back to article Microsoft! Bing! must! make! Yahoo! more! money! moans! Mayer!

Yahoo! chief exec Marissa Mayer has complained that cosying up to Microsoft to use its Bing search engine hasn't given her company the market share or money she was hoping for. Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference in San Francisco - her first investor gathering appearance since she took over at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chemist

Yahoo!

Remind me what do they actually do ?

1. JoshOvki

Re: Yahoo!

Ya-who?

2. Captain DaFt

For me, they provide reliable throw-away email addresses for those idiot sites that require you to use one as your log-in name. ;)

3. eulampios

sleeping with the enemy/Microsoft

4. Euripides Pants
      Windows

They're a Bing rebrander.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A bunch of idiots who have a software product that is so awful it is not wanted on its own, so they punt is like malware.

2. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Also ran + Also ran =

Also ran, who would have thought it.

Well no one at Yahoo - maybe they should have googled it.

3. P_0

My only interaction with Yahoo is occasionally using Yahoo Finance, just to look at news, and they sometimes have good video interviews. Other than that I have no interaction with them.

Aside from the news, whatever it is they do, they're doing it wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jealousy

Actually, its jealousy after hearing the Google paid Apple $1 biliion for it to have exclusive and default search provider status on iphones/pads etc.

Just wondering, is it a Woman thing?

And her newfangled Yahoomail is a crawl now.

What do you expect, MS. Mayer? Staring at the sinkhole, are we?

5. ukgnome

The logical step would be ads on mobile platform.

Whilst everyone hates ads - they need to adapt to the new mangled way of doing stuff.

1. Charles Manning

Where's the logic in that?

Who would run a Yawho ad-serving platform on their mobile device?

It makes sense to run Google stuff on an Android, because Google provides a whole fleet of mobile serves and on ithingy Apple (+ Google Maps + search) provides everything.

Where exactly is there a mobile niche for yahoo to step into?

Of course Yahoo could make their own mobile OS in competition with Android, but who would back that?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And here is the fault.

"I'm not confused. Our biggest business problem right now is impressions"

No it's that you shove intrusive flash ad's all over the pace half the time blocking the screen (if you don't use an ad blocker) , the content you do shove out is shit (I REALLY don't care if someone from reality show was seen out in a party dress last night) and it still looks like it was designed in the 90's.

Clear out the crap, clean up the interface, get rid of the idiot forums (make Daily Mail ones look balanced and informed) and decide what you actually want to be?

1. dogged

Re: And here is the fault.

An email provider with a shitty IMAP implementation?

Alas, even this still looks desperate to be like Google.

7. Just a geek
    Meh

"

Yahoo!

Remind me what do they actually do ?"

And that is the big question. They are kinda search, kinda forums but don't have a focus anywhere. They need to pick a direction and a service then sell that. Right now they are doing several different things and all of them are terrible.

'Meh' Because that's exactly how I feel about yahoo.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Too slow!

SO to help them out with their impressions I fired up Yahoo.com to see what kind of a search engine we're dealing with (which is basically the only aspect that might interest me).

The icon says it all.. First it loads a page filled with content; which also takes its sweet time. And before I can enter anything some flash-like bar sssllloowwwlly appears at the top and urges me to stay with Yahoo. Sure; we're not talking minutes here, but it feels slow and sluggish. I don't care for a ton of news items to lead; during my visit all I care for is a search query.

Google starts clean, the page loads in a second and I can start searching. Bing starts less clean yet IMO non-intrusive since their daily background easily loads, the name already suggests as much, in the background. And for me it somewhat adds to the overall experience too.

If I want news I'll go "news.google.com" or "news.bing.com" (though 'news.msn.com' makes more sense). I'm not going to a search engine to wait for a news page to load.

The fail should be obvious: I was using SeaMonkey which has both AdBlock Plus and NoScript. I can't imagine what kind of stuff I would have gotten without those two.

10. Oor Nonny-Muss
    Coat

Perhaps I'm missing the point...

Why would I want to go to Yahoo! to get Bing search results? Surely I'd go to Bing...

Not that I would go to Bing ordinarily...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps I'm missing the point...

That is indeed what stopped me going to Yahoo.

I prefer to vary my search providers to keep the profiles of me confused. I tend to shift between three decent search engines, which don't include Yahoo because it's just Bing, as is Altavista nowdays.

11. magrathea

I think in all the years i have used yahoo messenger i have ever once been moved to click on one of the idiot news items that appear in the splash thingy that pops up. You would have thought that one item, once would have drawn my attention..but no; nothing but celebrity drivel and fashion every - single - time. I tried to use yahoo search once, but the same problem but more so. You are bombarded by entirely uninteresting diversions that you don't want to be diverted by. Whatever makes yahoo awful seems to be part of a conscious, consistent policy on their part

12. vic 4
    WTF?

Market share?

I must be missing the point, but how does partnering with MS/bing give them more market share? I'm assuming that they weren't expecting bing to prefer them in their search results and that there must be something I failed to pick up on. Using bing to search from yahoo shouldn't have much effect unless those results take people away from yahoo.

Never navigated to yahoo for at least 5 years.

13. Tom 7

cosying up to Microsoft didnt get her she was hoping for

does it ever? At least they're still with us.

14. Philippe
    WTF?

Bing? Yahoo?

Two turkeys trying to be an Eagle.

When was the last time a partnership with MS brought anything but problem?

She should cut her loses and partner with someone who understands the search business.

Yandex, Baidu, some guy down the pub anyone would do a better job.

Otherwise, or as well as, go and see Samsung, give them a billion dollars (which she now apparently has got ) and become the default search engine on Galaxy as the iPhone place is already taken.

You're welcome

15. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I'm confused?

"I'm not confused"

Is this becoming a trend that top corporate people have to state publicly that they are not confused? Anyone an idea where that came from?

Confused, yours.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. southpacificpom
    FAIL

What do Yahoo do?

They run email services for ISP's that fall over regularly and get compromised.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Yahoo-Xtra-customers-emails-hacked/tabid/423/articleID/286332/Default.aspx

That shit is what you get when you outsource your stuff.

18. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Yahoo has to play to their strength! SPAM!

Seriously, that's the ONLY thing that Yahoo is #1 for, their support of spammers and making it hard to report abuse. If that doesn't deserve bankruptcy, please tell me what does.

Suggestion: Rather than supporting spammers, Yahoo Mail should provide integrated anti-spammer tools to break ALL of the spammers' infrastructure, pursue ALL of the spammers' accomplices, and protect ALL of the spammers' victims (mostly from their own stupidity, but there are lots of Joe jobs, too). I'm sure I'm not the ONLY person who hates spam and who would donate a bit of time to breaking the spammers' so-called business models. You don't have to help, but it would only take a small percentage of good Samaritans to cut the spammers away from the extremely small supply of suckers.

19. Donald Becker

Yahoo messages boards might be semi-useful, if they weren't spam sewers

Go to any finance message board and you'll see that it is filled with newsletter offers and dozens of sock puppet follow-ups. Post something relevant and it's down-voted.

It has been that way for years, and they show no interest in fixing the problems. And this is one of their most valuable "properties"...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like