back to article First Swedish Pirate Bay server displayed by Computing Museum

The first server to host The Pirate Bay in Sweden has been cleaned up and put on display at the local Linköping Computer Museum. "Stockholm, in the year of 2004. In the home of Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, at his parent's place, this ordinary computer is running day and night," reads an inscription on the glass side of the machine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ole Juul

cultural revolution

Support groups and political parties have gathered around the now well-known banner of The Pirate Bay. Together they stand in the center of a cultural revolution. A revolution that begun (sic) in a dark grey metal box under a bed.

I think this revolution began with TCP, but whatever. Perhaps it even began with the development of mass media. In any case, I can see this box as a good icon for those who don't envision history as going back very far. It is certainly a significant marker and will be even more so as time goes by.

1. Boris S.

Re: cultural revolution - I don't think so

Just easy, cybercrime, not a cultural revolution at all. Most of the world does not pirate and has no interest in stealing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The history of the world would say otherwise.

Of course I'm sure you'll put down a lot of it as political expediency and do a cognitive dissonance to avoid seeing the unpleasant truth.

There's none so blind as those that refuse to see.

1. YARR
          Thumb Down

Quite a lot of people do pirate, but only because it's been easier and more convenient than paying. The idea that intellectual property is wrong doesn't hold up to the argument that all should have an equal right to profit from their labour, regardless of whether the product of their labour is of a physical or intangible form.

IMO the only reason the pirates have won any significant support at all is due to a few high profile cases where casual pirates have been sued for extortionate sums of money. If an effective and wide ranging piracy detection system can be employed so that every infringement is met with a bill coving the cost of the content plus a reasonable fine, most piracy will stop. Some piracy will probably continue for works which are not commercially available, or whose market is so small that there is no economic case for chasing after the pirates.

For those who accuse the industry of being fat cats, there are plenty of productive ways to challenge the situation. A crowdsource revolution could empower many more people to produce content, and undercut the existing industry, outdoing the so called fat cats by market forces. The same is happening in other industries, with fat cat bankers being steadily undermined by a system of peer to peer loans.

2. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

Better watch out or the MPAA will be around ...

with the Swedish Plod to seize the offending evidence.

Pirate Bay - TPB - my favourite record and book store.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shiny box

Free stuff !!!!1111

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they also be showing...

...the prison cells where the three TPB principals have spent time?

5. Flawless101

Do my eyes deceive me...

Is that... cardboard?

1. Select * From Handle

Re: Do my eyes deceive me...

I do believe that you are right, that does look like a computer that has no case and they are using card to stop the board from shorting. 100% bodge job.

6. Ragarath

Strange?

I find it strange that they would put, what looks like a generic box (one of many same such looking boxes I am sure) on display just because it was part of TPB.

It is just a generic box, not unique, nothing interesting. Information on TPB is worth noting for history but why a generic box what is it's attraction?

As you may have guessed, I don't get it.

1. Pookietoo
      Happy

Re: Strange?

A worldwide phenomenon owes its origin to a "server rack" made of cardboard and sticky tape. I have hardware nearly as bad as that. Surprised we weren't told the specification.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like