back to article Fujitsu Siemens pitches Eee-style sub-notebook at pros

Fujitsu Siemens is taking on the likes of Asus, Toshiba and Sony with ultra-compact 1kg laptop of its own, this one with a 8.9in, 1280 x 768 display and HSDPA/HSUPA 3G connectivity. Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook P1620 Fujitsu Siemens' Lifebook P1620: Eee beater? The high-speed cellular technology is optional, but if you don't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pAnoNymous
    Black Helicopters

not realy competing with the EeePCs though.

this is going to cost a lot more than any EeePC released so far. one of the EeePC's unique selling points was relative value for this product type. also, any sign of a touch screen?

2. MikeC
    Thumb Down

No way near as good!

For a start it's missing a promotional photo of the laptop with a lovely lady! Till a photo as such appears, I am not impressed!

My vote still stands, therefore, for the Elonex Girl!!!

3. Richard Ball

Fujitsu-Siemens woman?

Come on, where is she?

And what's she wearing?

4. Rob Sked
    Thumb Up

I'd be interested . . .

. . . if it was touch screen and the pricing was competitive with the EeePC.

Be good to look at some more specs on it as well.

5. Nick Palmer
    Stop

Why's this being compared to the Eee?

Aside from size, I mean? It has a completely different feature set, is obviously aimed at a completely different market, and has virtually nothing in common with the Eee. Subnotebooks existed before the Eee, wonderful piece of kit though it may be, and comparing every subnotebook in the universe to the Eee gets, well, boring after a while.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Looks good

The screen size is just right as well. Hopefully the pointless (to me) added tablet functionality will not increase the price to uncompetitive levels against the eeePC.

7. b
    Thumb Up

nice!

i've been a desktop only person since the year dot, but had to buy a laptop recently for the first time. i plumped for the HP TX1340EA, but have got really interested in this tony laptop space..

it seems really hot right now. the asus eee is the cat amongst the pigeons, but i really like the look of that HP baby.

competition is good!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Damnit too expensive

"Fujitsu's P1620 was just announced with a Stateside price starting at $1,599. This quicker update to the highly praised P1610 boasts a new ULV 1.2GHz U7600 Core 2 Duo processor with up to 2GB of memory and 100GB of disk -- a respectable bump from the old 1.2GHz Core Solo and 1GB memory and 80GB disk limit. The rest of the specs appear unchanged which is fine by us: 8.9-inch 1,280 x 768 display, a $299 32GB SSD option, and standard 3-cell battery (6-cell for a worthy $45) which delivers 3.5-hours under real-world stress. Ships standard with XP Tablet PC though Vista is a $0 option." engadget.com

This pushes it firmly out of toy territory :(

9. Giles Jones Gold badge

No competition.

Nothing competes with the eeepc unless the price is in the same bracket.

Small laptops are nothing new, small cheap laptops are a rarity.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nothing like an Eee ...

it's not new, but an upgrade.

It's $1500, not $300

It's aimed at professionals not hobbyists ...

And where's the girl on the beach?

so there

11. Jason Aspinall
    Thumb Up

Touch screen?

"the P1620's also a tablet, with the screen, once opened, able to rotate 180° in either direction."

My guess if it's being marketed at a tablet with rotating screen, it simply has to have a touch screen?!?! Will be rather interesting to see the price on this with the HSDPA connectivity option :)

12. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Pitched at pros

So no blonde beach totty then.

13. Steve
    Thumb Down

Lazy journalism

From the reg?

Stop comparing every small laptop that comes your way with the eee, it's not big and it's not clever.

14. Graham Wood
    Happy

P1620 - look s like an update to the P1510...

I've got one of the P1510s, had it for quite a long time now.

It's REALLY cute, really nice, and a completely different product to the eeePC.

Mine is 1024x600 (rather than 1280x768) - and for "normal" use, that's still a little small, something that is putting me off the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Assuming it is just an update to the one I've got, it very definitely is a touch screen.

15. Adam Buckland
    Coat

Battery

"The battery's a three-cell unit capable, we'd say, of running the P1620 for four hours,"

And keeping the laptop on fire for at least an hour afterwards....

16. heystoopid
    Alien

Something is missing ?

Something is definitely missing , what ever did happen to the ASUS/Elonex girls comparison picture shot ?

17. Nexox Enigma

Oh no!

I was so excited about getting a P8010, even though its a little larger than my P5020D. But now the smaller one has similar internals and the same resolution. This is going to be a really tough decision. And chances are that I won't be able to find one of these so that I can test out the keyboard.

That said, Fujitsu makes absolutely the best ultra portables, no comparison. If anyone is interested in one of these, get it, and you won't be let down.

18. Morely Dotes
    Flame

@ Adam Buckland

"And keeping the laptop on fire for at least an hour afterwards."

Good man, that!

I propose a new Reg standard of measurement: the Flame. One Flame is the amount of Lithium-ion battery required to keep a notebook PC aflame for one hour. All notebook battery charge capacity shall be measured in Flames; thus, assuming Adam is correct in his guesstimate, the three-cell battery in the P1620 holds approximately one Flame of energy when fully charged.

The icon choice is blindingly obvious.

19. Blaise Howard

even smalller - with a touch screen....

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/review-82-X.html

20. John

ditch the keyboard

I'll want something like this when you don't need a keyboard.

PATA HDD? sounds like a 1.8" Toshiba, like the MacBook Air.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like