back to article Raspberry Pi-powered Tardis blasts off from 'Blighty's Baikonur'

The diminutive Raspberry Pi celebrates its first birthday today, and by way of a toast to the million-selling miniature kit, we bring news of high altitude geezer Dave Akerman's latest Rasberry Pi In The Sky tomfoolery - a geekgasmic combination of ARM power and Time Lord tech. On Wednesday, Dave and Anthony Stirk - they of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Cowerd
    Happy

:)

beat me to it!

2. Jon Green
    Coat

In space...

...no-one can hear you "Skweeee-gronk! Skweeeee-gronk!..."

(Well, YOU try to transcribe the Tardis noise, then!)

1. ukgnome

Re: In space...

According to various comics and books it goes Vwroop Vwroop

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In space...

[drags housekey along piano wire]

3. Isendel Steel
    Headmaster

T A R D I S

Acronym: Time And Relative Dimensions In Space

1. Justice

Re: T A R D I S

Thanks there, Captain Obvious. We forgot for a second.

1. Isendel Steel

No problem - just emphasizing it should be in CAPS (I guess we should put a trademark symbol on there as well)

2. Valarian
      FAIL

You had one thing to do, and you f**ked it up.

It's Dimension, not Dimensions.

1. Isendel Steel

see below

3. Jordan Davenport
      Headmaster

Except in this case....

"Tethered Aerial Release Developed In Style" might be more appropriate.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Holmes

Don't know why they were surprised it landed in the UK. The TARDIS always lands there.

1. Anonymous John

Usually in a quarry though.

1. P. Lee
        Coat

> Usually in a quarry though.

Blame BBC Wales...

5. Mat 3
    FAIL

Dimension (singular)

Time and Relative Dimension in Space. Just to be picky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

(though in truth either is justifiable, but if you're going to be a noxious pedant, so will I.)

1. Isendel Steel

Re: Dimension (singular)

Thanks, explanation on the following link:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Doctor%27s_TARDIS

6. Thomas Gray

You can type it as Tardis...

If you type LOHAN as Lohan, and REHAB as Rehab.

7. frank ly

Just wondering -

- are there any laws/regulations/limitation on 'hobbyist' release of payload carrying balloons? e.g. payload size/mass limit or prohibited places where you can't release?

1. Cubical Drone

Re: Just wondering -

What's the UK term for "buzz kill"?

2. Vic

Re: Just wondering -

> are there any laws/regulations/limitation on 'hobbyist' release of payload carrying balloons?

Yes. Lots of them. And for balloons that aren't carrying payloads.

Let's not go into it, huh?

Vic.

[Currently studying for the Air Law exam :-( ]

8. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Pint

Camp

First I thought what the heck is a gay death star?

Then I saw the picture.

Well done, guys!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Camp

"[...] what the heck is a gay death star?"

It BLOWS planets!

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Camp

It wasn't just the Death Star which was camp. The little run and jump at launch was the campest thing I've seen in ages!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If we are to be fussy about acronyms....

If we are to be fussy about acronyms, then EITHER:

a) They should be cased normally (this is actually the recommended format for acronyms longer than 4 letters and intended to be pronounced as words)

or

b) we should be spelling ALL acronyms in upper case - LASER, MASER.

1. JassMan

Re: If we are to be fussy about acronyms....

As a pendant (since there are lots about today), I would like to point out that all real acronyms are intended to be pronounced. It is only the merkins that seem to think that all abbreviations are called acronyms.

10. NukEvil
    Thumb Up

DOOO YOOUU WAANNT SOOOME TEEEEEEAAAAAA????????????

11. ukgnome
    Headmaster

Shut up you incorrect pedants!

TARDIS (time and etc) was actually the name given to the vehicle by Susan

The vehicle is actually a type 40 TT capsule

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Shut up you incorrect pedants!

I always pictured a bunch of ancient timelords in their ceremonial tea stained brown stores-robes.

Sucking on their teeth and saying, "a chameleon circuit for a type 40? We haven't had one of them for years have we Dr Bert?"

We could use one off a type 41 but the threads are left handed and it only works on 425 line PAL

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
        Alien

405 line PAL for the early 60's, 625 line mid 60's (BBC2 & Colour).

