back to article Facebook's Google, Bing events snub: It's a BUG, NOT a FEATURE

Facebook still wants to operate on the web by allowing "public" parts of its vast database to be indexed on search engines such as Google and Bing. But it appeared earlier this week as though the Mark Zuckerberg-run company had - in the wake of launching Graph Search - began squirrelling away such results relating to public …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

I woud rather

Facebook results are not shown on Google.

When I search it is usually for useful information.

There is absolutely nothing on Facebook that is of any use as a source of information.

1. Rob Carriere

Re: I woud rather

You got my upvote, but there's probably a lot of people who opine differently. So maybe sticking a 'Facebook off' switch under advanced search would be less unrealistic to wish for.

1. Shades

Now I know this is not the ideal answer you were looking for but, if you know a search is going to throw up lots of undesired results for Facebook, then simply use "-facebook" in the search string. Like I said, not ideal but it does the job.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, because then you'd have Google not return pages with Facebook's Like button....on second thought, maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Isn't that what "-site:facebook.com" does?

1. John Tserkezis

Isn't that what "-site:facebook.com" does?

A neater solution is "Google Hit Hider", a GreaseMonkey script for Firefox. (So you need the Greasemonkey addon, plus the Goggle Hit Hider script).

Working on Google searches, it either reduces and greys out hits you *probably* won't be interested in, but want just in case, to entirely removing certain domains altogether.

It doesn't require any additional test in the search key so operates pretty much seamlessly.

3. adnim

You maybe right Rob, but I don't accept cookies from Google so I would have to tick the box every search. Now if they put a tick box next to next to the search box that would be ideal.

I wonder, would a tick box for price comparison sites along with a block Facebook results tick box be too much to wish for?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You and I may not find Google search results for Facebook useful, but you can guarantee journalists, employers and stalkers will. Quite scary really.

2. Ol'Peculier
    FAIL

Facebook events

Try using the API to create an event in a group, private or public. FB whinges that you don't have the necessary permission, so when you try to request to add that permission it says it doesn't exist.

From what I can see, this has been a documented problem for at least four months. SO when I hear about Facebook working on bug fixes, I'm not holding my breath

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Facebook events

Facebook have got some of the best minds in the world working for them! To prove this you just need to look at how they have the best user interface of any website out there, and some of the finest apps for mobile devices ever coded! How can you doubt them?

Tee hee! Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! *dies*

3. g e
    Meh

Meh

It'd be Darwinian for FB to seal itself of from the internet competitors and suffocate to death.

One remains ever hopeful.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
    Devil

But it is a feature.

It reminds us why we don't have a Facebook account in the first place.

Its like a warning that says.. 'Did you really click on that link intentionally? and Do you really want to go in the the realm of FB? '

-Just saying!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like