back to article Route 66 Mini Regional

If good things do indeed come in small - and cheap - packages then Route 66 should be on to a winner with its pocket-sized Mini satnav. At the same time 'small' could equally mean the screen is illegible, while 'cheap' could mean that when you ask it to take you to Dorking it takes you to Skegness instead. With external …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam

Manchester?

If you went to Manchester, it's a wonder you've still got the satnav...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Route 66??

Is it just me, or is Route 66 (now called "Historic Route 66" in California) a VERY USAism. This for a UK only device?

Maybe I'm just particular, as A quick search doesn't seem to locate a USA equivalent (but I may not have searched THAT quickly).

The bigger question: Does (I guess someone does) know what Route 66 is?

3. Madrak
    Paris Hilton

Route 66

Route 66 is a rather famous road in certain parts of the US, it predates the current Interstate system and ran from Chicago to Los Angeles and was one of the first federal routes created.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_66

If i remember right there was a 50s or 60s tv show of the same name, no idea what the plot was.

There's an old song out there called route 66 with the line "you can get your kicks on route 66" done at one point by Depeche Mode

No idea why route 66 would be relevant in the UK though.

Paris because its 3 off from her favorite route to... oh just give me my coat.

4. Jeremy
    Go

@AC

> The bigger question: Does (I guess someone does) know

> what Route 66 is?

I'd expect that the vast majority of people (even Brits) know what, and roughly where, Route 66 is...

5. Gildas
    Happy

Route 66

I believe it is where one gets one's kicks!

6. Matthew

But the bigger question....

Why do Americans pronounce 'route' as 'rowt' instead of 'root'? I'm sure they used to say it like we do - and the Route 66 song certainly did. When did they change?

(I have occasionally considered keeping a wood-working tool in the office so I can give those Americans a router (r-OW-ter) when they ask for one).

7. Madrak

rowt vs root

That's an accent difference. Some parts of the country say "rowt", others say "root". If I had to nail it down, i'd say that "rowt" is more common in the north while "root" is more common in the south

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like