back to article Quantum backs up 156TB backup box over EMC's back lawn

Quantum has introduced its second-largest deduplicating hard-drive array the DXi6800, and refreshed its top-end tape library. First, disks: the firm's dedupe gear runs from the low-end DXi V1000 through the 4000 and 6700 and up to the high-end 8500. The 6800 fits between the 6700 and 8500 models. Its capacity ranges from 13TB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How fast?

16TB/hour is 4.5GB/sec. Over what network? To slow SATA drives? Seriously?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How fast?

I've not looked up the specific device, but these sort of VTLs tend to have multiple Gige/10Gige/Fibrechannel connections, I don't see a problem in thinking that they can easily handle this sort of bandwidth. The back end disks should be ok as SAATA because they'll be fairly widely striped to aggregate bandwidth.

1. InsaneGeek
        Unhappy

Re: How fast?

Assume a fully pegged 10gig network interface usable capacity is ~2.8TB/hour (1000MB/sec * 3600sec * 80% usable). So to hit a rate of 16.3 TB/hr means it would need to support a sustained injest rate of 5.6x 10gig ethernet interfaces fully consumed.

If they can actually get anywhere near that for non perfectly designed benchmarketing workloads color me surprised... as I'm guessing that it's simply another storage vendor magical stat.

2. jabuzz

It's about longevity

While I am sure the Quantum tape library is more dense that the competing options, will it still be around in 5 years or even 10 years. A TS3500 purchased 10 years ago (as a 3584 as it was back then) could have gone through several tape drive technology changes, would still be fully warranted from IBM for a maintenance contract and could still be upgrade and have more frames different drives etc. added to it all in incremental stages as the budget allowed.

3. seven of five

so how is the i6000

with 2500 slots and 48 drives?

Just asking, if they really want to mess with the big guys.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So if this is the case...

When is Dell going to buy Quantum then?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like