

Most obvious answer – Because you need to maintain the OS on a MacBook. You don't need to maintain the OS on a Chromebook. Just think of the children. Or the parents.

Except for not being compatible with any apps or devices, so you have to retrain them on the Google Cloud way of doing things. You can't have everything. Mac users should already be familiar with this.

10. Scott Earle
    Stop

Profitable because it's made in China?

Not because of the outrageous price tag, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Profitable because it's made in China?

Hmm - you remind me of something.

Let's compare a few more things with Apple. Google: where is this machine made, and exactly how many children are involved? Apple now actively audits this, but I have yet to see any data of any other manufacturer, and those kids fired from the Apple production lines have to go somewhere..

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Profitable because it's made in China?

It's exactly the same production line.. Foxcon don't just make Apple

11. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    FAIL

Maybe I'm just an old Luddite

But I really really can't see one single advantage in it.

- Your data is in someone else's control and potentially in a jurisdiction which doesn't have the same legal system as your home.

- To access that data you have to have a permanent connection, either wireless or via 3G or better

- There seem to be no local applications

Yes - buy it to stick Mint on, but then you've got an expensive laptop with damn all storage. There are probably better ways to do that. I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again: if it doesn't have a compiler on board it's not a computer, it's a toy.

Meh.

12. ChrisB 2

Mmmm

I just quickly priced up a 13" Macbook Air

2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 4000, 2 x USB 3, Thunderbolt (ok, ok)

All for £1599 including VAT.

Apart from a better screen, just what am I getting in a Pixel that warrants not going for a a full blown OS with half-decent local storage such as a Macbook for OSX or a Samsung/Sony (or even a Macbook with Bootcamp) for Windows?

1. Craigness

Re: Mmmm

You'd have a better screen and £600 in your pocket.

1. ChrisB 2

True. And a £1000 paperweight when I'm out of range of WiFi or 3G. Which in some parts of the UK I visit isn't that uncommon:(

1. Craigness

An expensive mac won't let post cr@p online without an internet connection either.

13. Martin

Perhaps only a marketing ploy?

Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, and I won't be buying one.

BUT...it's getting ChromeOS well and truly into the public eye. Combined with the fact that the cheap Chromebooks are back in stock everywhere, after a couple of months of none to be found, it may just be a matter of getting people to think about what they use their computers for.

I'm using a Sammy Chromebook to type this, and I'm going to get my 80 year old mother one for her first computer - it is so damn simple to use for emails, browsing and a few simple documents. That's basically it for what most people use computers for.

1. Craigness

Re: Perhaps only a marketing ploy?

My internet has been down for about 4 days in the last 6 years - I work from home and it's just not an issue. And there's practically nothing I do on a computer which doesn't already require a connection. A Chromebook is pretty close to being all I need for a 2nd laptop, plus it allows for offline editing of docs and has offline apps too.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Perhaps only a marketing ploy?

It's there for the same reason that millions of people watch Clarkson twat around in a 250,000 supercar before they buy a Fiesta. It gets Chromebook noticed, it gets Google on the NYT technology blog, and then people buy a $200 Samsung in Walmart.

ps if anyone is visiting the USA, most Best Buys have a stack of returns of the Samsung for $200 from people who thought it would run Windows. Dumb people + dumber salesdroids = savings.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Yet Another Anonymous coward - Re: Perhaps only a marketing ploy?

I am aware that especially American consumers are maybe not that famous for their computer literacy levels but to tell me that in these days someone gets into a computer store and buys some thing without looking at it and just assuming it will run Windows, this is something I simply can't believe unless perhaps they were looking to buy some microwave ovens and they picked the wrong box.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Pint

Re: @Yet Another Anonymous coward - Perhaps only a marketing ploy?

"just assuming it will run Windows" It's the same everywhere, nothing has changed. If you for some reason know Apple makes computers you go to an Apple store and with Linux you know what to do anyway. (so just forget the especially American assumption).

14. DrXym

Stupid price

If I was paying that much I expect a full blown desktop. Drop $1100 on an ultrabook and you'd have something far more impressive than this. Chrome might make a (tenuous) case in the $200-350 range as a cheap laptop but even there netbooks are fully capable of delivering a full desktop.

