back to article Rome's atmosphere shows signs of cocaine

Scientists from Italy's National Research Council (CNR) have discovered an even greater threat to Rome's population than getting run down by a Lambretta: particles of cocaine and marijuana in the atmosphere, centred around the city's Sapienza university. According to Reuters, the boffins sampled the air in Rome, the southern …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dr. Mouse

students

"warned against drawing conclusions about students' recreational habits"...

those darned students, why dont they go get a job instead of scrounging off the taxpayer and doing drugs all day! not that I ever did anything like that at uni, oh no... :D lol

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

I have a friend who was a mature student spending a year at an Italian university, and she was amazed at the minor amount of work the students had to do compared to in a British degree, so this makes sense :)

3. Colin Jackson

Heh

They should have taken a reading near the Vatican. Now that would have been a story.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Indoor smoking ban less beneficial for general health?

So if every outdoor smoker would smoke inside a portable box, their smoke particles could simply adhere to the walls ... ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smoke particles adhering to surfaces

I'm about to take a room occupied by a smoker for over 15 years. When the furniture was removed, the differences in the colouration of the wallpaper were startling.

Thank goodness the entire flat is to be redocorated before I actually move in.

But my point is that I think I would rather smoke particles adhered quickly where they could do less damage than simply be floating around as pollutants in the atmosphere or adhering to plants, building up in concentration over time, which is presumably what will happen under the new UK smoking ban.

There are alot of areas that don't curently get much vehicle pollution but will now get smoke pollution.

I hadn't considered that before.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Smoke particles adhering to surfaces

Make 'em all wear helmets. Big glass bubbles like in a 1950's SciFi movie aught to do it. That would stop them polluting our outside air now that we are finally getting them away from our work/shopping/leisure rooms.

We don't want there g'damn'd pollutions building up on our vegetables. Then again from what I see most British vegatables seem to be grown in fields next to the motorways.

7. Jody Lang

Indoor Smoking

In Ontario in Canada, we have an indoor public building smoking ban. I think its the best thing that has ever happened. You can go into restaurants and bars and not be knocked over by the horrible wall of smoke. The health benefits are obvious. Even if you get a bit of smoke outside (such as this article suggests) you are getting nowhere near as much as if you walked into a restaurant filled with smoke. Its and tollerable lesser of two evils until smokes are too expensive thanks to government taxes (cause they'll never make em illegal). And besides, I am sure that car exhaust is much more of an air pollution problem then smokes ever will be.

8. Alan Davies

Return to Rome please!

"Roman uni are unlikely to have Lindsay Lohan rushing for the next plane to the city. Even at their height during the winter months the concentration measured a modest 0.1 nanogrammes per cubic metre."

Like that'll stop her.

9. heystoopid

Oh well

oh well, looks like a covey of Super Models were in town , at the same time they were taking air samples!(given the number that have been treated and/or are in drug rehab at this point in time!

This topic is closed for new posts.