back to article Microsoft spin-out floats Azure for open-sourcers

A Microsoft spin-out is trying to tempt open-sourcers to its owner’s cloud with a catalogue of Azure-friendly open code. Microsoft Open Technologies has announced VM Depot, a site it calls: “A community-driven catalog of preconfigured operating systems, applications, and development stacks that can easily be deployed on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adam payne

Microsoft has never been friendly with open source. The only reason they are doing this is to try to boost their market share.

2. DS 1

Hmm

The only real reason any company buys into, uses, partakes and invests in open soure - is to increase market share. Once they realise it can work for them - they increasingly take to it. Forget the name. Either you are prepared to accept this idea, and then enxtend to MS or you don't. If you don't want people to partake, and invest, and you make the whole thing hostile, then people won't.

Are people complaining about 10 years ago and MS not joining and contributing, or are they complaining that they do and are. Sometimes you won't actually have a difference. Those people just hate MS..

MS can't win in that situation - at least in such people's eyes.

3. CyberCod
    Flame

I won't trust anything by MS until it is out of Balmer's hands. And then we'll see... depends on who is running it.

Thus far they've been completely unworthy of trust. People use MS products out of necessity or ignorance.

4. MissingSecurity

If we ignore the purist aspects of MS OSS bashing...

I not even confident with Azure for Windows OS Clouds...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why does Microsoft need its own open source foundation

"Microsoft today is spinning up a new 501.c non-profit effort as a forum to support open source community projects. The new effort is called the CodePlex Foundation and it builds on the efforts of Microsoft's Codeplex site" link

6. Mikel
    Windows

My first thoughts on Linux Cloud platforms

"Who would be the best partner for this?" I just don't know why this obvious answer did not leap immediately to mind.

/s

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like