back to article NASA captures Martian avalanche

NASA has released a rather nice snap of a Martian "avalanche" - a cascade of ice and dust tumbling down a slope near the Red Planet's north pole captured by its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) on 19 February: NASA image of Martian avalanche. Pic: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Smallbrainfield
    Alien

Looks more like

the dust trail of a group of martian dune buggy racers to me. Possibly racing into a cave to hide from those pesky spy cameras from earth.

2. dan russell

Avalanche...

Oh no, global warming has spread to Mars, Al Gore was right after all, for God's sake won't somebody think of the children.

These little green dunebuggying creatures have got to be told they don't own the red planet, they just borrow it from their spore.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

It's clear to me...

... that this is obviously an effect of global warming. Suggest we despatch Al Gore poste haste (sans oxygen tank) to investigate.

Mine's the one with the SPF150 in the pocket.

4. daniel
    Alien

Looks more like

A top view of a Tiramisu, taken from the NASA canteen...

5. Wile E. Veteran
    Coat

Snowplow?

Aren't those snowplow tracks at the top of the ridge? Just some highway maintenance going on. Nothing to see here, move along.

Mine's the orange one with the yellow reflective panels and the hard hat.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

If?

So

If an avalanche happens on Mars but nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound?

Clearly we can expand the logic in this to suggest that our observation of Mars is clearly causing these avalanches.

I suggest to avoid such future issues we should be more sneaky in our observations and definitely don't use microphones.

Hopefully this way Mars wont realise that someone is around to see it and therefore it wont happen.

If you ask me i think its just showing off.

7. Ernest
    Alien

Looks like

A chocolate mocha torte i had with carbon dixoxide frost. See pic in link below (its a lil small but you can see its just a cake!)

http://download7.stockmediaserver.com//index.cfm?mode=WMcomp&imgid=IMSIMAGE:9B18D9D8-39A0-48A5-80A3F9782A05FD5C&wm=reflexstock.jpg

8. Anonymous John
    Alien

Let's hope

amanfromMars wasn't standing in the way.

9. Luther Blissett

Nessun dorma

This is in fact a smoke bomb being set off by a brave hunting party of natives (menfromMars?) as they search and destroy the Nu Insect Overlards who are trying to colonize their red and pleasant* land. Vinceranno.

* It might just look like a lot of dry sand to Reg readers, but surely we can take it as read that every creature views where they live as home, and wishes to repel repellent invaders?

10. vincent himpe
    Go

Let's go snowboarding

Carbonised drinks are free. just bring your own fave drink and drop in some of that 'dry ice'. there's plenty after all...

11. BossHog

Gentlemen, to Mars!

Water, sunshine, far away from all this hideousness - when can we go?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Great place for a ski lodge

What a view.

"Penguin Palace Lodge"

13. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

But, seriously, folks...

...I'm waiting for the day when NASA/ESA/JAXA/somebody is finally able to build a rover with enough computing power, storage, memory and bandwidth to record actual full-motion MPEGs of stuff like this. Those damn' stitched-together time-lapse animated GIFs of dust devils at Meridiani just aren't cutting it for me anymore.

Awesome foto, though, and seriously awesome luck to have caught something like this in the act, instead of just the evidence of it having happened beforehand. Suh-weet.

This topic is closed for new posts.