back to article Dell takes aim at iPad, uncloaks enterprise-level Win8 tablet

Dell has updated its Windows 8 tablet line, and in doing so has juiced the industry's increasing realization that fondleslabs are here to stay, belong in the enterprise, require enterprise-level security features, and are not just for playing Angry Birds. "At Dell, we have – unequivocally – the most secure, most manageable, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

Dell has updated its Windows 8 tablet line

I genuinely hadn't realised Dell already entered the tablet market!

1. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Re: Dell has updated its Windows 8 tablet line

They have some nice options, but it's not cheap for a home user. Then again, it's not aimed at home users...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well now you know why MS spent $2bn.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This happens to be all the time,

I bought a Nokia and they went out of fashion

I bought a Blackberry and they went out of fashion

I bought Win Vista just before Win 7 was released

I bought Android and was stuck with 1.6

I bought Android and was stuck with 2.shit

I bought Dell and it broke

I bought Dell and it was poor quality (XPS 1645)

I bought Apple and...........

Where the Hell do I go from here?

1. TheVogon
        Mushroom

At least your Nokia is now back in Fashion.

You don't have a Surface Pro yet.....

2. Asok Asus
        Holmes

Panasonic Toughbooks built in Japan. CF-53 is nice, medium size laptop. They have many other form factors. All can be had with W7 Pro 64bit, come with 3-yr factory warranty with support and repair in the U.S.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed, I had not realized they had a "tablet" either.

I guess it pays to advertise.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Yet another advertorial... When is Google going to follow what they did to Interflora and drop El Reg off their search engine?

I guess Dell hasn't heard of the free Mobile Management tools provided by Apple (or the number of vendors who sell management software that works with iOS, like BlackBerry Enterprise Server)

Here's a link to get you started: http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iOS_6_MDM_Sep12.pdf

1. Mick Sheppard
      FAIL

Shush ... don't let facts get in the way of a story on El Reg. Especially one that pokes fun at the usability of Apple equipment. El Reg thinks that calling things fondleslabs and jesus phones is still funny. Its sort of an adolescent type joke that pretty much sums up the level of journalism at play here.

1. Don Jefe

Re:

If the level if journalism is so low here why have to bothered to create an account, comment and continue to visit the site? I just don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          IT Angle

Re: Re:

"If the level if journalism is so low here why have to bothered to create an account, comment and continue to visit the site? I just don't get it."

Some of the posts on this site are interesting, some are shit, others like this one are just paid advertisements full of misinformation but not labelled as such.

If I only visited tech blogs that offered well researched articles, unfortunately I wouldn't read much. They're all a bit shit really, the web with it's SEO, click baiting and attention span of a fruit fly made everything 1000x worse. (bring back the old Byte magazine!)

But it's ok you don't have to get it darling.

2. Dana W

Re: Re:

Because its still better than the circlejerk known as Slashdot.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

El Reg pokes fun at everyone. To not notice this would require being hypersensitive to criticism about one's preferred platform.

3. Alan Bourke

Fondleslabs. Jesus phones ...

... I notice you didn't apply the same scorn to the people calling Microsoft 'M$'.

'M$'. What is this, 1999?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Custard
    Alert

Wise words?

"I'd compare [the security features] to some competitive product – perhaps an iPad," Hand said, and he didn't mean that comparison would be a close one. From his point of view, hackers can de-encrypt encrypted data on an iPad "in minutes," but "In our case, it's secure for good."

Hmm, now there's someone laying down a challenge and asking for trouble...

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Wise words?

Red rag to a bull, was my first thought.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wise words?

They can have all the encryption they want but if the company is using Windows Server then the Chinese will have slurped all they want before you can say William Henry Gates III.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having built, configured, integrated, tested and rolled-out an MDM solution (including getting the actual kit into the hands of the users) for 800+ iDevices in a 4 week period am curious as to how these "independent 3rd party" figures stack up......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So you chucked out an average of 40 a day. Hardly a high throughput....

5. DrXym

Atom processors are the way to go

The latest Atoms might not be speed demons but they'd be more than capable of web browsing, light gaming, word processing etc and they'd do it from a device similar in size and power draw as an ARM processor.

That is potentially a killer combination providing they get the price down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Atom processors are the way to go

Yeah, Clover Trail+ announced today looks like a good improvement on GPU (still a bit weak in this Dell offering IMO); interesting to see what happens next with the 22nm shift.

6. Anonymous Coward 101

"Dell takes aim at iPad, uncloaks enterprise-level Win8 tablet"

It surely can't be long before Apple go bankrupt as the world rushes out to buy great Dell tablet computer products, much as they did to buy Dell's superb smartphones.

