back to article Stratus: Virtualization drives demand for ftServers

In some ways, server virtualization makes disaster recovery easier, less costly, and more approachable for a wider range of companies. And in others, it makes disaster recovery more important than ever because more virtual server eggs are running in a single physical server basket. No matter which way server virtualization cuts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lusty
    Thumb Up

awesome article

Occasionally, just occasionally, the Reg reports something I wasn't aware of and does it very well. This is one of those times so thankyou for the article :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Except this doesn't help when it's the Hypervisor or guest kernel that crashes. :(

1. P. Lee

> Except this doesn't help when it's the Hypervisor or guest kernel that crashes. :(

That isn't covered by vmware either. Its just shows different sorts of fault tolerance.

You'll need failover hosts regardless. Most enterprises do multi-site, but if this can cut your per-site vmware costs in half then that's probably a good thing.

Forget autonomy, I'm surprised HP hasn't put some effort into their own hypervisor. Bring some *nix or non-stop expertise to x86.

1. Lusty

Re: > Except this doesn't help when it's the Hypervisor or guest kernel that crashes. :(

"if this can cut your per-site vmware costs in half"

No, this would double your per site VMware costs because you'd need twice the number of licences. Licences are tied to hardware, they are not just a serial number you type in to activate a system.

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: > Except this doesn't help when it's the Hypervisor or guest kernel that crashes. :(

Not true. Both Microsoft and VMware view this as a single system and only charge for one license on the mirrors.

1. Lusty

Re: > Except this doesn't help when it's the Hypervisor or guest kernel that crashes. :(

Thanks, can you provide links to evidence of this? I've never seen a mention that I'm aware of.

1. tpm (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: > Except this doesn't help when it's the Hypervisor or guest kernel that crashes. :(

See page 4 here:

http://www.stratus.com/Products/ftServerSystems/~/media/Stratus/Files/Library/Collateral/AutomatedUptimeLayerBrochure.pdf

I also contacted Stratus and triple-checked it and they confirmed that you only need one software license for the OS or hypervisor on a pair of machines.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are using these to avoid buying oracle RAC. just dont tell them I dont know if they would like it :).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like