And Google is competing with itself with Android. They really should fold the best bits of ChromeOS into Android and junk the rest.

15. Eenymeeny
    FAIL

" and in standby mode you lift the lid and it's ready to go. "

I have a Compaq nx6325 - a 7-year-old, 3 kg dinosaur of a laptop. Runs Win 7 with a 64 GB SSD from Crucial.

And guess what? You lift the lid in standby mode and it's *also* ready to go.

I think it might be the SSD, you know...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Special use, but...

Here's how I see Google's pitch with this: if you're a sysadmin considering switching a company to chromebooks, this is the laptop the CEO gets. It's a demonstration of commitment to ChromeOS's future, more than a laptop Google actually expect to make a profit on or make massive sales with.

And ChromeOS is catching up, you can even get IDEs for it, for heavens' sake. (Why anyone would develop on one I have no idea, but I suppose it makes more sense than doing same on an iPad, which I'm assured happens.)

One comment by many Apple bloggers: it's a neat way of proving Apple aren't so special. Google, in one jump, have basically built themselves their own Retina MacBook Pro, though they probably make a loss on them. Apple's chances of offering online services as good as Google's? Zero. So if Google can make using Google online services on a chromebook more luxurious than doing same on any other computer, they've at the very least probably blown cheaper Windows laptops out of the water.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The long run

Here's Google's other pitch, I think: people who grew up with chromebooks. Not now, but in the future.

So here's how it works: you're fourteen now. You need a first laptop. Your parents bought you a chromebook, because it was cheap, low-maintenance and backed up everything you did to a Google data centre. You grow up using Google apps for everything.

Three years go by. Google Documents gets better and better, offering more and more of Office's features for free-certainly all the ones you can imagine using. Google's Photoshop competitor doesn't offer everything, but it's good enough. You build up piles of files-saved webpages, homework, photos-all on Google's servers. Suddenly you're having to pay Google to store it all.

You're seventeen now and have a summer job. You can afford a first 'serious' laptop that will see you through university. You could buy Windows, but while you use it in school you don't know it well. You could buy a Mac, but you've never used one of them either. You've always used a chromebook. You'd like to have every photo you ever take backed up to a Google server, but that's pricey.

You get a Chromebook Pixel 2016. You know the system, and with 8TB storage for the laptop's likely lifetime (by now), it's a bargain-that's a decade's worth of photos and stored content. Heck, if you ever want a proper OS, you can still install Ubuntu on it. You probably won't, though.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I want a computer, I will buy a computer.

If I want a terminal, I will buy a terminal or a tablet.

If I'm a Google fanboy I will buy a Chromebook.

This product is just dead in the water.

1. Martin
      Happy

...says someone who has never used a Chromebook.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OMG Goolge IS SO tarded!!1! they spent billiins making a computa just for u and ony u but u no wnat it. google suk my ass tards!!!!!11!! is dead alrite

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't care

Given the option of a ChromeBook or anything by Apple (including a Macbook Air), it would be a Chromebook.

I want nothing to do with the evil bastards at Cupertino.

19. Turtle

Sharing Is Caring.

"... the deal it has with an unnamed Chinese ODM to manufacture the Pixel gives Mountain View..."

It gives Mountain View access to all your data, and lets the Chinese government have it too!

20. Muscleguy
    Thumb Down

No HDMI?

The sub £300 Windows laptop I bought my wife to replace the one that died has an HDMI port on it, despite a fairly decent 13" screen. We used it to watch The Men Who Stare At Goats together via iPlayer on the 40" HD TV I bought her so she could play her new game properly. We could not have done that as easily on this (we unplugged her XBox and used that cable, have you seen the price of HDMI cables?).

I don't care how good the screen is, it is not 40" and shareable to the whole room.

1. Martin
      Linux

Re: No HDMI?

Blimey - I hadn't thought of that. That IS odd. My £229 Samsung chromebook has an HDMI output. Are you sure? It says it has a "mini display port" - isn't that a mini HDMI?

They are making some strange decisions. No USB 3. No HDMI. No Ethernet..!

