back to article Apple serves up 25 BEEELLIONTH iTunes download

Apple's iTunes Music Store has served its 25 billionth download, and is now shuttling tunes to Macs, PCs, and iDevices at a average rate of 15,000 per minute. "We are grateful to our users whose passion for music over the past 10 years has made iTunes the number one music retailer in the world," said Apple's internet software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple (maker of consumer gadgets) = quantity over quality.

1. JDX Gold badge

That's why they sell the most expensive gadgets and are focusing on margin rather than market share?

1. Darryl

Expensive ≠ Quality

1. JDX Gold badge

>>Expensive ≠ Quality

True but MacBooks and iPads have a real feel of quality to them even if it's misleading. Apple sure do make good boxes.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You are defensive, in a strange way. Perhaps you'll find someone to help you at 0800-IAMFUCKEDUP

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sure you know as well as the rest of us, that whenever Apple announce anything it's preceded by them blowing their trumpet with XX billion downloaded/sold/uploaded.

It's quite sad if a company's proclaimed numbers are the justification for your purchases.

2. Dana W
      FAIL

Obvious troll is obvious.

That's why all my Apple kit wears like iron and has amazingly high resale value.

2. JDX Gold badge

It could be argued iTunes was Jobs' biggest success, not iPhone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely the two go hand it hand?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

According to me, Steve Jobs biggest success was making people forget what they are buying, and making them believe something is given to them. This isn't an Apple knock, think about how crafty this is to leave things open ended.

And no, I don't buy Mac.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yadayada

I been buying my music from itunes music store start. I had earlier stopped buying music when the CD price went over 100 finish old money. That is without inflation considered 16€.

But when i could get a song for 99c or a an album for 990c, I began buying again.

Interestingly I checked Spotify some weeks ago, and compared the music quality to my 256kbit musik from itunes store. I could hear the difference on my small computer speakers. The music from itunes where clearly much better.

I tried a few different songs, with the same result on all. Never that I would use Spotify. So you who whine about Apple quality doesn't have a clue. Ok it's not lossless, but with my equipment that's not needed, and I doubt you have that equipment either if you don't buy your audio cd's or audio dvd's.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

14,000 years of Coldplay

That's the lift music in Hell.

1. Ted Treen
      Boffin

Re: 14,000 years of Coldplay

I'm told there are no lifts in hell: once there, there ain't no getting out.

Unless you're like me, and consider the (maritally) obligatory trip to ASDA/TESCO/Sainsbury's/IKEA to be hell..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 14,000 years of Coldplay

It goes downwards, according to some at lest...

4. Darryl
    Trollface

So that's about 23 BEEELLION Fart apps and 2 BEEELLION useful apps?

1. Markl2011
      Coat

This is about iTunes song downloads so you're playing it wrong.

If farting is music to you though can I interest you in my latest album? It includes some classic songs

Wind Beneath My Wings

Raspberry Beret

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well fart sounds aren't that far below the quality of most pop music today :)

1. LinkOfHyrule
          Paris Hilton

Well fart sounds aren't that far below the quality of most pop music today :)

Dubstep is often mistaken for heavy flatulence with all that "wobble bass"

2. LinkOfHyrule
        Mushroom

And don't forget the long awaited (to iTunes at least after all the reluctance to digital downloads by the rights owners) "Sgt Pepperoni's Lonely Farts Band"!!!

5. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Was it really "Monkey Drums"???

Not that I am accusing the marketing people of this song of doing a sly deal with Apple or anything but can you imagine if the 25 BEEEELIONTH download was something like "A Lovers Audio Guide to Anal Beads and How to Use Them" - do you really think Apple would be all gun ho about announcing that as their milestone download?

No neither do I !!!!!

PS - it's a good informative guide that! I can highly recommend it!*

*Not really I made it up for the purposes of "humour"

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Was it really "Monkey Drums"???

@Link

You've been sexting again haven't you.....

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Joke

Re: You've been sexting again haven't you.....

Well I thought I would give it a go based on Diane Abbott's recent advertising campaign for it!

1. Khaptain Silver badge
          Pint

Re: You've been sexting again haven't you.....

I just had to go a look up who Diana Abbot was, ouch. The beads tears are still rolling down my face.....

<----- Have one of these, made by day..

6. armyknife

titles are for toffs.

That's maybe 30% of approaching 99c for 25 billion downloads minus modest infrastructure and marketing, to sell other peoples content.

So in the high single digit billions, quite a cash cow and possibly more than the major 'evil' record labels' profits in that period; you know the people who at least sometimes help develop the content.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: titles are for toffs.

You can put stuff on iTunes with no label, in which case 30% cut is an amazing deal.

You realise that the major labels pay maybe 5-10% to the artist, so Apple are taking maybe 2-3% of what the artist gets.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: titles are for toffs.

I don't understand your tone exactly, but from someone who has just recently developed a hate for major labels, I would rephrase that as...

"...you know the people who USED TO ALWAYS help develop the content."

Notice the credit I give to them in PAST tense, and thanks to present digital distribution, I can happily give them no credit. If you are a musician and you happen to hate Apple, you still can't hate Apple more than the major labels. If anybody was keeping score, Apple would score at least 1 point with musicians.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Respect to Apple for changing the music industry....

...but I am finding that most of the music I buy is considerably cheaper from Amazon, and the Amazon Cloud Player client automatically adds MP3 downloads to your iTunes library anyway for syncing with your iDevices. I also prefer the Amazon cloud service over iTunes Match because you can rock up to any supported browser and just log in to play your stuff - plus native clients for iPhone, Android, etc - seems more open. Haven't discovered any downsides yet - anyone aware of any gotchas?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Respect to Apple for changing the music industry....

No idea, maybe make a quality test, i did with spotify and itunes store had better quality by far, in my little test.

8. joejack
    Go

"Would that current Apple CEO Tim Cook could lasso an equally healthy cash cow."

You mean like the HBO content they're trying to negotiate for AppleTV? Could be a win so long as it doesn't still require HBO cable/satellite subscription like HBO-Go does.

9. joejack
    Mushroom

Margins

Apple takes a significant cut of music, books, movies, TV shows, in-app purchases, subscription services, etc. That's got to be a ridiculous revenue stream. And yet they jack up the prices of their iOS devices to the point where they get much higher margins than any competitor.

Amazon takes the same cuts for Kindle transactions (with a much lesser audience of course), but then uses that as a means to all but give the Kindles away.

Maybe once they're done suing everyone and run out of ideas, they can start competing on price.

1. Eponymous Howard
      FAIL

Re: Margins

Apple has never shown the remotest inclination to compete on price.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

€10,000 iTunes credit?

I'd have enough trouble finding €100 worth on iTunes.

Seems like overkill, considering you're not supposed to 'share'.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: €10,000 iTunes credit?

Gifting is like 'sharing' and a lifetime supply of free itunes - music, movies, apps, I'd not say no...

1. Chris Parsons
        Headmaster

Re: €10,000 iTunes credit?

Could someone explain to me if there is a difference between 'gifting' and what we used to call 'giving'?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like