back to article Dell dangles dongle PC at enormo-display-desiring road warriors

Dell, is that a memory stick-sized Android computer in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me? The former, it turns out. Dell’s Wyse subsidiary - the thin-client computing pioneer the PC giant acquired in April 2012 - will today show off ‘Project Ophelia’ at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas/ Ophelia is a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NukEvil
    WTF?

Hiccup...

"It’s pitching Ophelia as a handy-to-stow alternative ready to be hooked up to a big scree, though user will still need to find a Bluetooth mouse at the very least to be able to operate the gadget."

It's always nice to be able to tell when someone took a hit from a bong.

2. o5ky
    Thumb Down

so £40 for a cheaply made one or what's going to be £69.99 for a Dell one that's probably made to the same standards

or if you are going to do that you may as well plug your smart phone into the TV with an MHL adapter and a bluetooth keyboard / mouse and it's the same thing!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

This is targeted at road warriors who don't carry a smartphone with them? With my phone, I don't even need to carry a bluetooth mouse, just an HDMI cable to connect to my hotel room's flatscreen TV.

4. GettinSadda
    Boffin

It needs...

To be able to link to an iPhone/iPad (or Android, but seriously what do road-warriors use!)

Then you can use the iThing for mouse and keyboard.

5. ElNumbre
    Facepalm

FAO Sales Road Warriers...

Pitch up with one of these at our offices, wanting to borrow a capable screen, bluetooth mouse/keyboard, wifi that can connect to your portal and anything else required to get your computer working will be laughed all the way to the car park.

1. P. Lee

Re: FAO Sales Road Warriers...

Agreed - wrong target... but it could be very close.

How about all those techies who cart a laptop to and from work each day. Would you like to carry a USB stick instead?

Or what about all those offices with rows of cheap PCs which are basically terminals to other systems? What if you could replace them with USB sticks? Rather than keeping new-starters hanging on, have a few USB sticks in your drawer which they can use while they wait for their PC to show up.

When you can put a little gadget like this in people's hands, they start to calculate the cost of the fat-client model and yes, though you can get it for less, a Tier 1 brand on the box does count for something with many corporates. I'm not a great fan of the thin-client to big-fat-servers in the DC model for desktops, but I do quite like the idea of a rack of netbooting cheap VDI servers in each office to provide low-latency centrally-managed desktops.

Its a start, but I want to see support for proper screens, preferably multiple screens. Perhaps dell could build in a little extra DC power to their screens and provide these gadgets with dual DVI/VGA/displayport outputs.

6. S.G.
    Coat

"Mobile devices have small screens, tablets and PCs aren’t always convenient to haul around, and all these devices require batteries that can run down"

Our device only needs a full HD monitor and everyone walks around with one of those in their pockets or has access to one in foreign parts!

1. Richard Plinston

> Our device only needs a full HD monitor and everyone walks around with one of those in their pockets or has access to one in foreign parts!

Interestingly most houses and hotel rooms have one, they usually have a built in receiver or cablebox too so they can provide entertainment when not being used to connect to the office.

7. Stewba
    Thumb Down

I really can't see this taking off. A mobile phone can do all those things, and more. Tablets aren't that big anyway. Failing all that, I'd rather take a raspberry pi style device (not a raspberry pi itself, but a tiny form factor computer)

8. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Want.

Want, want, want. Want, want. Want.

I could stop rooting TVs and loading Cyanogenmod to get an RDP client. Hurrah!

1. Pookietoo

Re: Want.

£35 at eBuyer, branded "Nurvo".

9. Sir Codington
    Thumb Up

You can get an MK808 from ebay for £23.50 - runs android and is somewhere between an S2 and an S3 in power - works pretty well for web browsing and basic gaming IMO.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like