back to article Oracle's Ellison wanted an NBA team for Xmas - instead he got Eloqua

Larry Ellison has made no secret that he wants to own a professional basketball team. Now he owns a company called Eloqua, which does the marketing for some NBA teams and about 1,200 large corporations. While that is not quite the same thing, Borg'ing small, nice software companies is certainly more Oracle's game than owning …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Stop

"....Oracle remains committed to keeping the Eloqua AppCloud open and accessible to third party sales automation tools...." Pull the other one, it has bells on it! The only thing Larry keeps open is the one-way gate into his walled garden.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree, I would be a little concerned if I were a heavy Eloqua user with Salesforce.com or SAP CRM. Eloqua is kind of a strange buy for Oracle. They have a bunch of the same functionality in Siebel, other CRMs, their web content management software. Although, a lot of that Siebel functionality is pretty long in the tooth so maybe this will be the Fusion CRM option.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

@Matt Bryant.

Yup.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Agreed with that

I'll give it 1 quarter for Oracle (the borg) to assimilate it into the hive. All the key people will then leave and ORacle will be left with a shell that they won't know what to do with. Then they will close down their existing service much to the angst of what customers remain and then Oracle will re-launch it with lots of fanfare and bluster.

The question remains if this is going to be a success in the medium to long term.

On the bright side Oracle only had to splash out approx 90% of the sale price. Eloqua did what all good startups who want to be taken over do, raise a load of cash via a rights issue and then sit on it. No debt and a pile of cash in the bank is a sure sign that they want to be taken over.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The useless web

If this kind of business shutd down I won't cry.... every marketing mail for which I see any link goes through services like that gets deleted without any further reading. If you're a company and want me to know more about a product of yours, please use links to your company site (or at least, made tehm available to the maketing people you use) - not to something outside I really don't know what they are there for. The first time I saw Eloqua links I believed it was some kind of phishing...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like