back to article Phone hacking saga: 3 men cuffed over alleged plod bungs

Three men were cuffed early this morning by Scotland Yard officers probing alleged inappropriate payments to cops and public officials. The investigation is related to the ongoing high-profile phone hacking inquiry. The suspects, each manacled at separate addresses, were taken to three different cop shops in the south east of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

If I might be permitted...

Grassed!

(If I might be permitted to use an Anglicism or Gaelicism, possibly incorrectly.)

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

conspiracy to cause misconduct in a public office

CAUSE misconduct in a public office?

I thought being elected/hired did that.

3. Shasta McNasty
    Flame

Not this again

I wish the media would stop calling this "hacking". For starters, the correct term would be "cracking" and it doesn't even qualify as that if all they've done is enter the default pin number for voicemail.

Shame on you Reg, I would expect better.

4. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Mis-read

When I first read this, I thought the opening bit said, "Three men were cuffed early this morning by Scotland Yard officers probing alleged inadequate payments to cops and public officials." I should get my cynicism correction meds (a.k.a. alcohol) upped.

1. James 100

Re: Mis-read

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm inclined to suspect it IS about "inadequate" payments ... the journalists and their police sources broke the law. Even while the story itself was breaking, we kept having reports along the lines of "someone has been arrested ... police haven't officially said who, but we bunged a plod some cash to find out that it was (this guy)" - exactly the crime people were being arrested for, but apparently they got away with it this time!

Did we really need a "public inquiry", rather than arresting and prosecuting the culprits like for any other crime? What's the point in new laws, when the acts that caused the problem were already illegal and the culprits known to the police for it?! Enforcement, people!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Mis-read

Couldn't we just make it official, like the DVLC?

If you want to pay the government for some private information on somebody - shouldn't there be an ecommerce site where you can just pay (+VAT) and the taxpayer benefits?

5. zb

I wonder ....

My guess is that a few plods will take early retirement on full pensions while the journos will feel the full majesty of the law.

This topic is closed for new posts.