back to article Hitachi GST rummages in pocket, pulls out lint-covered storage Tardis

WD sub Hitachi GST is showing a fast, high capacity pocket disk drive at CES that sets a new product benchmark: a G-DRIVE with a 7,200rpm, 1TB Travelstar drive inside it. This a brand new Travelstar drive. Mike Williams, the VP and general manager for G-Technology in the HGST Branded Business, said: "The new Travelstar drive …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deathstar revisited?

Sounds like a neat way to loose a crapload of data in one easy step :-|

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Deathstar revisited?

I've got 4TB of data on a nice shiny new 4TB Deathstar. I view it as a sort of Schroedinger's Data experiment, and enjoy the feeling of impending peril it brings to my life.

GJC

1. frank ly

@Geoff Campbell Re: Deathstar revisited?

You won't know until you try to read it, of course.

1. The First Dave
          Headmaster

Re: @Geoff Campbell Deathstar revisited?

@Frankly

Hence the reference to Schroedinger...

And once more, loose != lose

2. Nate Amsden

so is it faster than Momentus XT ?

the article is sort of unclear, no link to the results so don't know if Momentus XT was among the drives tested, or if since it is a Hybrid drive Hitachi didn't test it because it's not a normal drive..

the article also doesn't indicate what rating the Hitachi drive achieved using this benchmark..would be helpful to know..

I don't see easily accessible public results for PC mark..

It's surprising to me how long Seagate has had the hybrid drive market for with no other competing products available. Though some ultrabook makers are pairing flash with spinning rust though they are in separate packages rather than integrated into the drive.

the Seagate hybrid drive has been quite nice to me, on my laptops, and recently added a pair to my work desktop, really made a nice improvement (full SSD was way overkill - and tiering software on Linux is still immature at least on Ubuntu 10.04).

This topic is closed for new posts.