back to article Red Hat Linux: Now with Microsoft's Hyper-V drive

Red Hat’s Enterprise Linux 5.9 has landed with some cloudy love from Microsoft. The latest version of the Linux distro, released Tuesday, introduces drivers for Microsoft’s closed-source Hyper-V hypervisor rival to VMware’s vSphere. The inclusion of Microsoft’s drivers means improved interoperability and manageability for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LordHighFixer
    Trollface

Guess it is time for

RedHat to turn in their UNIX Card. I mean it was honorary in the first place, but this has gone too far. They should retrace their steps now fix REV3 and then put windows under Linux, where it belongs and always will be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Arse about face

Run windows as a guest on 'nix.

1. pixl97

Re: Arse about face

Yes, most of the time I run Windows on Xen or something like that, but I do have a few instances of the other way around.

In once case I run a small CentOS instance in Hyper-V on a 2008 Domain Controller. It runs a few scripts like MRTG, RRDTool, Smokeping, and some other SNMP stuff monitoring network metrics and performance. It was easier for me to set up Linux then try to have the commands work in Windows.

2. Vic

Re: Arse about face

> Run windows as a guest on 'nix.

That's how I'd do it, given the choice - but you don't always get that choice. Sometimes, you go into a site which already has Windows-based virtualisation in place. Running up a G/L installation on top of that means you get a *nix platform for whatever you might need without having to go through the political bullshit involved in building a new phsyical server instance different to what the company uses elsewhere.

So this is good news for everyone, even if it's a technology I'd personally rather avoid if at all possible...

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft hurting customers ?

Nah, that can't be possible!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder what else could be behind this rapprochement

For any but the most purist Windows shops, virtualization on Windows was never an attracting idea. Onto the other hand, the purist Windows shop certainly don't want to have anything to do with *nix in general.

So, any of you can come up with a conspiracy theory on this matter ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its a trap^H^H^H^Htoy!

Combined wintel and *nix administration?

It'll never happen. This is a tick-box exercise.

No-one would ever put *nix hosts under the control of a wintel admin, would they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its a trap^H^H^H^Htoy!

No siree! Serious studies have shown that some Wintel admins are getting deeply depressed and suicidal when confronted with a rectangular block mouse cursor on a 80 x 24 text screens. Starting an X session managed to increase chances of recovery as long as a fake icon of Internet Explorer with soothing effect was displayed on the desktop.

Anonymous cowards can't chose their icon but they are allowed to post humorous comments.

6. Daniel B.
    Boffin

RedHat already had support from MS on that....

There was already a "HyperV guest tools" ISO image for RHEL, and could be hacked to work on Ubuntu. It would put the drivers for the virtual network card, virtual HDD and something else I can't remember. RHEL only added it to the stock drivers in the distro, I'd guess.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Latest Version of RHEL?

5.9 is the latest release of V5 or RHEL. The mainstream release is V6 currently at release 4. (6.4)

Who checks these articles for accuracy? My guess is no one does.

Fail for obvious reasons.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late, Microsoft

We were running RHEL 5 boxes on Hyper-V on Windows 2008 Server since we had a bunch of virtualized Windows servers. This was possible with dkms before 5.9; see http://serverfault.com/questions/258362/installing-integration-services-for-hyper-v-into-centos-5-x for details.

Unfortunately it was quite slow. RHEL6 was even slower. Then came the drama about the Hyper-V bits being booted out of the kernel because Microsoft didn't maintain them.

Fast forward to today, and we're running Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (Red Hat's repackaged version of oVirt http://www.ovirt.org/Home ). Linux is snappy snappy on KVM and Windows runs on it fine, as well. Good-bye, Hyper-V.

So the integrated components in 5.9 may help some poor slobs still running RHEL5 in a mostly-Windows shop, but we've moved on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like