back to article 'We are not concerned about your patents at all' - Jobs

This was the week when an ex-Microsoftie said that Steve Ballmer was not the man who could lead the company back to its former rival-crushing glory. Joachim Kempin also claimed that Ballmer held on tight to his seat at the top by tossing out anyone in management who looked like they might replace him: When you work that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The moral here

The person in Doncaster should not rely on a cheap domestic grade supplier if their income depends on it.

1. Kubla Cant
      Thumb Down

Re: The moral here

If he's running an e-commerce site or something, then you're probably right, he should use a commercial service with a SLA.

But in this case it sounds more like somebody using dial-up networking from home. This sort of working has the potential to deliver substantial economic and social benefits (social disadvantages, too). I don't know what the current standpoint is, but in the past the government has been very gung-ho about teleworking. In this context, a home broadband connection is more than just a source of entertainment.

2. GregC
    Headmaster

"TV series starring Adam West-starring series"

Does anyone proof read these things?

</pedant>

1. Longrod_von_Hugendong
      Coat

Re: "TV series starring Adam West-starring series"

You answered your own question there..

2. Kubla Cant
      Holmes

I regret to inform you that there is an unmatched closing </pedant> tag in your post.

1. GregC
        Pint

Doesn't the pedant icon act as the opening tag then? You live and learn.....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ChairMan Ballmer

I remember a cartoon, way back, perhaps 1950s...

The big man, at a bigger desk, in an even bigger cloud of cigar smoke, says to his sidekick...

I want you to search this whole company, check out everybody. I want you to find the individual that could step into my position at a moment's notice. And when you find him: sack him.

4. Thomas 4

So essentially what you're saying

Is that Mircosoft is being run by Cersei Lannister?

1. stu 4
      Holmes

Re: So essentially what you're saying

Hmm... I know which one I'd rather shag...

5. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

The awesomely named Rick Champagne

I wonder if he has a cousin named "Max Power"?

6. Tom 7

They need somebody maybe..

"They need somebody maybe 35 to 40 years old, a younger person who understands the Facebook Inc generation and this mobile community"

Kinda says its all when the company that thinks its the technology leader doesn't know who to follow.

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Microsoft has never really been a visionary company in terms of technology. They are or were the visionaries of how to do business though. Of course being in the right place at the right time was lucky for them, it's not hard to sustain a business when you had a monopoly on the business desktop.

Microsoft proposed the tablet computer in 2001 which was a good idea, they just didn't have the right idea about technology and how to bring that vision to the masses.

If you look at the history of the Microsoft tablet you'll see that everyone in the company who opposed the idea just didn't understand it or didn't like it. Probably more obsessed with how much money it would make rather than how good it could be. That's proof of a huge lack of future gazing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

visionaries of how to do business?

I don't think that being opportunistic and ruthless is equal to being visionary.

2. Richard 26

"Microsoft proposed the tablet computer in 2001 which was a good idea, they just didn't have the right idea about technology and how to bring that vision to the masses."

So, only a decade or so after Apple then; and even Apple couldn't get the Newton to sell. Touchscreen driven ARM device - there's just no market for them.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next CEO

Sounds like the first shot over the bows from the vote for Scott Guthrie for new CEO campaign.

9. An(other) Droid
    Thumb Up

... End up paying a lot of lawyers a lot of money

That was excellent advice from Ed Colligan.

Unfortunate that Apple never paid heed to it... not for the lawyers, of course.

10. Havin_it
    Gimp

"...arguably the campest version of the Caped Crusader."

I'll raise you a George Clooney...

Icon: that movie's version of Bane.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like