While Susan stated she made up the name from the initials & in the early years generally refered to as The Ship. It didn't stop The Meddling Monk, The War Chief, The Time Lords Prosecution Team, The Master etc who hadn't met her, from using that name either.

Damn no TARDIS icon!

But on Gallifrey they mixed them up and had 425....

Oh God - I'm in pedant arguement on t'internet about Dr Who

And I'm a grown up - I have a wife and everything

I even have a proper job - which I'm supposed to be doing now.

Good job my office has a door.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
            Pint

> I even have a proper job - which I'm supposed to be doing now.

Of course, that's what El Reg is for. If you weren't supposed to work I hope you would be doing more contructive things than reading stories like that!

2. Stuart Halliday
          Facepalm

Time lords are telepathic or did you forget?

3. A J Stiles
          Boffin

405 line telly was never PAL, it was mono. There were experiments with NTSC on 405, but that only works over a cable; do it wirelessly and real-world wave propagation phenomena distort all the colours. They also tried SECAM, but the delay line required at 10.25 kHz scan rate was too expensive.

The irony is that PAL -- which automatically corrects the errors that plague NTSC over the air, dispenses with the over-complexity of SECAM, and still has little to no effect on existing mono receivers -- was chosen over an RGB-native system, when the move to a new broadcast frequency band (UHF) and a new line structure (625 lines) meant there was no need for the new system to be compatible with existing sets anyway!

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

But ...

>> has little to no effect on existing mono receivers ... there was no need for the new system to be compatible with existing sets anyway!

But, when 625 line and colour on UHF came along, there were still mono sets, and would be for many years. So while there may have been no requirement for backwards compatibility with existing 405 line VHF sets, there was a requirement for compatibility with new mono sets.

Besides all that, I struggle to see how an RGB system could have been easily implemented at the time - in analogue, and without all that much by way of available chippery. Of course it's a different matter now with all this digital malarky, but looking back, colour was like the proverbial dancing bear - the wonder is no that it was so good considering the limitations of the technology available at the time, but that it did it at all.

1. A J Stiles

Re: But ...

"But, when 625 line and colour on UHF came along, there were still mono sets, and would be for many years. So while there may have been no requirement for backwards compatibility with existing 405 line VHF sets, there was a requirement for compatibility with new mono sets."

Not really. It was always planned to run the two systems side by side for about the lifetime of a TV receiver. If people wanted a mono set, they could have bought a 405-line one (knowing that its usefulness would expire suddenly one day); or if they wanted a 625-line set, they would have had to have bought a colour one. Besides which, someone would eventually have worked out how to build a mono receiver capable of using the "designed first and foremost for colour" transmission standard.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Camp Death Star

Thankfully not Death Camp Star...

13. ElReg!comments!Pierre

That's the very definition of cool

or damn close to it at least.

14. Frankee Llonnygog

This is what it means to be British

A drizzle-soaked bloke doing something gloriously pointless in a muddy field.

I'm off to celebrate. Let's fire up the Riley Elf and burn rubber!

15. Arctic fox
    Facepalm

I would just like to say that....................

..............if anyone is intending to move a gas cylinder in that fashion anywhere near me I would much appreciate the earliest possible warning (so that I can leave town immediately). Where I work we use two-wheeled cylinder trolleys - much less exciting and butch than man-hauling cylinders containing flammable/explosive gasses but much safer.

1. daveake

Re: I would just like to say that....................

You might want to stay away from your local BOC depot then, because that's exactly how they do it.

You don't need a trolley to shift a cylinder 5 metres,

>You don't need a trolley to shift a cylinder 5 metres,

As long as it has a safety cover over the valve

Otherwise when you drop it ...be prepared to run ... at 30mph ... very quickly

1. Arctic fox
          Mushroom

Re: "As long as it has a safety cover over the valve"

Indeed, however as far as I could tell from the video the distinctive "bell"-shape of a safety cover was distinguished by its absence. Choice of icon? It seemed amusingly appropriate.

2. A J Stiles

I'm just pleased to find out that I weigh a whole four kilos less than a full cylinder of hydrogen :)

Apropos of not much, 70 kg. of H2 would be about 21.08e+27 molecules.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like