back to article Ex-Doctor Who babe Karen Gillan touts dodgy diet pills in twit gaffe

The Twitter account of former Doctor Who actress Karen Gillan was compromised to tout dodgy weight-loss pills to baffled fans. A series of links posted by @KarenGillan2 suggested the Scottish star, who played the time lord's companion Amy Pond, had found a means to rapidly shed pounds without the need for some Adipose …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

if you want to lose weight

just stop consuming fruct-ing sucrose.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: if you want to lose weight

and I forgot : fructose too . Just have a look at what Robert Lustig says about fructose on youtube.

1. wowfood
        Mushroom

Whenever people ask for advice on how to lose weight it's always simple.

Move more eat less.

But so many people still manage to fuck that up. "Oh I read if I cut out all carbs from my diet I'll lose weight much faster" Yeah you will, and then the moment you stop the diet and gorge on carbs, which you will, you'll not only balloon up to your original weight, you'll probably gain a few kilos on top of that.

"I'm 20stone, and I read that the best way to lose weight is to follow celebrity X and only eat 900 calories a day" *facedesk* again, starvation, the moment you eat more you'll overcompensate and gain extra kilos over the original weight.

If you want to lose weight work out your daily maintanence cals, take away 10-15% and only eat that much. If I can do it with the willpower of a chipmunk and a dietary tastes of elvis, then it can't be that hard. Oh but no they all want the easy miracle fix which involves no effort...

sorry, went off on one a bit there >.>

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm eating carbs, mainly complex ones in say porridge oats, whole vegetable, and occasionally whole fruit.

(along with meat , protein and fat )

I'm just not consuming added sucrose, fructose, fruit juices, corn syrups.

works for me. I don't feel that hungry.

Some carbs good. Some carbs fructing bad.

just see Robert Lustig / John Yudkin.

2. Ian Yates
          Headmaster

"Whenever people ask for advice on how to lose weight", then I say "lop off a limb!". That's the fastest way.

If they actually mean "get fit/toned", then that's a different thing.

1. Darryl

Or the old school classic

"Want to lose 10 pounds of ugly fat? Cut off your head."

2. Michael Dunn
            Joke

Remember Kipling's (or was it H G Wells?) story of, I believe, Pyecraft who was getting rather chubby, and asked his old Indian Amah for a weight-loss spell, which she performed, and he literally _lost weight_, and had to live with furniture screwed to the ceiling.

1. Allan George Dyer
              Holmes

I think it was H G Wells, and he wore a lead belt and other weighty accessories to appear normal.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@wowfood: I largely agree with your post. I tried a lot of various ways of losing weight before the one that has really stuck... eat less, eat better food, exercise more. Each on their own has their benefits but I find it's the trifecta that really did it for me.

One thing I really found was weight was a near useless measure for fitness. On BMI alone I am regarded as obese, just. With body fat percentage I am classed as fit, 16.66% (down from twice that). I actually got sick and lost a few stone through illness but barely have lost any weight since, though if you'd asked people around here they wouldn't believe it. Muscle weighing more than fat and all that. I'd have to lose another three stone to hit the edge of overweight on BMI! Ridiculous metric but since I want to learn to skydive I'm going to have lose nearly another stone to realistically do it.

4. Tom 7

Its even more simple than that - you don’t need to exercise to loose weight, or even eat less - just eat the right stuff. You can even drink beer and loose weight - so long as its not processed beer with added anything.

Just make sure you eat shitloads of whole grains and nothing with processed sugars in it - especially that fructose glucose syrup shit that is pure evil.

Fasting is food for your head but not your weight.

I wish I lived near a McD's tho - only go in when the queue is 5 or six deep and breath deeply - you wont want to eat for 6 hours afterwards.

1. DrXym

"so long as its not processed beer with added anything."

What does that even mean?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> "so long as its not processed beer with added anything."

> What does that even mean?

