back to article Hotel chain De Vere checks out of server rooms and into the cloud

De Vere hotels had legacy systems, systems that needed updating but, most of all, it had lots of servers doing different things. Having grown by acquisition, it needed to consolidate if it wanted to realise its plans for customer service. It did this using a private cloud created by ANS Group, based on NetApp's FlexPod. At 11:00 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    Thumb Down

Checks out of server rooms..

2 Things -

1) title and content contradict each over - where did they host this kit, in the office fridge?

2) Why don't you tell it like it is - They virtualised!

Meh!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Checks out of server rooms..

Didn't you know? The cloud is virtual so they don't use real computers any more. And it never goes down and you never have to maintain it either.

Or maybe "cloud" is just marketing bullshit which means "we'll do it for you. You'll pay less up front but a lot more in the long run."

Of course, this is absolutely fine for a lot of people, as long as they realise what's actually going on and what you're getting into. Nothing wrong with consolidation as long as you have the control that you need.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

First comment made before the session started and the second comment in no way reflecting any of the discussion that was had, especially the points around management. I would highly recommend you both actually watch the session before espewing misdirected vitrol....

I think you would actually be pleasantly suprised by the content of the message as its actually all about developing public cloud capabilitys in your own datecentre. If you believe cloud = virtualisation somewhere else then I would say you aremissing both the point and an oppourtunity.

Reg peeps - when will the video of the session be published?

Thanks

Note - in no way connected to any of the companys involved.

1. K
      Thumb Down

Re: Really?

@Barti - First comment made before the session started

Yes it was and the reason I left is explained in the content - The article mentioned cloud left and right. When you read the subtext, all they were doing is basic virtualisation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

Alas if you had watched the session rather than passing comment on the 'subtext' of the article then you would have seen that wasn't the case. Your loss unless they publish the video, which if they do I would recommend you watch as virtualisation was barely mentioned. I think too often people think cloud = virtualisation. Virtualisation can be an enabler for cloud, but a cloud doesnt HAVE to have virtualisation underpinning it to be fall in the definitions of cloud as defined by NIST. I'd highly recommend reading the NIST documentation around cloud definitions if you have time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like