back to article Wi-Fi, WiGig Alliances to wed, breed 60GHz progeny

The Wi-Fi Alliance and the Wireless Gigabit Alliance have announced that they will merge, combining their efforts to promote and set standards for 60GHz wireless technology "Combining the expertise of Wi-Fi Alliance and WiGig Alliance will deliver a terrific user experience with 60GHz solutions," Wi-Fi Alliance president and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. William Donelson

Specs: Does it penetrate walls? Useful range?

Could someone tell me:

Specs: Does it penetrate walls? Useful range?

1. jubtastic1

Re: Specs: Does it penetrate walls? Useful range?

Range of 60Ghz networks are around 20-30% of 5Ghz networks, so an access point per room, maybe more for bigger spaces, hard to see how this is going to compete against 5G Wifi.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

All this talk about penetration.....

Hmmmmmm.

3. Mage Silver badge

No, it's almost to data what so called Wireless charger is to Charging (The Wireless charger needs a cable and the client has to rest on it). It won't really do anything a long patch cable can't do. But it does have a few very useful deployments.

It will work in an open plan office, one class room or one apartment room. The school and apartment applications are useful as regular wifi has too much range in those applications resulting in congestion. You really don't want to cable each desk in a Class room or be without WiFi in an Apartment. But the open plan office is less value as each desk will have power and structured wiring anyway.

4. jonathanb Silver badge

Does it penetrate walls? Not a chance

Will it penetrate a human body standing in the way? Not a chance

Useful range in air is limited by the fact that Oxygen atoms will also get in the way, so in many ways it is probably less useful than infrared.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think its very short range, not really for wall-penetration.

Still useful though. Think wireless USB for device sync without those dodgy and breakable wired connections, or not having to plug in network cables for your laptop and still get quick streaming for HD video.

Short range can be a benefit, as you don't have to share it as much.

3. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

wireless data waves to corrupt brain frequencies

its all here black and white clear as crystal

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5G wifi

But then what wil happen to EE?

And what price will this be offered?

Maybe we will run out of our 8gb (for £56) in under a second?

Questions, Questions.

5. Blitterbug
    Unhappy

'leverage'

Ugh - stopped reading at the 'L' word. Bah! Thought I left all that behind when I stopped working for consultancies....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like