back to article Spanish city renames square in Clash frontman's honour

The Spanish city of Granada will honour the late Joe Strummer by renaming a city square after The Clash frontman. The rebranding comes after 2,000 residents backed a Facebook campaign to celebrate the punk rocker's connection with Granada, where he fled as legendary British band The Clash fell apart in 1984. Granada City …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robin
    Happy

Dodge City

I guess it's all related, but there was an article on El País about his Dodge the other day.

http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2013/01/14/actualidad/1358180710_285425.html

2. John Hawkins
    Headmaster

Punk?

Always thought of the Clash as post-punk, but I guess the kids of today don't know the difference.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: Punk?

Well, I think I kind of know the difference (I'm not a kid of today). With post-punk I think of Joy Division, Mark Stewart, etc. The Clash, I'd say, was quite clearly a punk band. But I'm very willing to learn something new; so please go on and explain.

1. John Hawkins

Guess I touched a bit of a nerve with that comment...not that I wanted to upset anybody else who appreciates good music. Punk for me is more New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, Ramones etc.; even though Clash formed in '76 and played punk, they also mixed in reggae, ska, rockabilly etc. and stepped outside of the genre.

Was upset when Strummer died, but that at least meant there was no risk of our memories of them being ruined by comeback attempts. Done is done.

2. Khaptain Silver badge
      Happy

I would define the Clash as definately punk , they were appearing in the NME the same time as the Sex Pistols, Public Image, Sham 69, Siouxsie and the banshees, Joy Divison and a year os so later Dead Kennedys, Virgin Prunes etc....

Post punk I would rate as New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Psychedelic furs.

Not really easy to define exact genres for all of the bands though. ( the Virgin Prunes and the Clash didn't have much in common except for the period)

The Clash retained a cult status for a long time after the late 70s. many of their songs were very well written and perfectly described the scene at that time...

Even after 20years or so I can still remember many of the lyrics to their songs, most notably from the London Calling album ( which is no surpise).

Nice to see they are still being honoured.

1. amanfromarse

I doubt that Public Image were in the NME at the same time as the Pistols!

Public Image and Joy Division were definitely not punk.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
          Thumb Up

I probably agree in fact, I'm probably confusing a little with Punk and New Wave, there are in fact very few real Punk bands.

On a less serious side:

Public Image and the Sex Pistols in the NME

http://www.nme.com/news/sex-pistols/66282

3. amanfromarse

The Clash released one of the definitive punk albums in 1977.

I don't know what the 'kids of today' have got to do with it.

3. CAPS LOCK

A tenous connection officially celebrated...

There's a hotel in Bournemouth (The Miramar) with a blue plaque celebrating the fact the John Tolkien stayed there on his hols. Can anyone come up with an even less substantial connection with official celebration?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: A tenous connection officially celebrated...

Yes, I'm going to create a permanent commemorative icon celebrating your visit to this comments thread.

1. CAPS LOCK

Re: A tenous connection officially celebrated...

>Yes, I'm going to create a permanent commemorative icon celebrating your visit to this comments thread

Nice.

4. Gareth 7
    IT Angle

IT Angle ?

ronseal

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: IT Angle ?

It was "roughly" the period that IT took off....

2. Robin

Re: IT Angle ?

The IT angle is that from now on, every time you see or hear 'Lock the Taskbar' you'll think of a certain song by The Clash.

You're welcome.

5. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

Granada?

And there was me thinking Strummer's "Granada" reference was to an 1980s motorway service-area.

6. Jedit Silver badge
    Pirate

The square?

Pfft. It should have been the casbah.

7. John Sanders
    Thumb Up

Oh the memories... I was a boy-teenager when 091 were active

Very good band.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 091

Trivia fact: 091 used to be the emergency number to call the Policia Nacional (aka "los maderos", aka "los marrones", both from the colour of their uniforms at the time).

Anyway since we're in the subject...

"Azul, verde, marrón, un cabrón es un cabrón"

(La Polla Records)

8. gribbler

Am I the only one...

Who reads an article like this and (instead of wanting to start a debate about whether The Clash as punk or post-punk or whatever) wonder:

What are the actually calling the square? Plaza Strummer? Plaza Joe?

Where is the plaza? Is it one of the main ones or just a tiny little out of the way place?

Oh well... I suppose it's my fault for thinking that there might be some factual information in the article beyond the headline. Google here I come...

1. Intractable Potsherd
      Happy

Re: Am I the only one...

No , you aren't - I wondered the same (even re-read the article in case I missed it).

Are we the sad ones at this party?

2. zb

Re: Am I the only one...

Maybe you are just a square

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like