1. John Robson Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: "Dell takes aim at iPad, uncloaks enterprise-level Win8 tablet"

Dell did smartphones?

7. 0laf
    Thumb Up

I saw one of the current models used in anger last week. The IT manager using it ,who is a pretty practical chap and hates most flat things (iPads/Androids), was genuinely impressed with the Dell offering. An even more network savvy version could kill off the demand for Apple toys in the business. If it's priced sensibly. A big IF that.

1. Dana W

You expect it to be priced SENSIBLY? You dreamer you.

8. Stuart Ball

Nokia not selling Windows 8 phones can also be the fault of Nokia, not MS, by signing stupid exclusivity agreements with a single carrier, and not releasing the full palette at launch, and a multitude of other reasons other than the OS.

EADON FAIL, AGAIN

9. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Who is paying for the devices?

Are firms really going to rush out and buy enterprise level tablets when with the BYOD model the user buys the device themselves?

My firm is supporting iOS and Android via MobileIron, something that I am a huge fan of. The MobileIron server automatically disables services if any non-compliant software is installed or if the security features are compromised.

I can't see any of our business managers signing off on new tablets while users are bringing in their own kit for configuration.

1. mmeier

Re: Who is paying for the devices?

Even if management does not pay them - most admins love them. No need for another set of tools to provision and control BYOD devices - just use the Windows toolchain most internal IT departments already have

2. Simon Harris
      Thumb Down

The MobileIron server automatically disables services if any non-compliant software is installed or if the security features are compromised.

Hmm.. If it's my device that I've paid for, then I want to be able to do what I like with it, including using what the firm might consider 'non compliant software' without any interference from them.

If the firm want me to use a locked down device, then I'm quite happy for them to pay for it!

1. Darryl

I don't think they can force you to use your own device. If you want to plug your kit into the company network, however, they do have a right to determine that your kit is safe.

1. Simon Harris

I hope you're right Darryl...

As I read it, Moultoneer seemed to be suggesting that while people were bringing their own kit in to 'companify'*, his/her business managers wouldn't be authorising purchases for anyone else, effectively forcing everyone to use their own devices now the ball is rolling.

* think I'll claim ownership of that word!

10. Tom 38
    Headmaster

English as she is spoken

hackers can de-encrypt encrypted data

De-encrypt? De-fucking-encrpyt??

I need a combination of 'nuke exploding' and 'pedant schoolteacher' icons to express my rage in terms of an icon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: English as she is spoken

WHat Did you expect, It aint' FUCKING literAry society around here maTe.

Get on with the times. Coming soon: txt-speak articles.

11. Dana W

Yipee, more giant, heavy, hot Wwindows 8 tablets.

I think what they are missing is the biggest reason Android and iOS tablets both sell. They are NOT Windows.

People are getting spoiled by things that work well. Android and iOS are BOTH good systems that give their users a lot of trouble free fun and enjoyable work. Even people who LIKE windows don't expect it to be fun.

Hardcore Windows people are somewhat Calvinist in their worldview. To them, If its easy to use it must be stupid, and of its actually enjoyable its at least lazy if not actually sinful.

Someone here said it best. If your tablet has a fan, you are doing it wrong.

12. mmeier

10 inch, 660-820 gram (2/4cell battery), Atom-CPU (no fan)

Neither giant not heavy nor hot

At least Eadon does SOME homework before trolling

1. Dana W

Fair enough. My Bad. Still running Windows though, so Ill pass.

2. HipposRule
      Stop

And people diss the Surface Pro price

When it has an i5 processor so can do real work

13. Joey

Not my experience

"At Dell, we have – unequivocally – the most secure, most manageable, and most reliable product portfolio in the industry," My first (and last) Dell product had no less than ten call outs in the first year. Virtually every part was replaced and it still didn't work.

1. dloughlin
      Thumb Up

Re: Not my experience

We buy thousands of Dell devices - desktops, monitors, servers, laptops, SANs etc etc and reliability is extremely good. I could pretty much count failures on one hand over the last couple of years.

Their enterprise kit is pretty good stuff

1. SleepGuy

My experience has been very good with Dell PC's and servers except the Vostro 320 (of which we deployed 120). They have a power supply problem (capacitors) and last approx 1.5 years before going titsup. In addition, it requires the removal and replacement of 37 screws to replace the power supply (absolutely horrid design). Dell has never acknowledged the problem, provided a revised power supply or anything. Replacement power supplies are unavailable through Dell now so it's a major dent in my budget for PC's which should have lasted until planned replacement next year.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

well they did punt the Vostro as the cheaper business option, but not your fault if there's a design flaw.

