back to article Texan contends iPod EXPLODED IN HER FACE

Apple is being sued by a Nacogdoches, Texas, woman who claims that her iPod touch exploded in her face. We'll let the cool and dispassionate language of her complaint, filed in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas and repeated word-for-word for your perusal, recount the frightening tale of the unfortunate …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

¡pobrecita!

Indeed. Enough said.

1. fixit_f
      Thumb Up

Re: ¡pobrecita!

Whether they've hammed it up to maximise damages or not, if it did explode in her face as described then she could potentially have lost her sight. Don't know about you lot but my eyesight is worth a lot more than 75k to me!

2. El Presidente

Apple patents the iSplode™

Calls it a feature. It really is very good!

1. rcorrect
      Happy

Re: Apple patents the iSplode™

@El Presidente - You beat me to the idea by 1 minute!

3. rcorrect
    Mushroom

Patent

If the lady was smart she would patent exploding devices then sue Apple patent infringement.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Mushroom

Re: Patent

I think a certain Mr Nobel, plus several others, may have a claim on prior art there..

1. Efros
        Pint

Yeah but he omitted to put an 'i' in front whilst maintaining a capital as the second letter, oh and he never encased it in a white shell. Watch out for iNitro and iGelignite.

2. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

"...she would patent exploding devices then sue Apple..."

...and knowing the logicality and common sense of patent legislation in Texas courts, she'd almost certainly win!

4. jubtastic1
    Trollface

iTouch

The plaintif also notes that had she been driving her bimmer at the time of detonation the sudden loss of viddy could have ended right horrorshow like.

1. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Re: iTouch

Anyone driving with headphones and/or watching film deserves pain and anguish.

2. Andrew Moore
      Thumb Up

I pony well my droogie.

3. Identity
      Boffin

"Horrorshow" is apparently used à la "Clockwork Orange." However, Burgess took that word as a corruption of the Russian хорошо or 'good.'

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Syncing feeling

What's that ticking sound?

6. Test Man
    Mushroom

Maybe if the woman had spelt the device name properly (iPod Touch) then I might be slightly more sympathetic.

But nope, she's an idiot.

7. Velv
    Trollface

Who has their iPod Touch that close to their face? Clearly she wasn't holding it right.

1. DAN*tastik

Noooooooooo!

You beat me to it by 4 minutes! My "First" in the title of my post will haunt me for the rest of my life, and then some years.

8. DAN*tastik
    Stop

Where is a "First!" icon when you need one?

From the article, it seems as if the lawyer failed to accurately describe how the lady was holding the musical device. If it was firmly placed it in her hand, in the same fashion which would be appropriate for non-Apple devices only, then she obviously doesn't have a case

9. bluefin333
    Coat

She clearly needed iProtection

Nothing more to say...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Pirate

Re: She clearly needed iProtection

Now she has an iInjury, and is required to wear and iPatch!

Aye me hearties! Twas a terrible thing, the day me ayePod exploded. Shiver me timbers! It near set fire to me ayePatch! The good ship Cupertino had better be ready to repel boarders! Sharpen up yer cutlasses my lads, aim lawyers and fire a broadside!

Nurse! The drugs. Quickly!

10. Fihart

was the charger plugged in?

The claim that (seemingly) the injury was caused by an electrical shock seems like nonsense but it would be interesting to learn whether the alleged explosion, presumably the battery, happened when the device was connected to its charger.

11. snozdop
    Thumb Down

"ITOUCH" myself...

What a top-notch lawyer this person must be - can't even get something as simple as the product name right - ITOUCH?? - makes me wonder what other details about this case are incorrect...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'medical bills of an astronomical "amount in excess of $600.00,"'

$600?

In the US that gets you an X-ray and a pack of aspirin.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

Re: 'medical bills of an astronomical "amount in excess of $600.00,"'

Comes from cartelizing the medical profession.

"pain, suffering, scarring, disability, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of the usual activities of daily life"

Just the usual ISTUFF withdrawal syndrom. I prescribe Xanax.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can get an X-Ray for that in the USA?

are you sure the decimal is in the right place...

(sure I've had a CT scan for less than £20 abroad but this is the USA we're talking about)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Stop

> I've had a CT scan for less than £20

You have NOT had a CT scan for less than £20.

Somebody paid so you could have a CT scan for less than £20, let's be precise here.

1. Alan Johnson

You can have a CT scan in china for about 25$

1. no_RS

They probably told you it was a CT scan but how would you know it was a CT scan of you and not a CT scan of someone esle that had been re-used many times?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> You can have a CT scan in china for about 25$

Yes, but what will that scan show?

3. ecofeco Silver badge

If you're lucky!

13. Matt Bradley

Has nobody said "iInjury" yet?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'llgetmecoat

14. Jim 59

lol

"...a demon from the pits of Cupertino."

lol

15. Andrew Jones 2

.....and just like all the other stories of other gadgets which suddenly explode for no reason..... it will turn out - she dropped it in something wet, so decided the best thing to do was microwave it to dry it..... then while charging it - was surprised to find that batteries are normally just this side of stable - but when microwaved - they tend to get less stable....

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She bought an iToy, right?

They have warning labels that these iToys stating they are not to be used by humans. Did she read and follow the safety label?

17. Gollum_HKT

@Test Man

Surely you mean iDiot

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iTouch?

iDiot more like.

'Nuff said

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like