back to article Sympathetic Scots scoff-house offers hard-up Apple fanbois a discount

iPhone users feeling the strain from chucking wads of cash into the Apple's cavernous maw can now get a bit of relief in the form of money off potato scones and haggis spring rolls in Aberdeen. Musa, a restaurant in Exchange Street in Aberdeen, is offering a deal just for iPhone owners - giving them 20 per cent off the bill if …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

He makes Chilli Jam !

And he might give us the recipe one day..... Must keep watching his videos.

1. LarsG
      Meh

20% additional service charge if you produce an Android phone.

1. hplasm
        Devil

100% extra charge ...

...and poor service for WinPho 8 users.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"20% additional service charge if you produce an Android phone"

Yes but only Nexus owners get their meal straight away.

Samsung and HTC users get it an hour later with a sauce they didn't want and Sony Ericsson owners never get their meal.

1. spiny norman
          Thumb Down

Don't start me on HTC

If you arrive with an HTC phone, the nice waitress who was about to show you to your table is elbowed out of the way by the head waiter trying to sell you HTC Locations Premium Navigation. The only way to get rid of him is to punch him unconscious. Your meal was plated up 2 years ago and is cold. The sauce you didn't want can only be removed if you smash the plate.

2. Andrew Moore
      Mushroom

Re: He makes Chilli Jam !

Chilli jame shouldn't be too hard to make. Like most jams it will be fruit (in this case chilli), sugar and pectin. I'd roast and skin the chilli's first just to get an added depth to the flavour. And don't forget to leave in the seeds; Only wussies deseed their chillis.

1. Tom 7

Seeds do provide heat but they also provide an earthy dirty taste that means it will taste saucy not jamy.

There are plenty of recipes around - even Nigella has a decent one. Just replace the long chillis with some decent habaneros and you've got a lovely jam sandwich.

If your kids are having their lunches borrowed by future conservative mp's then bhut jolokia makes a reasonable replacement but for flavour and not drunken penis waving good habaneros are the best. I've had some allspice smoked habaneros that were the dogs (and looked like em) but never found any outside of Jamaica, and to be honest, they may require the user to be smoked too to appreciate them fully but I still think we could re-open the bacon sandwich competition with some jam made of that!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Jalepeno strawberry jam (and made with Bennets honey, according to the label) goes a treat with neck of lamb fillets.

Strange thing is, it just tastes like strawberry jam.

3. mdava

Chilli Jam is finally going mainstream - Sainsburys make a pretty good one that can be found in a cubic glass far next to the pickles and suchlike.

2. djstardust

Damn.....

I'll be passing there this morning. Sounds mighty tasty but I'm gonna have to keep quiet and try hiding my Note 2 somewhere discreet. Front jeans pocket ain't an option!

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
    Headmaster

FFS

"The deal is to compensate the fanbois for the Apple tax - the expensiveness of buying, owning or running Apple products - an expense, many argue, out of proportion to the service provided."

Good grief Anna. Restaurants compensating fanbois out of their own pockets? Really? Are you sure they aren't simply trying to promote their restaurant, rather than being good iSamaritans?

Oh and the 'expensiveness' (sic) of owning Apple products is a complete myth; as I'm sure you know. But hey, why let the facts get in the way of a good Leach rant?

Reg, can you please put author names under the article titles on the homepage? Then I'll be able to filter out Anna Leach's anti-Apple drivel before getting all hot under the collar and feeling a burning need to respond. While I'm at it, I'll also be able to filter out John Leyden's catastrophically misspelled, grammatically butchered writings as well. Although he at least has interesting points to make.

1. Chris007
      Happy

Re: FFS @Lord Elpuss

Wow - somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

<gives Lord Elpuss a big hug to make him feel better>

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: FFS

"Anna Leach's anti-Apple drivel"

Amusing given that Anna is the office's official Apple fan.

"I'll also be able to filter out John Leyden"

Oi, I'll not have that kind of talk: click on the corrections button on an article if you have a problem with the spelling and grammar.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Amusing given that Anna is the office's official Apple fan."

Christ ;)

2. Steve Todd

> Amusing given that Anna is the office's official Apple fan.

She tries bloody hard not to let her prejudices show then.

1. Seanie Ryan
          Headmaster

"Anna is the office's official Apple fan"

at least ye have a sense of humour!

