back to article China lags on new tech patents

Japan’s technology giants may be struggling to cope commercially with cheaper rivals from China and beyond but they’re still among the most innovative companies in the world, according to the IEEE. The institute’s sixth annual Patent Power scorecard ranks firms according to the size and quality of their US patent portfolios in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cyke1
    Trollface

correct me if i am wrong

But China has always lagged behind since they just stole the tech from other countries and claimed it was their idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: correct me if i am wrong

But the US has always lagged behind since they just stole the tech from other countries and claimed it was their idea.

Consider yourself corrected.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmmm, Intel and Motorola - US.

Unix - US.

Windows - US.

Would love to know where you get the above ideas from?

About the only non-US IT things that are big are Linux and ARM.

To think that the UK could have developed modern computing alone is a bit daft. The US contribution and competition was good for computing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Patents?

China don't need patents, they just reverse engineer and copy.

3. Katie Saucey
      Trollface

Bah! They just need the number for the Apple lawyers!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly, imitators not innovators.

Where are the Chinese operating systems and CPUs? Oh the Dragon CPU, which is a MIPS rip off.

2. Androgynous Crackwhore
    Black Helicopters

Facts please

>The institute’s sixth annual Patent Power scorecard ranks firms according to the size and quality of their US patent portfolios in categories such as semiconductor manufacturing, software, computer systems and electronics. Each category lists between 16 and 20 firms.

but then...

>One of the most telling observations is that only two Chinese firms appear on any of the relevant tech categories – Huawei, which filed 411 US patents in 2011, and Lenovo, which filed 81.

So which is it you're actually talking about? Portfolios? (Patents granted and perhaps pending) or "Fillings"? (gross application submissions regardless of outcome)

The devil's in the details you know. I can think of a reason why Chinese companies might be getting fewer patents granted by USPTO

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facts please

One other thought,has this research been corrected to remove USPO garbage patents (cf rectangles with rounded corners), so that it looks only at proper scientific or commercial innovation?

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

"size and quality of their US patent portfolios"

These guys must love their rosegarden: Google Translate corporate-to-English gives "size and quality of their manure pile"

4. Ossi

Americans, why do you have to keep pointlessly inventing new words, when there's an old word, understood by everybody, that means exactly the same thing? Metric? You mean 'measure' - MEASURE!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/metric?s=t

Honestly, it really doesn't make you sound more clever.

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Holmes

Juxtapose inappropriate megasyllabic; extreme punctuationization; extricate comjunctionization; thusly propagate erudition illusionment.

/'Merican English

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong expectation

Why would we expect a nation that, as a matter of ideology, does not recognize property rights generally to be a leader in laying claim to intellectual property rights?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like