back to article Report: RIM plans six BlackBerry 10 handsets for 2013

RIM might not have a stand at CES and it isn't holding any press conferences, but its executives are busy on the floor talking up the handsets coming out at the January 30 launch. CMO Frank Boulben told FierceWireless that the launch would see two handsets running the BlackBerry 10 operating system, one full touchscreen device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 404
    Happy

Go Blackberry!

Does my heart good.

;)

Sent via My Verizon Motorola Droid Razor

1. 404

Re: Go Blackberry!

Razr^^^ even

2. Mikel
    Devil

BB10 runs Android apps

This is a key solution others (WP?) should have tried. Hackers are now pirating Android apps and selling them in the Blackberry App store. You should be able to side-load Android apps to kickstart the BB10 ecosystem, forcing the utility into the device even without the app-maker's intent or consent. Almost all of the myriad Android apps (but nothing with NDK).

Yes, it's not Kosher. It's not legit. It's cheating. RIM will have to put a stop to it eventually when somebody legally calls their attention to it. In the mean time though, it's enough of the fine end of a wedge to get a credible product launch.

Scrappy move, RIM. I had counted you out. While I can't morally approve of this maneuver I can respect that it's what you had to do, and therefore ethical. I award you five points and move your token from "doomed" to "at risk". I'd have preferred you just made RIM quality Android handsets in the first place, and got the Google Play store. Hubris being what it is though, I understand.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: BB10 runs Android apps

@Mikel,

"Yes, it's not Kosher. It's not legit." .... "While I can't morally approve of this maneuver I can respect that it's what you had to do, and therefore ethical."

It's alright Mikel, relax, Dalvik is open source. That's why Google chose it! It means that it is entirely ethical and legitimate (so long as RIM are complying with the license conditions).

Pirates will have to have been in email communication with RIM to get signing keys. They need those keys to re-package and upload apps to RIM's store. Then there's the money trail too (if the pirate has put a price on the application on the store). RIM are probably in a good position to help the original and wronged developers. Unlike Google who have created an ecosystem so anarchistic that piracy and malware are out of their control...

Look at it this way

• Using Dalvik in this way is something that any of the manufacturers can do, but only Google and RIM have done so.
      • Whilst it's obvious that RIM have done this so as to boost app store growth, they can also claim to be supporting openness in mobile platforms.
      • Remember write-once-run-anywhere? Remember when that was thought to be a good idea to benefit all end users? Apple screwed that up of course, and the very idea seems in the eyes of the world to have become alien and subversive...
      • If MS and Apple did the same thing (and they could easily do so) then Dalvik would be the open mobile platform.
      • The only thing preventing this is Apple and MS's desire to maintain / create walled gardens of their own and lock in end users (though the Dalvik source code is probably built on top of a POSIX environment, which Apple have but MS likely don't)
      • They may do it anyway just to completely screw Google's strategy

3. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

My thumbs...

...they miss that qwerty keyboard on my old 9310. Now THAT was a phone you could do long emails on. Perfect for one-handed texting while eating lunch with the other. None of this swiping and poking at gorilla glass like all these modern phones.

1. Thomas 4

Re: My thumbs...

I miss my Communicator as well. It briefly resurfaced the other day but the battery had dodo'd, which was a shame because the rest of the unit was in pretty decent condition. It's so hard to find a phone with a decent keyboard on it and weight be damned.

4. rogerpjr
    Holmes

Android, iOs, BB Will by year's end Dominate.. WIndows anything? Whatever...

That's it.

'Nuff Said.

Watch. See ya 10/1/2014

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Android, iOs, BB Will by year's end Dominate.. WIndows anything? Whatever...

Hmm, not sure I completely agree with you. I think MS could do quite well in the corporate market where Office and Exchange integration does matter to a lot of people. And that, of course, is RIM's hunting ground too.

Where I think MS have gone wrong is be utterly unimaginative in how they do integrate in the corporate environment. They have merely mimicked the old BB way of doing it. This means corporate IT admins will want to lock it down, stop users installing their own stuff, and make the phone a boring corporate tool.

What RIM have done is worked out that BOYD matters, but so does corporate security. BB10 is designed to keep both the admin and the user happy. "BlackBerry Balance" is quite clever; the phone has a split personality with the admin having control of one and the user having control of the other. Corporate email / apps / data are safe (it's achieved a FIPS rating) but the user can still have fun with their apps, email, twitter, etc.

BlackBerry Balance is a very novel concept, and a clever one at that. RIM are relying on corporate IT admins understanding it and having the imagination to see why the idea would benefit everyone including themselves. If RIM don't work very hard to stoke up interest in Balance then MS could get away with it.

1. Irongut

Re: Android, iOs, BB Will by year's end Dominate.. WIndows anything? Whatever...

Office and Exchange integration? Works perfectly on my S3, don't need a WinPho for that.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you looked into locking down a Win8 phone using one of the current leading MDM providers? MS seem to be currently targetting the consumer rather than corporate market so, don't seem to have the relevant APIs published/available?

Corporates are probably quite happy as this means their staff won't be remotely tickling documents!

5. Z-Eden
    Thumb Up

Nice. I'll be looking for a new phone mid this year and am not liking the big two. Don't like the look of WinPho8 but from what I've seen of BB10, it looks pretty decent. I think my next phone will be a BB...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hopefully will generate a resurgence in hardware keyboards

My Desire Z is getting long in the tooth ... I might even switch to Blackberry

7. Feckler

RIM plans to release 6 new BB10 handsets this year. A spokesman said "We're releasing six new handsets. If we sell four or five of them, we'll be delighted."

1. MJG
      Thumb Up

It's what I read on the title, and came here to see everyone post it, and urs was the first one, but last post... HEH :)

1. Feckler

hehe

thanks, was thinking it was a wasted effort...

8. Ed 11

Looking forward to BB10. I'm due a new work device and whilst Android and Apple handsets are available, access to our work Exchange Server on this devices is limited to an application called "Good" to keep the lawyers and risk/compliance guys happy. "Good" is anything but.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like