back to article Facebook finds new way to wring hundreds from users

Facebook has finally found a way to get its users to hand over hundreds of dollars, by creating its own gift cards. The US-only cards (the URL facebook.com/fbcard doesn’t work in Vulture South and presumably also has trouble in other nations) allow one to pump a gift card full of credit that can then be spent at just four …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Quinch
    FAIL

Too little, too late?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"too little too late?"

Probably not. MZ was given billions of dollars for nothing by mugs in the IPO. He's in no danger of running out of money in his lifetime, so there is no issue of anything ever being "too late" for him again.

I suppose he got this idea from the "investors" who gave him the world's biggest ever gift card last year.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because I trust FB...

...with my money. And handling a gift card.

A few weeks ago I bought an Amazon gift card for a friend, and it asked me if I wanted to send it to them by FB. "Why not," says I, reasoning that he's a [too] frequent user there. Bought and checked off my list.

A week and a half later, I realize he never said thanks (he usually does) - quick phone call, and "I figured you just didn't get me anything this year."

Lost. Gone. Happy unbirthday to him.

Went to Amazon's site and "re-delivered" it via e-mail....came right through.

No thanks.

3. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

Another Reason I'm Glad

Not to be on Backside-book.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Less social than worms

I hope I never recieve a "virtual" greeting card, I find it completely impersonal, thoughtless,tasteless and downright cheap.

People really need to start developing their people skills again. I get the feeling that worms live a more social life than half of the FB/ Socila Media crowd.

Isn't it ironic that the "Social" media crowd spend so much time in Virtual LaLa land where there are no people.

1. g e
      Childcatcher

Re: Less social than worms

I've come to believe that the current generation (my kids, for example) are probably growing up with social media defining their scope of interaction with other humans which has the unfortunate effect of then bringing itself across to the IRL side of things, causing them, as a matter of course, to form what I call 'disposable relationships', instead of what we'd call proper ones, lacking meaningful discourse, engagement and ultimately loyalty.

Then again, they are also teenagers, i suppose...

We have also a family member who sends all their seasonal cardage via Moonpig. Cheers for that. I'd much rather an email/SMS instead if you're going to do that.

Please be arsed to pick up a biro and write in the damned thing and post it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. jake Silver badge

Yet another reason to drop all of facebook on the floor.

That is all.

1. beep54
      Devil

Re: Yet another reason to drop all of facebook on the floor.

Wait.....you mean people are still using Facebook for some unfathomable reason? Who knew! Well, I guess it IS excellent at wasting your time and money while destroying what little privacy you have left. Really, we all need more of that.

1. jake Silver badge

@beep54 (was: Re: Yet another reason to drop all of facebook on the floor.)

Still? You mean you were actually daft enough to get an account once?

6. Da Weezil
    FAIL

No Sterling Please....

Another US only card?

Not that Id have any use for a FB card - I refuse to give the site any credibility - But its the same with Google. There are Vouchers in the UK IF you buy the right model Droid at the right Mo fo chain, but no actual Google play card for Google Play Store to use or gift. I was going to send someone a card to fit out his new Droid, but instead sent him a card for something else - not phone related. Play cards are available.

Guess the septics dont want our money!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why on earth would you give Arsebook even more data to sell? I use it as it's a convenient way to keep in touch with a disparate group of friends but feeding them data? Not if I can help it!

8. The Alpha Klutz

lame

hi friend here's my facebook gift card that i got for you please like me

1. Elmer Phud

Re: lame

Nah, just share it ;-)

9. Great Bu

Having analyzed this gift card system.....

.....I conclude that it would appear that Ben Lewis is a tight git.

$10.00 ?!?!?!

Not so much of a happy birthday really.....

10. Peter Hewitt

Sub-headline

Surely you mean:

A gift card? For me? You shouldn't have... BITCH!

11. theopriestley

Would be interesting to see how companies like myTab.co will survive this once FB expands into everything else.....

1. @heddicundle

Physical vs virtual gift cards

This is actually great for myTab.co since we're online/virtual gifts and with businesses moving to virtual only, I'm really surprised Facebook would retract to traditional physical gift cards. The emotion and momentum is lost during the purchase -> delivery sequence. With $30b of $100b gift cards a year discarded, along with major mainstream (non travel) businesses only offering mgift/egift cards (mobile/online), we're not sure why Facebook would backpeddle to the mid 2000's by offering physical only gift cards. Interesting to see why they did this :)

12. Elmer Phud

And . ..

and the same moaners continue to use the same credit and loyalty (Nectar etc.) cards and never moan about their own shopping profile being sold to all and sundry?

All Your Data Belong To Us.

13. Ru
    Mushroom

On an unrelated note

I'd just like to express my intense displeasure for the "free whitepaper" ad displayed to me at the bottom of the article... "Operationalizing Information Security".

Operationalizing. Seriously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On an unrelated note

Stop complainizing

1. Gavin King

Re: On an unrelated note

The people around here are a bit of an objectionizing bunch, aren't they?

14. mark 63 Silver badge
    FAIL

Paypal

Gift Cards genarally are pointless - no care taken in gift selection and limited choice where to spend it - the worst of both worlds.

Couple that with having to be on facebook AND the limited choice of 4 stores - total fail

With just someones email address (remember those?) you can dump £20 in their paypal account and send them an email saying "Happy bithday mate! - Get yourself a £20 whore, or 20 £1 whores" or whatever.

Paypal dont brag about this though, they know transferring money as a gift is the same as any other reason

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

lol

lol @ £20 whore, or 20 £1 whores. Upvote pressed.

15. Daniel B.
    Facepalm

O RLY?

Given that those stores only exist in the US, it's no wonder it's US only!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like