back to article Jobs waves iPhone, talks applications

Steve Jobs revealed a little more about Apple's iPhone at the All Things Digital conference, promising the much-awaited device will hit its June deadline, and talking up the possibility of third-party applications. Interviewed by Walt Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, Jobs waved around his own handset and proudly declared …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob

As time goes by...

... this product is sounding more and more like a really good looking paper weight.

iWeight - listen to tunes and hold down paper on your desk

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't sound tempting

I suspect that once people have got over the shiny new interface, they'll realise what a crippled, incompatible piece of junk the iPhone really is and it'll bomb.

3. Paul van der Lingen

Not sure fast..

Actually, I have high hopes for it based on the comparisons between OS X and Windows (or even, I suspect, Vista).

If we ignore 3G/HSDPA for now as they've said its coming, then sure, on paper my N93 and k800i can do the same things. But Windows can do the same things as OS X - in fact, they can probably do more. That's not the point.

Its the user experience that trips up the Nokia/Sony-Ericsson experience. They're shyte to use because the manufacturers have to stick to what their customers know.

Apple isn't by any means perfect - far from it. I work in an entirely windows dominated environment on a MacBookPro and sure, I have challenges. But the overall user experience - my user experience is better, by far, than it was when I used windows.

I fully expect the iPhone to be the same.

4. Bobby Cannon

Developers, Developers, Developers

I would purchase, use and write software for it IF they would cater to the developers. I know that Balmer really look crazy shouting DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS but Microsoft has it down. They know that it takes developers to make products work! Support the industry and the industry will support you!

Bobby Cannon

5. Sean Baggaley

Core competencies.

The US' 3G coverage is (at best) spotty, so I'm not surprised to see it missing from the first iPhone. I'm more than happy to wait a year or two for them to nail a 3G and HDSPA-capable model. It's not as if any of their rivals are anywhere near close to matching Apple's UI and industrial design skills.

I rather liked Symbian, but it's just ridiculously slow and the UIs aren't any good any more. Win CE / Mobile / whatever has its good points, and I suspect my next phone may be a Verio II, but _nobody_ has come close to getting it right yet.

In any case, the iPhone is a logical progression for the iPod series. (Don't expect to see the non-phone iPod range around for much longer. I give it another year or two at most.)

6. Dillon Pyron

Used to want one

When they were announced, I was hot for one. Now I've seen and used several "smart phones" (but not bought). None of them have any appeal to me. So I'll just use my V551 for a while longer, even though Cingular wants me to sign up for a new plan and buy a new phone. They've even promised me "an advanced reservation" for an iPhone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3G/HSDPA

Its not that easy to add 3G and HSDPA. What will it do to the battery life of the iPhone? A battery that cannot be replaced. It can't compete with the video capture quality of the Nokia N95 or basic photo quality of the relatively cheap K800. And what happens to users with big fingers? At least with a stylus the pionter has a defined size. I suggest we miss this first generation and wait for the real iPhone.

8. Andrew Moore

Has he mentioned the iRack yet???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xcjLEwZqcQI

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jobs

Man they need to revoke this guys public speaking privileges. Just like any other time he opens his mouth….90% crap.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Jobs

What do you expect with a reality distortion field that strong?

On that note, I'm probably not one to criticize this thing, since I can't understand why anyone would want a smart phone, ever. Or why anyone would want to listen to music on their phone, or why anyone wants a gigantic screen on their phone. Or why anyone wants to use an interface made by Apple.

I'll continue with my SLVR and a Palm T|X.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like