As a small business we haven't a huge number of desktops but I've always suggested Optiplex over Vostro or Dimension because Dell claim to support the components for a long period.

2. Dana W

The last three Dell laptops I had were so bad, they put me off Dell completely. Ghastly build quality.

2. mmeier

Dell had two "known bad" kits. One of the smaller Optiplex and a Vostro series. Both similar problems (Power supply).

Their notebooks have long been known as "nothing special" but over the last 5+ years where known as "solid". The Desktops (both Dimension and Optiplex) are mostly quite sturdy, reliable if dull maschines. Quite, easy to maintain with decend upgrade capabilities. Just do not loose the mounting elements :)

8+ year old PIVs still running, still silent are not uncommon, there are four in the (extended) family. End of live is approaching only because upgrading past XP is not realistic and Penguins are fed to the Sharks

14. SleepGuy

Dell tablets

We used the Dell Latitude "convertible" tablets for years, recently switched to Galaxy Note 10.1's due to the much better price and battery life. Dell severely over-estimates battery life, it's a shame because it just leads to disappointment. The Latitude XT2's we have had an advertised 11-hr battery life. In reality, you're doing good to get 4 hrs. out of them. I can also buy 3 GN10.1's for the price of 1 of the Dell convertibles.... I seriously doubt you can get 20 hrs of battery life out of these as claimed...probably closer to 8...

1. mmeier

Re: Dell tablets

6-10 hours for the base unit (2/4 cell battery) is a common figure for the Latitude-10 versions already out from the forums. This unit does not have other "power-hogs" so it should be the same. About the same you get from a Note 10.1. in a realistic use. Claims of 20h typically include a powered dock

Price-wise it is more a 2 Note for 1 Latitude if you go for the 3G models on both. OTOH I would not take a Note 10.1, the unit had to many "not yet ready" elements like semi-stable software, low quality WLAN and a less than perfect pen integration. Windows is a lot more mature as a penable OS (8-10 years) and it shows in many fine details

15. W. Anderson

Dells Windows desperation

Dell may claim great quality in their hardware, but delude themselves by expecting savvy technology decision makers to opt for their Win8 tablets over better quality Android and Apple iPad devices with far superior, and particularly more secure software base.

Even Dell's push of clients toward Microsoft Azure Cloud services to host these Win8 devices will be met with great skepticism. One, because MS cloud has faltered badly on at least three occasions, the last being a few days ago, and two, Azure has not shown competitive functionality, reliability and (again) security when compared to the overwhelmingly popular and growing Linux based OpenStack Cloud Services usage, to which even Dell was committed before seeking servitude to Redmond in their private sale venture.

1. mmeier

Re: Dells Windows desperation

Better quality Androids? Where? The only penable Android is the Samsung Note family of "cheap chinese plastic(1)" that is lacking quite a few of the DELL features like a user replaceable battery and a metal body with a rubberized back (Unlike the very slippery Note 10.1 that was unuseable without a sleeve)

The iOS devices are better build but do not play in the same game since they are touch only devices like most Android. If in doubt I would go with iOS since there I have at least a chance to get updates / patches 12 month from now.

More secure? Security on Windows is quite good these days (and has been since XP SP2), Just remember NOT to work as root. And even that is easy this days, even more so in a corporate environment. OTOH the Note series has an unpatched bug that allows root access and Android in general isn't all that secure not to mention patching for devices older 6 month.

No need to use Azure or any other cloud, this is a complete OS not something stripped down. If necessary you could write software on the unit. If you want a cloud - choose the one you like, Windows does not restrict you. Works fine with Amazon, Google and I guess even OpenStack (Only tested the first two)

(1) Yes I know Samsung is Korean. iPhone, Galaxy, HTC - all made by Foxcon (To loosely quote a Kosmonaut)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dells Windows desperation

"particularly more secure software base" - you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about. IOS alone has had about 400 security vulnerabilities, and Android is Linux based so is like Swiss Cheese and is riddled with more Malware in 2 years than Windows managed in the last 16. Both IOS and Android have been able to be completely rooted just by visiting a website.

Win8 tablets are way more secure in comparison with secure boot, etc. and most importantly are easy and secure to manage in an enterprise. Plus Win8 is more efficient, more stable and requires fewer resources.

nb - Azure still has a better record than say Amazon.

16. Gil Grissum
    Pint

More for less

What Dell has managed to do here is offer more in their Windows 8 Tablet for a lower price than what MS offers their less well equipped Surface Pro. Wouldn't it be funny if Dell sold more of theirs than MS sells of the Surface Pro? Can you see the OEMs thumbing their nose at MS for producing their own tablets?

