back to article Google's Schmidt: I squeezed Norks to lift web blockade

Google chairman Eric Schmidt ended his controversial visit to North Korea by declaring he urged the secretive state to embrace the "free and open internet". Schmidt - no doubt keen to cram ever more online ads into every corner of the globe - argued that the Great Firewall of North Korea, which curbs citizens' web access, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris 3
    Devil

And North Korea will look to China, and say...

... seems to work OK for them.

1. K

Re: And North Korea will look to China, and say...

Never been to China have you?

North Korea's "Great Firewall" makes the Chinese one look like a Parent Filter!

2. John Lilburne

Re: And North Korea will look to China, and say...

They can also look at Google and say the same thing. Google only wants a free and open internet so long as Google doesn't have to comply.

2. Himalayaman
    Big Brother

As if...

As if our use of the internet makes us FREE!

MORE ads please.

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: As if...

Perhaps you would not feel as FREE without it. But to be a bit serious, the more people who meet people in North Korea the better. Personally I would send them Donal Duck and Micky Mouse, if you understand what I mean. There are very good reasons to help them out of the very closed society they live in.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"He told reporters at Beijing airport in China"

As opposed to Beijing airport in Stevenage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "He told reporters at Beijing airport in China"

You forget he's aiming his remarks at an American audience who are only dimly aware of overseas countries.

2. Flugal

I believe you're thinking of New-Beijing in Broxbourne. http://www.new-beijing.co.uk/

Still in Hertfordshire, so pretty close, although the runway is rather on the small side.

3. Simon Harris
      Coat

Beijing airport in Stevenage.

That's what RyanAir would like you to think!

Mine's the one with the long-distance airport shuttle-bus ticket in the pocket.

4. Chad H.

I would have thought their inability to feed their population would be the more pressing economic concern.

Memo to Schmidt: When a North Korean says he's desperate for a bite, he doesnt mean the 8 bit kind

5. Pen-y-gors

First things first

>"They have to make it possible for people to use the internet..."Schmidt said

Well, I suspect many of the Nork population would say that their government should make it possible for people to eat, before they worry about access to the interwebs. And as they don't seem to have worried about starving millions, I suspect they won't take much notice of dodgy rich foreign-type person.

(Am I the only person who wonders why chubby little supreme leader can't seem to find a decent barber to give him a less terrible haircut? Were they all executed for saying the wrong thing?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: First things first

I wonder with what devices they are going to use the Internet... when you're main worry is a bowl of rice I'm sure Android devices are not so appealing...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

BlackBerries? so long as they don't run out of juice of course.

2. Chad H.

There was that story about a NK TV programme that went around Pyongyang embarrasing people with bad (read: long hair) cuts.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually, if you look closely at young Kim's haircut you'll realise it's very close to one that Prince used to sport in the 80's.

And he's changed his name to 김정은

6. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

"could eventually hurt North Korea's economy"

Classic. I was under the impression that thie economy was irreparably harmed already, what with most of the population starving in poverty and their natural resources having been stripped.

For some reason I am put in mind of Judge Death, from 2000AD:

"You cannot kill what doesssss not live"

7. Turtle

Bread.

"Google chairman Eric Schmidt [...] urged the secretive state to embrace the 'free and open internet'. Schmidt [...} - argued that the Great Firewall of North Korea, which curbs citizens' web access, could prove deeply damaging for the country. The search supremo said: 'As the world becomes increasingly connected, their decision to be virtually isolated is very much going to affect their physical world, their economic growth and so forth.'"

1) Schmidt can't be as stupid as his remarks portray him. But, I suppose, hypocritical sanctimoniousness can do that to anyone.

2) North Korea's current owners are not as stupid as Schmidt thinks they are. So maybe Schmidt really is as stupid as his remarks make him out to be.

While we all know that man does not live by bread alone, Schmidt seems to think that some men do not live by bread at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bread.

Messerschmitt sounds like your typical rich bloke not knowing what it is like to be without food and electric.

At least Billy Gates was concentrating on medicines and so on.

2. Euripides Pants
      Thumb Down

Number two describes Eric Schmidt quite well. In general, not just in reference to Turtle's comment.

3. n4blue

"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every ad that proceedeth from the servers of Mountain View.' Gospel according to Eric

8. Ole Juul

US state department

the visit by the two men on a personal capacity apparently unrelated to Google upset the US state department,

I guess they're not ready to open source state affairs yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: US state department

I guess they're not ready to open source state affairs yet.

No, but it suggests that people making a lot of money and not paying much tax on it to the state seem somehow able to convince themselves that that can take over the role of the electorate. If Schmidt wants to play politics he should become a politician instead of buying them, that way he also gets to carry the responsibility that comes with it.

And the tax bill.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Schmidt - no doubt keen to cram ever more online ads into every corner of the globe - argued that the Great Firewall of North Korea, which curbs citizens' web access, could prove deeply damaging for the expansion of Google into currently closed Asian markets."

Fixed it for you.

10. Captain DaFt

Don't mind me...

The cynical sighing that I'm doing is because I can't get the image out of my head of Schmidt in a meeting room with an attentive crowd of North Korean officials, giving them a powerpoint demo of the effectiveness of using internet to increase their efficiency in spying on the North Korean population.

11. Sureo

What did they eat while they were there? Food for thought?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logical failure

How can Internet access be more important than freedom - the freedom to make food, clothes, houses, and so on. I cannot believe he actually tried to reason with them.

13. Triggerfish

Critical path

Surely before you worry about internet access you have to fill in the critical path blanks of electricity and computers first?

(ignoring the other obvious stuff like food and that of course)

14. Mike VandeVelde
    Pirate

critical path blanks

Up till when you can get your domestic fusion power plant like you get your fridge and electronics are got by the gallon and painted onto everything and the internet is a global full spectrum wireless hum with everything everywhere boosting the signal, well then we will look pretty silly with all our our utility poles (firewood?) and enormous piles of hazardous waste.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

?

"Up till when you can get your domestic fusion power plant like you get your fridge and electronics are got by the gallon and painted onto everything and the internet is a global full spectrum wireless hum with everything everywhere boosting the signal, well then we will look pretty silly with all our our utility poles (firewood?) and enormous piles of hazardous waste."

What language is that? It kinda looks like English but it's not. That might be the most incoherent post that I have ever seen on this site.

1. Triggerfish

Re: ?

Ah good not just me having a comprehension fail.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like