back to article Is it a bird? Is it a cloud? No! It's just a new Seagate biz NAS box

Seagate has added one, two and four-bay desktop filers to its product range, calling it Seagate Business Storage. The boxes also feature an external SATA bus to hook up removable drives. The manufacturer has, unlike its rivals, mercifully resisted the temptation to call the network-attached storage a personal or small-biz "cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Silverburn

calling it Seagate Business Storage

Adding Business into the title = "add extra 30% to price".

1. Annihilator

The word "NAS" also adds about 30-40% to the price too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Warranties

Judging by Seagate drive warranties these days, which drives do they suggest you use to fill it? Not Seagate ones, surely?

3. Sandtitz Silver badge
    FAIL

Blackarmor

The BlackArmor NAS systems were utter crap.

A failed fan under warranty? Seagate would only replace the whole NAS unit.

Data transfer errors with SMB or FTP? Maybe the next fw update will fix it. (never did)

One word: avoid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blackarmor

Yes we have had numerous problems with a Blackarmor at work, after several replacements it seems ok now but I still don't trust it. Next time we needed a similar small NAS we bought QNAP which has been great.

2. pixl97
      Flame

>Data transfer errors with SMB or FTP? Maybe the next fw update will fix it. (never did)

Our Linux router shows some interesting logs from one of these BlackArmors

'martian destination 127.0.0.1 from 192.168.10.143, dev eth2'

(.143 is the BA unit)

WTF, who fucked up the network stack in these units. How do 127 packets even leave the device?!?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I got one even better. It has two NIC ports. The CAM table showed both MAC's being advertised out of both ports. Each NIC was on a different network. A packet capture also showed that it was ARPing both addresses out of each port. It also wanted to phone home; there was an option to turn that off and yet it still did. It was assigned static IP's and since it wanted to phone home, it assumed that the gateway could handle DNS queries.

Seagate is not alone here though; many of these products are equally as bad.

1. P. Lee

Looks like they bridged both ethernet ports and the loopback device.

It amazes me how companies persist in building their own networking stuff instead of going off the shelf.

4. Annihilator

USM

"In other words, eSATA with a makeover."

Or in even more accurate/cynical words, eSATA with a proprietary convertor dongle required.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Passive mode

I have a BlackArmour NAS and one the biggest issues I have with it is the ftp server.

The ftp server it uses is VSFTP which normally doesn't have any problem. However, Seagate, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to compile the VSFTP daemon without passive mode support. This mean that there are many clients (including browsers) that can not access the ftp server. I can not think of any legitimate reason why they would do this.

If you are considering buying any Seagate NAS box make sure its ftp server supports passive mode.

6. jonathanb Silver badge

Proliant Microserver

How does it compare with a Proliant Microserver with FreeNAS? The Seagate model is more expensive, it is any better?

7. Michael Habel
    Linux

How hackable are these things.

I mean can you install a funplug add-in to install other softwate, like Bittorrent, DLNA, or even a Webserver on it?

I picked up a Freecom DDNC as featured HERE <html>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/28/ten_two_bay_nas_drives_storage/page2.html</html> off Fleabay about a Week ago.

Yes its S L O W ! ! !, and yes it needs the flipping unlock Key to activate the broken DAAP (under iTunes 10+), and the Transmission Bittorrent Client, THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH the embedded Twonky Media Server. Which BTW is also pitifully outdated.

Thankfully we have the equally adept Conceptronics' CH3HNAS, which baring some cosmetic changes is in short the same Box. After installing said Firmware from Conceptronics I now have a working CH3HNAS with everything but the Bittorrent active. Installing said funplug however manages to fix that little snag too.

Replace the otherwise working DLNA Server with Mediatomb and its just became a very nice little Box for 'round 30.00€'s All in all the setup is fairly straight forward for it too.

Unlike Freecom which hasn't released feck-all, Conceptronic has released all the Source Code for their CH3HNAS, and even supply a SDK for it too. Granted it'll be a bitch to get it complied now that its so old. But credit where its due, and to where its not!

AND NO KEYS!!

Tux cause Linux will always find a working way though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How hackable are these things.

The BlackArmour are hackable. In fact I hacked the one I have to install a VSFTP server that handled passive mode. You can easily install any version of linux that runs on an ARM processor. A simple search will reveal details.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like