Real beer should contain water, malt, hops and yeast. Nothing else, no extra treatment or processing. Unfortunately even Germany gave in, and repealed the Reinheitsgebot :(

1. DrXym

"Real beer should contain water, malt, hops and yeast. Nothing else, no extra treatment or processing. Unfortunately even Germany gave in, and repealed the Reinheitsgebot :("

I realise that. I was asking in relation to the idea that beer with or without this "added anything" could assist with weight loss. Beer contains 150-200 calories, as carbohydrates and therefore drinking it is going to do nothing to help you lose weight unless the nearest toilet is 3 miles away and you're chased the whole way there by zombies.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        WTF?

Sorry, but when I read "someone said something bad about it on YouTube", I immediately draw two conclusions:

1) It's almost certainly OK.

2) It's probably got something to do with space lizards.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

re "says something bad on youtube" . Yeah generally they're idiots, and most stuff (99%) is complete and utter drivel. Occassionally there are a few gems, by people who know what they're talking about, and have spent a good part of there career on it. Robert Lustig seems to be one of them to me. No diet pills needed.

John Yudkin isn't on youtube coz he's dead. He researched sucrose's deleterious effects for years, and now you can get his book again "pure white and deadly" . It is well worth a read. Tate and Lyle etc .. probably don't want you to read it.

3. Enrico Vanni

Oh no, not the 'sugar is poison' man.

I suggest you take a look at some of the writings of Prof. John Brignell on this and other matters of junk science and rubbish statistics.

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/2013%20January.htm

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

everything in excess can be toxic. even water. fructose isn't toxic when eaten IN fruit , with fibre, plus you're only likely to eat 1 apple etc at a sitting. Fructose is toxic when consumed in the industrial quantities we now can, via sugary drinks. I know from personal experience that drinking a few glasses of concentrated orange juice can give me an attack of gout. Lustig was the first person who explained why. All the rest kept banging on about meat and beer consumption, which I wasn't doing to excess.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She couldn't really act could she so advertising diet pills is probably a way for her to get some income.

3. mickey mouse the fith

Amphetamines work pretty good for weight loss, they were commonly used for this purpose up until the 60`s. Pity they are a) illegal and b) prone to wreck your body after a while. They do work an absolute treat though.

Tapeworms also work, just remember to kill the bugger before it burrows out of the intestinal tract.

Of course, the best way to not put on weight is to stop fucking troughing pies and burgers down like a gannet in a fish warehouse.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Life demands quick fixes because we're busy. Hence the existence of junk food in the first place. We just don't do real effort any more.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

It's so easy

GO GO AUTISTIC FAT NAZIS!

3. smudge
    Facepalm

She might soon need them herself

Saw her on a flight very recently. She had a metal tin of Krispy Kreme doughnuts to see her through the flight. They clearly weren't a gift for someone at her destination....

(What icon other than "d'oh" could I choose? :) )

1. ukgnome

Re: She might soon need them herself

Silly Billy - Krispy Kreme doughnuts don't actually have any calorific value, in fact each filled delight contains precisely six of your five a day. And the ring variety actually negate the aging effect.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She could work that off in no time ;)

1. sabroni Silver badge
        Thumb Up

She's a good looking woman but (IMHO) she'd look a lot better if she put on a little weight.

1. Rattus Rattus

@sabroni

Hell yes. I think the same about most "attractive" celebrities - not bad, but too thin.

1. sabroni Silver badge
            Thumb Up

@Rattus Rattus

Indeed! Why sit in a rickety wooden chair when you can relax back into a nice settee with lots of cushions!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 15:34

Oh god yes. Nudge, nudge.

4. Ted Treen
    Boffin

Only one diet works:-

Eat less, move more.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Only one diet works:-

for variety, in alternate weeks you should move more and eat less

( I think I nicked that off Tony Hawks)

5. MarkBeee
    Coat

Slow news day?