But on the story, i think they have it all wrong... Apple buyers are the ones who have more money and can afford the elite items

Its the poor bastards who have to buy the iPhone knockoffs like Android that need to get the discount, they are ones who cant afford to buy Apple kit and have to make do with el cheapo alternatives. Bless their souls, they deserve the discount much more...

4. Kevin Johnston

Top Marks

Sounds like this offer fits well with the the way this restaurant works. Be different, keep your sense of humour and above all tweak people's noses.

May offend the odd one or two but more likely to get a little extra trade from those not dead from the neck up

1. Magnus Ramage

Re: Top Marks

What's different about only offering an iPhone app? Sounds just like the other lazy sheeple developers (cf. BBC etc) who think iOS is cool and developing for the most popular smartphone platform is too much like hard work.

That said - the restaurant sounds great and this is a good advertising ploy.

5. Chad H.

I think the bottom paragraph states the truth in a little less smug way... IPhobe users include a larger number of people willing to part with cash.

1. Mark .

But if that's true, you want to charge them _more_ (standard price discrimination - get more money from the people more willing to part with it).

6. Markl2011
    Joke

Is he hoping to get a free cup of coffee from his local barista in return?

7. Andrew Moore
    Meh

hmmm....

A whole article about a restaurant in Aberdeen, which serves haggis, and not a mention of the fact that it's Burns' Night tonight.

1. djstardust
      Mushroom

Re: hmmm....

With my wife's cooking its burns Night every night

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He said there had been "a few mutterings"

That's default Doric.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric_dialect_(Scotland)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I sense a lawsuit

Potato scones have rounded corners. And what about the plainly restrictive practice of only serving raspberry pi?

1. albaleo

Re: I sense a lawsuit

They are rounded corners, being quarter-circle shaped usually. It would take 5 slices of lorne sausage and four potato scones before encroaching into legal and medical danger.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: I sense a lawsuit

The Irish potato bread is like a 'tatty scoon' but is square with rounded off corners.

Cut one in half, fry it up and it looks iPhone-like.

I could never get my head round Lorne sausage either. I prefer my sausages like I prefer my Scottish golf courses - as Links.

10. The BigYin

Apple tax?

There is no such thing. You are free to not but Apple.

There is, however, a MS tax which applies to pretty much all-non Apple devices (even Android).

11. Pax681

why so serious Lord Elpuss?

Lord Elpuss who pished on your chips?

of course it's a ploy to promote their business and it's worked they got into El Reg.

crapioca tactics like this are used all the time to get the cash till ringing, just take it for what it is and stop being so butt hurt and so serious about it.

BTW apple are shite and i-device owners suck the sweat from a dead man's balls :P

love from Scotland :)

12. Dave 126 Silver badge

Are those identical twins in the kitchen?

13. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Go

I am just surprised...

How many of us live in Aberdeen, seems quite bizarre. Mind you i would want 20% to head into that part of town. I used to live in that general area, so have experience of head-stuck-in-bin-man, i had issue an attitude adjustment after one of the castlegate dunks gave my then girlfriend some hassle. (She is not my girlfriend any more, she is now wife - before anyone thinks otherwise :D)

1. djstardust

Re: I am just surprised...

I might have to eat there for a while. Dyce has disappeared under a foot of snow. Bugger!

1. Tom 7

Re: I am just surprised...

When I used to visit my nan in Aberdeen I seem to remember the best thing to eat when the temperature was low - and I was there when the paper said "Aberdeen sizzles at sixty six" so any day really - was what she called a 'rowie' but is, I believe, also known as a buttery. Its like a croissant for someone who actually wants to eat at breakfast time.

14. Jedit Silver badge
    FAIL

An interesting way to drum up publicity

They might have wanted to try regular advertising first, though. I live in Aberdeen and I've never heard of this place. Not that I'll be trying it now - finding the advert before the restauarant, to me it feels more like a 25% surcharge for not being an Apple owner.

1. Craig McGill 1

Re: An interesting way to drum up publicity

They've had ads on the front page of the P&J for a few years.

15. codecorax
    Trollface

Chill

Musa have let me run events on their premise many times. Good bunch of people and don't take them seriously, it's all tongue in cheek ;)

16. Craig McGill 1

How many Aberdonians are reading El Reg?

Good grief, might need to talk them into running a Reg night. Wonder if the chef can get vulture...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like