back to article Facebook DIES ON THE VINE hours after Twitter tie-in

Twitter's public spat with Facebook continued on Thursday when Mark Zuckerberg's free content ad network appeared to have cut off access to video-sharing app Vine's "find people" function - which allowed Viners to ferret out their Facebook mates. The abrupt shutoff came just hours after the micro-blogging site bought video- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Can't we all just get along...?

1. Silverburn

..and preferably just ignore the bit where I spunk 700m/1bn USD without any real board buy-in on an overpriced service that's heamoraging privacy-concerned users and almost designed to piss off twits ...bitches.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/18/instagram_zuckerberg_one_billion/

2. LarsG
      Meh

Zuck Sucks

He wants exclusivity simply because he needs the advertising revenue. Sharing with Twitter waters down his income.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Welcome to the modern Internet. Instead of RFCs and nice protocols, we have all this closed proprietary shit.

1. ArmanX
        Meh

Welcome to the new Internet...

...Same as the old Internet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

true Web2.0rhea customers - admen

admen - amen!

p.s. ref. "can't we all just get along"?! you fucking kidding? When billions of $$$ are at stake?! They don't even show those false smiles any more...

3. Tim 11

Let's just hope none of these spats ever affect any useful software

Then I'd be more worried

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

This sounds like the IM wars...

... before everyone decided that it would be better to just be interoperable.

1. ArmanX
      Trollface

Re: This sounds like the IM wars...

*inoperable

Fixed it for you.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: This sounds like the IM wars...

Quote "inoperable".

Grain of truth in both.

If your service is "operable" it will happily interoperate. Try sending from googletalk account to a jabbim account or to someone who has corporate jabber. It will work without a hitch.

In fact, if you build a XMPP server of your own on your own domain and configure it correctly for server to server operation you should be able to talk to googletalk fiends and them to talk to them without having to have a googlemail account.

5. frank ly

" ...Mark Zuckerberg's free content ad network ..."

I think that should be 'content free ad network'

1. PaulR79

Re: " ...Mark Zuckerberg's free content ad network ..."

That's what I read it as until I realised it sounded too sensible and read it again.

6. rcorrect
    Mushroom

Battle of the titans

So basically no matter which one titan wins consumers who are stuck in the middle lose

1. Mookster
      Coat

Re: Battle of the titans

Consumers? They're the ad-men, right?

The "product" is stuck in the middle, losing. (could just call them lusers)

-Mook

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FB's Snarky blog post

Sounds quite pathetic to me:

https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2013/01/25/clarifying-our-platform-policies/

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Happy

Re: FB's Snarky blog post

Hmmmm

Clarifying Our Platform Policies By Justin Osofsky - Yesterday at 12:00pm

Over the past few days, we’ve received questions about a few of our platform policies and want to clarify our thinking.

For the vast majority of developers building social apps and games, keep doing what you’re doing. Our goal is to provide a platform that gives people an easy way to login to your apps, create personalized and social experiences, and easily share what they’re doing in your apps with people on Facebook. This is how our platform has been used by the most popular categories of apps, such as games, music, fitness, news and general lifestyle apps.

For a much smaller number of apps that are using Facebook to either replicate our functionality or bootstrap their growth in a way that creates little value for people on Facebook, such as not providing users an easy way to share back to Facebook, we’ve had policies against this that we are further clarifying today (see I.10).

We are committed to helping you build great apps with Facebook, and will continue to invest in products that help you succeed while creating a healthy ecosystem.

Sounds like nothing is being said.

8. Johan Bastiaansen
    Facepalm

Mature???

This is the word you want to use? Mature? I've seen all kinds of silly things under the pretense that "we are more mature now". Saying it, doesn't make it so. In fact, quite often the opposite.

9. bag o' spanners
    Meh

For FB users, it's a chance not to be remotely, mindlessly spammed with more hipster junk content. They can still go through the incredibly time consuming process of posting a link on their status if it's really that important

1. SunnyFrimley
      Facepalm

If you find it incrediblt time consuming to update your FB status then you must be doing something seriously wacky.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like