back to article Civilization peaks: BEER-dispensing arcade game created

Western civilization is taking a drunken step forward with a what's claimed to be a unique conjunction of one of mankind's most basic forms of entertainment and the video game that provides one of its latest ones. The Beercade, aka The Last Barfighter, is a full-sized cabinet arcade game (for younger readers that's six feet of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. eldel

Some hints for beer

Hi thee south for about 450 miles, find the Stone brewery. Sample. Extensively. Actually Safeway and Raleys/Bel Air carry their stuff so you just have to go to your local supermarket. I wouldn't suggest starting with Ruination IPA or Arrogant Bastard - but I would offer the opinion that they disprove the assumption that all American beer is crap (admittedly 90%+ is of a quality that would make a cat ashamed to piss it - but there's some really good stuff as well).

Oh - and if you can get hold their winter ale (Oaked Double Bastard) make sure you don't have any other plans for the rest of the evening. Reminds me of Robinsons Old Tom of many decades past.

1. Big O
      Go

Re: Some hints for beer

I went to America expecting only Budweiser... went on the San Diego beer tour and was duly corrected. Double bastard is awesome :)

1. Dana W

Beer in America is like chocolate in America. You can get very good stuff, but you do have to know where to go. It won't be just anywhere.

Sadly, when a corporation in either gets to large, lowest common denominator hit price point and all turns to shit........

2. Andrew Moore
        Pint

SD has both the Stones Brewery (Arrogant Bastard) and the Firehouse. Both great purveyors of beer. Good beer is making traction stateside but you do need to know where to look.

A bit like Ireland. Shameless plug: if any of you are coming over for St Patricks (or even The Gathering) and you need a guide to pubs and restaurants selling Irish Craft Beer, there's an App for that; BeoirFinder (available for both iOS and Android).

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well that's like going to Oz and expecting to find only Fosters.

2. frank ly
      Facepalm

@eldel Re: Some hints for beer

"Hi thee south for about 450 miles, find the Stone brewery. "

Starting from where? Why not tell us the destination in the first place? Have you been drinking?

2. kyle elliott

American beer

American beer can be amazing, just stay away from the mass produced crap. Our microbrews are fantastic, and rival any European brew any day of the week (I enjoy myself a good European brew still).

Dunedin brewery in Florida has some of the best beer anywhere, and is constantly coming up with new and fantastic ones.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Megaphone

Re: American beer

Correct!

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Turbodog, Abita Springs, Louisiana. From some one who has known the head brewer of Budvar, back in the day when his pride in a Ford Capri was dented by the up and down antics of my dad's Citroen BX (the great thing about the autobahns is that you don't have to stop in Germany for lunch).

Anyone else notice the similarity of the artwork on the side of these cabinets to the magnificent poster for National Lampoon's Vacation?

http://www.impawards.com/1983/posters/national_lampoons_vacation.jpg

3. Youngone Silver badge
      Angel

Its very cool that there's a Dunedin brewery in Florida. Shame there's no Florida brewery in Dunedin.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Peak civilization? Now there's an idea.

4. Herby
    Pint

Will wonders never cease.

Beer and gaming. What will they think of next? Sex and gaming (that WOULD be a combination)?

(shakes head)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will wonders never cease.

Sex and beer?

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Go

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED! YOUR CIVILIZATION DISCOVERED: BEER GAMING!

A Barbarian Cohort appears at your gate!

A Barbarian Cohort appears at your gate!

There is not enough money to build a stadium!

6. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Pint

There is not enough beer

You must construct additional breweries.

</Starcraft>

7. Charles 9

To those in Europe, please don't knock all American beers. Admitted, the big brand names are perhaps thin an unsatisfying for your tastes, but most Americans drink it for (relatively) cheap refreshment, not necessarily because of its flavor (Note: the best-selling beers in America tend to be "light" beers--that should say something). However, for those who want more honest beers, we have a great amount of diversity thanks to a booming microbrewing industry, and these microbreweries are not afraid to experiment, so you can find just about anything from the full-bodied to the far-out-there, just by asking around a little.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

@Charles 9

Fair point! upvoted!

2. Rampant Spaniel

Well said, as an expat I can concur. You won't get the same but you will get as good if you look. There's no point judging American beers on the basis of what you can get in an average bar. It's like judging British beer based on tesco lager (or burgers ;)). The market for decent boom juice is much smaller (as a percentage) than in the UK but the microbreweries do a great job. The odd one goes rogue and gets too commercial but there is no shortage of decent ale here although I do try and create one. Decent wine is a little harder to find but again it is out there.

You might not get the bishops fingers here but something like big swell ipa is alright :)

1. kain preacher

Try California wines then.

2. LateNightLarry
        Paris Hilton

@Rampant Spaniel...

You just have to know where to look to find decent wine in the US... Start you tour in little ol' Napa Valley. Napa Valley has over 400 wineries, some very small to some VERY LARGE... Small ones tend to be the better wines, but even the big boys have some decent fermented grape juice. And do they love to experiment... whether with grapes or specific vineyards, or blending a wine with some small doses of different varietals to produce some fantastic wines. Some are available ONLY at the winery, some are available ONLY by mail order. Some, like Silver Oak Cellars, sell out at the release party, and they only have enough left to sample and sell at the winery, and if you're lucky, you can find their releases at a few high-end purveyors, or maybe your favorite restaurant, like The French Laundry. One of the hardest to get is Screaming Eagle... They offer no tours or tastings at the winery (it's not even listed in the phone book, and only a few lucky limousine drivers know where the winery is located)... the only way you can get Screaming Eagle is by mail order, IF you're on the mailing list, and there's a LONG waiting list to get on the mailing list... of course they also sell out every year, and I have never been able to get a bottle, even a $800 (or more) each.

Paris, 'cause if I had her money, I could afford to get a bottle of Screaming Eagle, or maybe Michael Mondavi's Spellbound, at about $40 a bottle.

8. pbradle9

Stolen idea ... and not discreetly

The Arkeg was invented long before this -- they used their innovation time to steal an idea ... and not even a very well hidden one, as it had been on Shark Tank (http://sharktankclips.com/s04e12-arkeg/) ... and Endgaget ... and CNET ... and Digg ... and Gizmodo ... and, Jesus, like 50 other outlets (http://www.drinkngame.com/press.html).

And they didn't even copy it well. It plays one flash game? The original plays something like 200.

Regardless, it's a really dumb idea, which is why it got panned on Shark Tank -- so they stole a stupid idea ... in their innovation period ... Google would be proud.

9. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Now to hook this up to one of those pee-controlled urinal games

and the circle will be complete.

Now, that's peak civilisation.

10. Haku

I want to play a Russian copy of this game...

...for the vodka!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Pint

Re: I want to play a Russian copy of this game...

That would be an adaptation of STALKER.

11. Jerren
    Thumb Up

How about the Highland games...

Port the old highland games with the caber toss and swap that sissy beer tap for a Scotch dispenser, higher you score the older the single malt you get. Now that would be worth playing.

12. gizmo23
    Pint

American Lager

Also try Brooklyn lager from the Brooklyn brewery. You can get it in the UK too! I don't normally touch either US beer nor am I a lager drinker by habit but I was pleasantly surprised.

13. tony2heads
    Linux

should dispense Tactical Nuclear Penguin

http://www.brewdog.com/product/tactical-nuclear-penguin

That would bring down any civilized standards

logo - obvious

This topic is closed for new posts.