back to article 'It's common for freelancers to farm out work to cheap coders'

This was the week when Mobile World Congress was going on in Barcelona, but although the products were fun, the chat was better at RSA's conference. In the opening keynote, exec chair Art Coviello lambasted industry people for going on and on about a "Cyber Pearl Harbour" and frightening the ordinary folk of the world with their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Hicks
    Pint

I think I must be missing a trick

As a contractor that is, if I'd known about farming stuff out I could just sit back and be a middleman.

The beer icon because, hell, I'd probably live in the pub if I actually did this...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think I must be missing a trick

I once tried getting some work done by a 'cheap coder', not for a contract client, but for a project I was developing...

What a nightmare, 3 separate coders, all as bad as each other, and I've been contracted more than once to fix the problems caused by offshore coders...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed, we were going to farm out some development on one of our projects due to lack of time internally. Used one of the popular 'freelancer' things, made it clear we were interested in a coder, not someone with a 'team'.

Got a few guys try for it, those that were relevant were contacted for more info. One stood out above the rest so we went with him after asking for examples of his work and making sure he understood we were contracting him specifically.

Day one, he says he's going to assign some resources.... hmmm, OK we'll give him the benefit of the doubt

Day two, not heard anything

Day three, he says he'll chase the person in question

Day four, nothing

Day five, we told him we were cancelling

We won't be going down that route again, quite aside from the fact nothing got done, we need to be sure the quality of the work is going to be at least as good as if it had been done in-house.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

In IT the phrase is:

Pay gold bars to CapGemini, Anderson, Fujitsu etc

Have them hire monkeys

Now their monkeys seem to be outsourcing the jobs to meerkats

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Pay peanuts, get Indians. Pay even less, get Chinese, Malysians, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They really should get this fixed. It would go some distance to solving Linux's many security problems.

Be glad that Linux as yet hasn't made it on the desktop. It isn't ready. Windows has far more advanced security and proper ACLs baked in from the initial design of the OS, and that still gets exploited. Just look at Android as an example of what Linux would become if it was popular on the desktop - Android has been hacked to shreds - e.g. has been rooted just by visiting a website - and has more Malware in 2 years than Windows managed in 15+

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I like LInus even more now, he must be feeling like Joe Bauers in Idiocracy.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

...and that's not a good feeling.

But... yeah.

3. jake Silver badge

WTF?

Outside of physically building and populating data centers, I've never landed an IT contract that didn't specifically bar me and my organization from employing a third party not vetted and approved by the employer.

Security standards are slipping ... I blame so-called "ease of use".

4. JaitcH
    FAIL

Michael Chertoff

has zero credibility, especially after he backed the SEE-ALL AIRPORT SCANNERS which have recently been withdrawn from service by the TSA.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like