back to article Japanese cops cuff cat carrying remote control virus

An anonymous cyber villain has led Japanese police on a merry dance over the past few months, culminating in the capture on Monday of a cat said to be carrying a computer virus on a memory card attached to its collar. Detectives with the country’s National Police Agency (NPA) nabbed the creature on an island near Tokyo after a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam White
    Alien

They won't catch him

He died before the spree started and has been releasing all these messages on a time delay.

2. frank ly

"... police initially went on a wild goose chase .."

Why on earth did they think it was a wild goose that was involved?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: "... police initially went on a wild goose chase .."

Someone told them to take a gander

3. Volvic
    FAIL

"popular Japanese Reddit clone 2channel"

JOURNALISM

1. That Awful Puppy
      Facepalm

Re: "popular Japanese Reddit clone 2channel"

I'm cancelling my subscription to El Reg etc.

No, but seriously, El Reg, how about doing just a teensy bit of research?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: "popular Japanese Reddit clone 2channel"

"No, but seriously, El Reg, how about doing just a teensy bit of research?"

OK, OK, OK - sometimes humans just make mistakes. Software engineers leave in bugs, writers get their BBSes mixed up.

I've already fixed it.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"OK, OK, OK - sometimes humans just make mistakes."

Phil doesn't seem to actually research any of his articles correctly.. he seems to just take press releases or English language news posts from Japan and turn them into a story that doesn't really reflect the original.

2. lurker

Came here to mention this, you beat me to it. For those who aren't sure why this is nonsense: 2channel was established in 1999, and was already very popular when reddit was established 2005.

1. Marvin the Martian
        Black Helicopters

No, no, they're clones without an original. Stand alone complex, it's called.

As the first commentor suggested, the perpetrator is long dead, sending out pre-programmed stuff. So far, so "ghost in the shell".

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. mIRCat
    Coat

Jury of his purrs

I hope the poor feline is given a fair shake with this. What are the chances he'll receive a trial with a jury of his peers?

Why yes, this is my coat!

6. Chris Hawkins
    Linux

Is this the precursor for a new type of "cat flu"??

What bothers me with this report is that there is a disturbing world-wide trend beginning to emerge of felines being involved in criminal activity where tech is involved!

A few days ago we had the case of the "duck-taped" moggie trying to get into a Brazilian jail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20922275

Now This!!

There has been an ongoing discussion on Quora.com about whether or not Felis catus are controlled by Satan!

http://www.quora.com/Joke-Question/What-do-I-do-if-my-cat-is-controlled-by-Satan

Me wonders if we are beginning to see a new disturbing trend for 2013?

<thinks> Cats hunt birds!</thinks>

<thinks>Tux is a penguin!</thinks>

<thinks>Penguins are birds!</thinks>

<thinks>Are cats dangerous to my linux installations????</thinks>

<thinks>Here kitty, kitty,kitty........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zpdyBz3VM</thinks>

Now where's my cyber-rotty when I need him! ;))))))))

1. Mephistro
      Thumb Up

Re: Is this the precursor for a new type of "cat flu"?? (@ Chris Hawkins )

Obligatory reference

2. Juan Inamillion
      Coat

Re: Is this the precursor for a new type of "cat flu"??

*cough* Pedant alert...

It's 'duct' tape - as in originally used on air-conditioning ducts. In the film and music industry it's 'gaffers' tape, as in the gaffer was the electrician in charge (I think this is right) of the tape.

Of course, as an ex-roadie I knew that duct/gaffers tape has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together...

/keys on the belt...

1. madestjohn

Re: Is this the precursor for a new type of "cat flu"??

Duct, duck, and gaffer are three different type of tape. Duck being a very popular brand.

Actually none of these should be used on airconditioning or heating ducts, as they all do no respond well to heat instead you should use the aluminium tape that designed for them.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pussy virus

sounds nasty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pussy virus

I still don't think I'd get any, even if it could be caught like a virus :(

8. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

OMGZ LOL CATS IN RL

There's no escaping those pesky buggers now - gone are the days when it was only blog sites and forums with silly cat pictures you had to worry about - now the buggers are stalking your street and carrying a payload of windows virus round their necks to boot!

Talk about "I iz underz your desk, installing meh malwarez!" - this shit just got real!

9. Anonymous Coward 15
    WTF?

Japan.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

Catzilla

Send in Moggra!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This the same guy responsible for the fake emails that led to a group of people being forced into confessing crimes they didn't commit by the Japanese Police force?

And who thought "an IP address was all the evidence they needed" (Along with a forced confession?)

I'm guessing the memory card actually had a picture of Goatsie

12. Colin Millar
    Holmes

Well it's fairly obvious who the crim is

It's Macavity

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well it's fairly obvious who the crim is

Why, then in that case dear fellow, the Nihon-Peelers can avail themselves of a Macavity search!

13. EJ

Calling Batman

The Riddler has popped up, this time in Japan.

14. Dexter
    Unhappy

No picture?

Why is there no picture of the cat? I think that's the least we could have expected.

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: No picture?

Just click the AFP link provided in Phil's text, Dexter, and you're home free....

Henri

15. Petrea Mitchell
    Black Helicopters

Leslie Fish was right!

cf. "I Believe the Cats are Taking Over".

16. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Cat Catch Cans Crooked Conspiracy Capably Causing Catatonic Computing?

I've got a million of them....

17. Euripides Pants
    Terminator

Skynet has a wicked sense of humor

nuff sed

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like