back to article Newborn planets spotted slurping up gas from young parent star

Astroboffins have seen a key stage in the birth of giant planets for the first time, as the streams of gas and dust guzzled by newly forming worlds are spotted around a young star. Artist’s impression of the disc and gas streams around HD 142527 An artist’s impression of the disc of gas and cosmic dust around the young …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ravenviz Silver badge
    Boffin

There's a nicer image in the Independent.

1. paulej72

You mean an nicer artist's rendition. The Reg image is not a direct image. At least the Independent has the original data image.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wish someone would slurp me up....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The astronomers have been using the Atacama Large Millimetre/submillimetre Array (ALMA) telescope in Chile to study HD 142527, a young star over 450 million light years from Earth."

Err... 450 million light years? Not quite!

Surely some mistake. 140pc ~ 456ly not 450 million as per the article!

1. hapticz

LOL minor detail!

and we wonder why humans never seem to progress beyond our current failure to know reality in its full truth. ;-))

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"Surely some mistake"

Yes; the article was fixed as soon as we realised.

C.

3. Ragarath
    Boffin

We think that there is a giant planet hidden within, and causing, each of these streams

What makes them think it is a planet over say another star forming, to perhaps form a binary system assuming their is enough debris?

They find it impossible to tell anything about the planets they have supposedly found orbiting other stars (I am saying supposedly because it could be people from the planet Zarg in their planet sized battleships causing the wobbles) so what makes them think they have a planet here?

I am not an astronomer so please explain to me.

1. annodomini2

These streams are inline with certain planetary formation models, so basically, they've seen streams which align with certain models.

2. David Pollard

The angular momentum problem

Almost all the mass of the solar system is concentrated in the Sun, yet most of the angular momentum is in the planets.

Conservation of momentum as the gas cloud from which stars form condenses would otherwise cause them to spin rather fast. A likely explanation of the reported observations is that magnetohydrodynamic processes are transferring angular momentum outwards from the incoming gas which is forming the star, and that these are also leading to the creation of planets.

http://lifeng.lamost.org/courses/astrotoday/CHAISSON/AT315/HTML/AT31505.HTM

3. Bhairava
      Pint

Mass

As you suggested yourself, there's not enough mass. Total system mass is estimated at about 2.5 stellar masses, but the total disk mass is only 0.15 solar masses. That's very big for a halo, but obviously not enough to form a conventional binary, even if it could all be accreted into one body.

Besides, the Zarg typically use a discontinuous antihelical tau neutrino gamma-class drive, which leaves an entirely different particle signature.

4. The last doughnut
    Stop

Image caption is required

Please El Reg you MUST provide a caption that makes clear what the image is. Artist impression? Radio telescope image? Whatever, just tell us please.

5. Bob Merkin
    FAIL

Try again

If we had telescopes (ground-based, no less) capable of resolving the image presented in this article from 450 MILLION light years away, we wouldn't be fumbling around trying to find extrasolar planets. We'd be inspecting what ET is having for dinner on every inhabited planet in the galaxy. As has already been mentioned, the combination of the lack of an "artist's rendition" notice and the incorrect distance measurement serve to give an entirely misleading impression of this finding.

6. Scott Broukell
    Joke

Too much information

The image on the left in the Independent bears remarkable similarity to what I image my own inner and outer rings look like when too much hot gas arises in my own system. Which I personally attribute to way too much spicy food. Funny that, cos they say the universe is a chilli place init ;)

7. Not also known as SC
    Coat

Old news

450 million years old at that...

1. gromm

Re: Old news

Actually, 450 years, and it will be going on for several million more into the future.

1. Not also known as SC
        Alien

Read the linked article preview and you're right, 140 parsecs. Never again will I ever take anything in the Register at face value again...

Alien icon because they're nearer than I thought.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Old news

"Never again will I ever take anything in the Register at face value"

Everyone makes mistakes - software has bugs, articles have miscalculations. The article was fixed as soon as we realised.

C.

1. Not also known as SC
            Happy

How can I stay mad at The Register? You're forgiven.

8. hapticz

Yummy?

ok, granted, gravity acts like an attractive process, but SLURPING? pahhleeeese!

when humans stop projecting their fairly primitive perceptions, upon the rest of the universe, it may reveal itself to us for face value, even reveal its true power. until then, enjoy slurping up your expensive latte, coke, and contaminated foodstuffs.

1. gromm

Re: Yummy?

As El Reg is written tabloid-style, that's completely within its literary license.

2. mr.K
      Paris Hilton

Re: Yummy?

Could somebody please explain this one to me, please? I get that hapticz tries to communicate something, and I get that there is annoyance or fake annoyance over the use of the word slurping. However the message and purpose of the post is lost on me. Anybody care to enlighten me?

9. kwg06516
    Headmaster

450 million light years? That thing ain't readin' right.

That's not even in the room!

10. Thraciana

Is the same planet (star at that time) discovered by a team of astronomers led by Jane Greaves of the University of St. Andrews in Scotland in the same constellation, Taurus, in 2008?

Read and compare (from National Geographic, april 2008) ..

"

The newfound protoplanet, named HL Tau b, was discovered taking shape about 520 light-years away in the constellation Taurus.

HL Tau, the parent star, is itself in its infancy, since it's believed to be less than a hundred thousand years old. Our own sun, by comparison, has been blazing for more than 4.5 billion years.

The new planet is a "distinct orbiting ball of gas and dust, which is exactly how a very young protoplanet should look," Greaves said in a statement.

"The planet will probably take millions of years to settle down into its final form," she said. "So we really are seeing it very early—even a bit like the first cells that make up a human embryo in the womb."

"

the complete source is here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080403-planet-embryo.html

This topic is closed for new posts.