I regularly see 'high profile' twitter users having their twitter account spew spam to followers about once a month, it's nothing new.

Nothing to see here, move along.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Slow news day?

I regularly see commenters on the register using their account to spew messages about how uninterested they are in the article they're posting about. What's worse is those who are so uninterested in the uninterested comments that they have to post an even less interesting comment about the original uninteresting comment.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coat

Re: Really? Is this the Daily Mail?

Some of us don't have twitter accounts, so we rely on the Reg to bring us all the latest fascinating tidbits from the entire world we are missing out on.

Or not. <-(Just in case you are sarcastically deficient)

7. 2Fat2Bald

Mike Tyson...

I recall years ago being lectured on how great a measure of fitness BMI actually is (by someone who really should know better). I think I won the argument by pointing out that it's just a ratio of Height to Body Mass. Mike Tyson is obese, according to BMI's reckoning, but....... *you* tell him that.

Seriously. It's all ballcocks. Karen definately doesn't need to lose weight, but then again there is no reason to think she knows any more about weight control than she does about how to become Tall, Redheaded, or Scottish.

1. DrXym

Re: Mike Tyson...

BMI is just a guide and it should be obvious that Mike Tyson is going to have an atypical response because it only measures height and weight and not muscle mass which a professional heavyweight boxer is going to possess far in excess of most people.

2. unitron
      Holmes

Re: Mike Tyson...

"...there is no reason to think she knows any more about weight control than she does about how to become Tall, Redheaded, or Scottish."

I'm sure she knows exactly how.

Be born that way.

No mystery there.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous John

Two Doctor Who companions?

The Master must be responsible.

10. DrXym

Virtually every diet pill is a scam

Do a search on this crap and you'll find hundreds of references to pills derived from acai berry, or mangosteen, or African mango. What they have in common are they're ridiculously expensive, make unproven and dangerous claims and in most cases seem to be sold by idiots suckered into some MLM / pyramid scheme where the pill is the product. Some sites even make outrageous claims that this shit can cure cancer.

Anti obesity pills that actually work are sold over the counter by pharmacists or more usually prescription only because they affect the appetite, or interfere with the normal digestion of food and can have unpleasant side effects.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lots of extreme diets work

I won't share which one I lost three stone on because of potential side-effects, but as a quick checklist:

1) If it requires a special ingredient that you can't get at Tesco then it's probably a con.

2) If you finish the diet and eat like a pig then you'll put the weight back on.

3) Trans fats will make you put on fat even in low calorie foods.

That said, when I finished and had lost three stone I found I ran instead of walking most of the time without even thinking about it, because running was now easy, and thus kept the weight off.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I could lose my privileges for this,

Send money for my new horse meat diet.

I didn't tell you send it where, so I'm probably okay.

I also didn't mention weight loss. Instead it's for... um... okay, how about penis enlargement?

Well, I didn't say you were eating horse meat, either. You may have jumped to that conclusion because horse meat allegedly has been discovered with much concern in cheap Tesco beefburgers, or should I say hoofburgers.

12. Steve Knox
    Paris Hilton

More importantly...

If she's @KarenGillan2, where's #1!?

1. unitron
      Black Helicopters

Re: More importantly...

"If she's @KarenGillan2, where's #1!?"

Ask #6

BH because no "The Village" icon.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Move more and eat more

If you move more and eat less, that's bad for your metabolism. Of course it could be that you really need to eat less if you are topping 3 megacalories per day.

14. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Hackers attack Amy Pond's twitter account!

They'd be pond-scum then.

15. Jordan Davenport

I guess this is why the 11th Doctor scoffs at Twitter given the chance

That is all.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I started taking Acai suppliment...

... and with in six months I was dating a pole dancer and had a part in a Tom Cruise movie.

17. Great Bu

Whenever I feel the need to lose weight.....

.......I have always found it much easier to lower my standards than actually make an effort....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like