1. mmeier

Re: More for less

Dell offers less for less money:

Surface/Pro is a core i5 with 4GB, USB3, full sized SSD

Latitude 10 is an Atom with 2GB, USB2, slower SATA etc.

Dell offers some security enhancements that may or may not be needed. The 20h battery life is either totally unrealistic or with a docking station that has a second battery. 6-10h is realistic depending on the battery used (2 or 4 cell) and usage.

Benefit of the Dell: If you can get a second battery it is quick swap capabel so you could carry two and still stay around 1kg.

=======================

As for the OEM "thumbing their nose": MS get's paid either way. The S/P does not make much money at the price it is sold (1)for and MS actually WANTS more tablet pc on the market. And companies like Samsumg will sell more of their Atom units (base Ativ 500 is 650€ in germany) as will Acer with their cheap "touch only" stuff.

What the S/P does is setting a price limit for many penable systems when it becomes available world wide. Even "top of the line" Atoms (Dell and once they fix the typical quality problems Lenovo) can not go higher and will likely end up around 800€ for a 3G or LTE equiped penable by June, 700€ for a WLAN only.

Core-i based tablet pc / convertibles will also be restricted in price. Some brands can get away with "old style" prices because the offer special capabilities (Fujitsu T90x series) but many will either end up around 1000-1200€ for a similar equipped unit by June or offer more (like 8GB, powered docks etc).

(1) Similar sized/equiped units with an older generation i5/ULV went for 1000€ in 2011. Those had cheaper plastic bodies and lower resolution screens (Resolution heavily affects the price of the penable digitizer). And from quite a few sources neither Asus nor Samsung reaped in "big money" it was more a "we can deliver those too, no need to go Fujitsu/Lenovo"

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

I thought the purpose of the Surface was to inspire/shame/encourage/whatever the OEMs to get on with developing and producing windows 8 tablets. I'm sure Microsoft benefit from a greater variety of them at all specs and prices.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft deliberately didn't undercut it's OEMs.

17. Wardy01
    IT Angle

Dam guys ... At least get the comarisons right !

It should be:

XPS 10 = Surface = ipad

XPS 12 = Surface Pro

An ipad is a mobile platform on mobile hardware, so is a surface.

A surface pro / XPS 12 is ultrabook / laptop grade hardware running a desktop OS.

When you get that ...

They are roughly comparable, and at similar prices for the spec.

Bearing in mind Microsoft have their hands in Dells pocket right now (to the tune of $2bn) I doubt their offerings are going to be that different so as to leave either side completely at a disadvantage ... if anything I suspect both would be overpriced as per some high level Microsoft demand in order to take the apple angle of "lets make it exclusive so people want it" lets face it, it's worked for apple for years and Microsoft is very good at copying other peoples approach.

It's also worth noting that the comparison between an ipad and an XPS 10 is a fair one and the study shows how much dells study lacked depth because personally I would have put them on roughly even ground based on what I know about the 2 products.

Personally, I think the best tablets on the market are the Surface Pro at the moment.

You get a full laptop effectively in the tablet form with ultrabook grade hardware inside, but a bit more flexibility in the spec would be cool however the top model does feature a 128GB SSD which spec junkies will like.

I think the use of an i7 cpu is fairly new to tablets as most have stuck to the i5 due to power requirements, for that reason I can't imagine the real world battery life of an XPS 12 giving a lot of up time before it needs a wall to slurp from.

I don't see a comparable product from Apple ... that would be like installing Mac OS on an ipad+ (+ meaning something of higher spec at least) but when you look around companies do offer to build Mac OS tablets ... for about $3,000 so in all fairness to Microsoft I think they might be on to something here witht he surface, its a good mid range product with a good balance of feature offerings.

My problem with dell as choice of partner ...

My XPS m1730 (apparently the mutts nuts of laptops at the time retailed around $2,500) was ok but like many others had many "little issues" that I had to go back to dell for.

A mate recently bought what he thinks is the best thing since computing began (yet another dell laptop) ... he's on his 3rd replacement (that alone says it all to me).

We use dell around the office too ... the number spare parts floating around is beyond a joke ... its an office not a dell storage facility.

When dell start making reliable products that actually look good (lets face it, for style I definately prefer the ipad to any of these XPS tablets) i'll start to seem interested, until then there's always something like the asus iconia w710 which is just as good and at a cheaper price point.

And lets face it:

All that "security stuff dell is so proud of" is built in to the OS so any windows 8 tablet has it, expensive or not!

I don't think i've ever seen dell advertise something they added to a product, they always seem to advertise that stuff that Microsoft did.

And yes ... this is basically an "edvert" anyway ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like