back to article Quantum computer one step closer after ‘true’ quantum calculation

An international group of physicists has had an important “first” acknowledged by the journal Nature Photonics: they built the first complete single-qubit system to implement a key algorithm in quantum computing. The research, abstract here, is an end-to-end implementation of a quantum phase estimation algorithm. Quantum phase …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg: May I propose....

Register folks: May I propose that the first 20 people to make comments based upon Treknobable references be punished?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Reg: May I propose....

Certainly. As you were the first to raise the subject, your punishment should be the most severe ;-)

p.s. you have just lost The Game.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: you have just lost The Game.

What game?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: you have just lost The Game.

This Game:

website

wikifailia

2. frank ly
      Headmaster

You lose additional points for misspelling 'Treknobabble'.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Phht! Call me when the Heisenberg Compensator is finished.

1. tony2heads
        Joke

Heisenberg Compensator

The cat is working on it

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. HMB
    Mushroom

Send In the Black Helicopters

Quick! Send in the Black Helicopters to prevent the end of the world as we know it as researchers armed with Quantum Computers easily break the world's encryption. :P

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Black Helicopters Herald in Programs and Pogroms, an Intelligence Coup?

Quick! Send in the Black Helicopters to prevent the end of the world as we know it as researchers armed with Quantum Computers easily break the world's encryption. :P ..... HMB Posted Monday 25th February 2013 03:06 GMT

You might like to consider, HMB, that researchers armed with Quantum Computers who/which also be armed researchers with Quantum Computers and also Researching Quantum Computer Arms researching Quantum Computer Arms for Advanced Intelligent Military Service and Servers realise Black Helicopter Command and Control is Remotely a TXT Power to be Used and/or Abused as IT decides for Quantum Computer Input to Output for Universal Media ReProgramming of Earthed Assets with Umpteen SMARTR Media Show Streams which are also SMARTR Media Streaming Shows.

Would such a Master Pilot Program be considered too alien and surreal at the human base levels and escape all and any attention and recognition and be totally unhindered and free to do as its and ITs researcher please with SMARTR EMPowering Media Programs and Projects ...... HyperRadioProActive IT.

cc ...... BBC DG re New Mojo and Fabless Creative Directorship with Virtual Network Outposts in SMARTR Edutainment Hubs.

bcc ..... Thames House/Holywood Loughside

I trust you are keeping up with things, El Reg? After all, it is not as if you are being kept in the dark about everything, or anything either, is it?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Re: Black Helicopters Herald in Programs and Pogroms, an Intelligence Coup?

So, you turn up, take the piss out of the headline writers, and also the resident nutter? Maybe you should dial it back a little?

2. Eddie Edwards
          Alien

First rule of El Reg: don't diss El Reg. I do so regularly and all my comments are moderated. They always seem to post my comments in the end, though, so I'm not sure why they bother. Probably to stop me getting into fights.

Second rule of El Reg: if you are going to criticize them, don't criticize them for being a red-top. They're a red-top on purpose. It's ironic - or at least it was. Now it's more self-parody. But, still, it's their identity, and you could no more have El Reg without that than you could have it without Orlowski's broadsheet-quality trolling.

Third rule of El Reg: amanfrommars has been here longer than you have. Even if you are amanfrommars - it's not clear it's even been the same person all this time. And I'm pretty sure his apparent schizophrenia is a put-on.

3. Fibbles

"Anyone else noticed the ramblings of this nutter appearing on El Reg recently?"

Oh hi, you must be new here.

/Gene Wilder

4. Neoc

OK, no Treknobabble...

...but are we allowed to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow?

5. Dick Pountain

I think you guys should take this more seriously - there's a lot you can do with one bit. Or is there? (Answer Y or N)

1. phr0g

"I think you guys should take this more seriously - there's a lot you can do with one bit. Or is there? (Answer Y or N)"

My answer would be "YN"

2. Crisp

Or is there?

Maybe.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: a lot you can do with one bit

I vote Y, N, and everywhere in between.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

?

John Connor?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: John Connor?

m m mom?

8. Spotfist
    Coat

But...

How did I know that the comments section would be filled with drivel of this calibre? No one bothered to ask the most important question of all!

Will it run Crysis?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Re: But...

That is uncertain at this time.

1. Spotfist
        Coat

Re: But...

Probably DirectX issues...

9. breakfast Silver badge
    Coat

The future of computing

With quantum computing humanity will finally be able to create a new internet filled with pictures of Schroedinger's lolcats.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: The future of computing

pron. It will always be about pron, you heathen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The future of computing

It is a simple yet guaranteed progression: lolcats --> pron --> squirrels with tits.

Rule 34.

10. S4qFBxkFFg
    Meh

Meanwhile...

...a lab worker in one of Fort Meade's basements is reading this article and getting nostalgic for when they managed to to this a few years ago.

Possibly.

1. hplasm
      Boffin

Re: Meanwhile...

...a lab worker in one of Fort Meade's basements is reading this article and getting nostalgic for when they will at some time in the near future, manage to do this a few years ago...

11. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Was the answer 42?

Well, was it?

OK, time to go

Mine is the one with the cassette tapes of the radio play in the pocket

12. ecofeco Silver badge
    Windows

I Actualy Almost Under...

DERP DERP

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome!

Let us be absolutely fucking clear here. I just wrote the following code to test if the answer is correct and voila! It is!

for(int i = 0; i < 256; i++)

{

if(answer == i)

return true;

}

return true;

Fucking A!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like