back to article Microsoft teases IE10 for Win7 with Blocker Toolkit

Microsoft has dropped a strong hint that the long-awaited version of Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 might actually ship soon – ironically, by releasing a tool that blocks installation of the browser on users' PCs. According to Microsoft's FAQ, the Internet Explorer 10 Blocker Toolkit will prevent Windows Update from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Which IE10 would it be?

Don't forget; there are 2 versions on Win8. The one running on the desktop and the (sandboxed) version in TIFKAM.

Oh dear; could the delay have been caused because they're actually trying to port the whole TIFKAM crap over to Win7 (with optional bonus: the start menu removal kit (SMRK)) ?!

2. Big-nosed Pengie
    FAIL

"Long Awaited"?

Long awaited Internet Explorer?

We have a new oxymoron!

1. Greg J Preece

Re: "Long Awaited"?

Not at all. I'm personally thrilled that new and improved versions of IE are coming out. It's the lowest common denominator, and I have to work to it (at work, anyway). The more new versions come out, and the more people move to them, the closer I am to ditching every IE hack in my code and telling IE8 and lower to fuck off forever.

In that respect, IE9 and above really are a god-send in terms of coding for the web.On top of that, they're vastly improved browsers in themselves. Anyone who's paid any attention to my ramblings on here knows I'm a Mozzy man, but if I'm in a situation where I have to use IE9 or IE10, I no longer feel like I want to throw the machine through a wall.

They're really not bad; they're just still seen as "uncool" because all the hipster kids moved to Chrome. </trollface>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Internet Explorer at any version is still the same crappy browser on a Trident rendering engine.

Granted, IE9 and IE10 have improved, but a turd is a turd no matter how you polish it.

1. Greg J Preece

Internet Explorer at any version is still the same crappy browser on a Trident rendering engine.

Granted, IE9 and IE10 have improved, but a turd is a turd no matter how you polish it.

See what I mean? "Derrr, it's just shit because it's IE. It doesn't matter if they re-wrote the whole thing, its IE, so it must be shit. Guuuh, more sticky plasters for my knuckles pleeeze."

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Nah, just a ploy to get us to upgrade to Win 8

simples really.

Non attributed comment from MS Spokesperson,

you want the latest browser with all its security etc, then pay us some moolah and upgrade to Win 8.

You windows 7 users who are refusing to upgrade are nothing but leeches. We need your Upgrade money to survive.

The above is fiction but I can't help but think that this is the case. It can't be that hard to port it now can it?

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Nah, just a ploy to get us to upgrade to Win 8

The above is fiction but I can't help but think that this is the case.

Except that them releasing it contradicts your entire post...

It can't be that hard to port it now can it?

Nah, it's not like Windows 8 had an entirely new interface or anyt-....oh, right.

4. phil harris
    Boffin

So the IE10 'Pre-Release' for Win7 passed you guys by then ?

I and many others have been running it for a while.

Cant say I'm impressed however, and would rather go back to ie9, but the uninstall instructions don't work...

Interestingly, I looked at the version box just now, and I might have been silently upgraded !

1. HipposRule

Re: So the IE10 'Pre-Release' for Win7 passed you guys by then ?

I've been running it since the date it became available and would never go back to 9.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"According to Microsoft's FAQ, the Internet Explorer 10 Blocker Toolkit will prevent Windows Update from installing IE10 automatically, while allowing other updates to go through as usual."

I don't understand. Why release a tool to prevent it?

Surely home users should upgrade once it's available and if that's not the desired behaviour, what's wrong with listing it in the 'Recommended updates' part of Windows Update?

Business users, admittedly I'm not a sysadmin, but aren't their updates vetted beforehand and approved by an admin via WSUS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not all sites use WSUS, many rely on auto update for offsite users, small branches and those without large enough IT teams to manage an estate. So you can roll out the patch and allow auto updates as normal.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It sounds great, when does the Linux version ship and do I get all the flaws and security cock-ups too?

7. Mark Dowling

Which version

The IE10 on Win7 will be the "desktop" version from Win8, but you'll need a Flash plugin rather than the Win8 built-in one. (Have been running the Preview release for a while now)

Not a total bed of roses - every so often I need to fire up Chrome to work around a site that crashes tabs or renders bizarrely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Which version

Here's an idea: use Chrome (or Firefox or Safari or Opera) for your default browser and stop using IE10.

Stop being a masochist.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Why porting IE10 to Windows 7 has taken so long

"It's never been clear just why porting IE10 to Windows 7 has taken so long"

In order to prevent you from totally un-installing Internet Explorer, MS developers mix OS code with browser code. So IE10 isn't so much a browser as a core component of the OS. Other browsers are just another app and have to rely on the underlying OS for 'security' ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like