But it's still beautiful. (Blimey, I sound like an Apple fanboi drooling over the latest MacBook...)

Penguin, because it's still Linux under the skin...

2. Benjamin 4

Searched HDMI cable on Amazon and clicked on the first link. 1.8m with gold plated contacts. 99p with free delivery. As long as you don't buy off the highstreet HDMI cables aren't that expensive.

3. Tim Parker

"I don't care how good the screen is, it is not 40" and shareable to the whole room."

Whatever else its shortcomings, it is shareable on your TV - you just don't want to buy the cable for it by the sound of it (fair enough I suppose, it's your money).

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only plus point for me is instant suspend and resume, but then I had that in 1989. See http://justwebware.com/mc400/mc400.html

22. g00se
    Linux

>>It uses a mixture of hardware and software lockdowns to keep out malware

For "to keep out malware", can we read "to keep the buyer from owning it"?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who was saying that

a sucker is born in America every few seconds ? Clearly Google has a market here and they will surely vacuum-clean it up to the last one.

24. Richard Neill

Aspect ratio 16 x 10.6

Nice to see at least one laptop maker moving back towards full-height screens. With luck, the trend may catch on, and we can go back to 16x12 rather than the tendency towards 16x8.

25. Citizen Kaned

this does seem bonkers to me.

i bought an Acer Iconia W700 64gb last week. i3 4gb ram

a tablet i can use in full windows mode if i like.

it boots up in similar time and runs a full OS that i have all kinds of flexibility on. instant on too from sleep.

and all this for £550 with a case that includes a keyboard. so much better than android or ios and with the screen being 11.6" and 1080p is really good for 2 people to use.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google's largest failing is the inability to have local content in case of a net outtage like an aircraft ride or power failure. They do have an app you can run on your PC for Drive, but that stores shortcuts to the net and is useless where there is no active connection.

Dropbox shall remain my favorite file tool simply because I can work regardless of where I am . When the net comes back, everything syncs up and I carry on.

1. Craigness
      Facepalm

Chrome has offline apps (it's a feature of HTML5 - the future) and drive syncs files not just links. For Docs files it only syncs a link, but you can make the document available offline from within the app. So with Drive you can work wherever you are. When the net comes back up everything syncs up and you can carry on.

27. teknopaul

network only

A networkstorage only pc without an rj45,w00t. if it had usb3 you could connect to the lan. but usb2 wont reach gigabit. round here (barcelona) people have faster connection to the internet than wifi, ditto those on google fiber.

28. tin 2
    FAIL

Boots in 10 seconds

EXCELLENT, we're perhaps matching the boot speed of my Amiga circa 1998 (and I *am* talking OS, TCPIP stack and Browser off a mechanical HD) technology's improving so much isn't it?

29. W. Anderson

Google Pixel Linuxed

It is my clear understanding that Google has stated the easy technical possibility of installing one of the premier Linux distributions on the Pixel. If so, then a Pixel purchase, even at $1300.00 with a great Linux configuration might be worth comparing with the MacBook Air on a more level playing arena.

Does the article writer or readers have any opinion on this aspect?

Microsofties, please refrain from adding your Windows 8 two cents, since in many ways there is no room here for propaganda about devices from Redmond, particularly on non-factual technical basis.

1. Quxy
      Facepalm

Re: MacBook Air Linuxed

I swear that there's some sort of cognitive disconnect going on here.

At LT's suggestion, I bought a new Macbook Air, for less than $1100. It has a 1.8GHz i5, 4GB DDR3, and 256GB SSD. It is thinner and weighs less than the Pixel, and (has been pointed out) has USB 3.0.

I immediately installed Linux, with no problems whatsoever. It cold boots to the desktop (not login, mind) in less than 15s, and has >6hr of usable battery life.

So... the Pixel has a gorgeous display -- but neither price nor technical specs going for it. What's the point, again? Maybe it'll be a fun toy when it drops below the price of a used MBA, but until then?

30. aqk
    Joke

$1500...

This is a joke, right?

1. TheVogon
      Mushroom

No, didn't you know boat anchors are expensive?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like