back to article Wheee....CRUNCH: Google chucks Moto's set-top box biz out window

Google has sold Motorola Mobility's set-top box business to Arris Group for $2.35bn in cash and stock, in a deal that will go through next year. The internet giant is offloading Motorola Home and getting a 15.7 per cent or so stake in broadband technology firm Arris plus $2.05bn in cash at the same time, Moto announced. Arris …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Buzzword

Apple TV

So no chance of a Google TV, to match up with Apple TV. This strikes me as an odd decision....

1. Tom Wood

Re: Apple TV

Why not? They don't have to make it themselves... e.g. the Nexus family are "Google" products manufactured by others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Google have realised there is little money in the raw manufacturing in the long term - Samsung are riding a wave with their phones at the moment but it's a dangerous position as anyone could do the same. The next 'best' Android handset could be Lenovo, HTC... anyone. People like Asus will not be making thick margins on the Nexus 7 yet every one sold starts making money for Google (app / media store and ads).

2. JetSetJim

Moto did once investigate making an Android STB but that project got canned before anything came of it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would imagine they will continue close ties with Google, as most of the staff will remain as-is.

There is nothing in this news that precludes them still making a GoogleTV, just like other companies are already doing...

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/google-tv

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google do not want to upset people like $amsung by doing their own hardware - their game is to get HTC, Samsung, anyone to build Android devices as they then become Google customers and they make their money mining their data / information and selling ads. The more the merrier.

This way they get some cash back for their purchase of Motorola, still hang on to the patents etc. and probably have some nice Motorola losses to offset against Choc Factory profits.

2. ElNumbre
    Black Helicopters

Goog.TV

So, Google don't see any mileage in Google TV then?

Unless of course they've already black-coptered the brains from that division before throwing it into the sea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Goog.TV

I noticed the Youtube app on Android has "Youtube TV"

Maybe they're just going to push having everything through Youtube straight to a "Smart TV"

1. DJ Smiley
        Holmes

I think we have a winner.

Youtubes latest upgrade which you can play with if you manage to get lucky (I've had it appear once) with a pop out window.

Basically its a controller-less interface which you then control remotely by pairing another device to allow you to skip videos, and navigate totally from else where.

It wouldn't take much to push this out further, having any TV run a simple "google" app that is controlled like this, via phone, or tablet which you do all your browsing on.

1. Ramiro

The YouTube application for the PS3 works like this, it can be controlled by the smartphone. It's quite uncanny.

3. jai

Arris Group?

Whoever came up with that name was obviously no student of Cockney rhyming slang.

Cracks me up everytime I see it.

1. DrXym

Re: Arris Group?

Arris make a lot of the server side kit for digital TV - encoders and so on. They probably didn't have to worry too much about their name as a brand until now.

1. Joseph Lord

Re: Arris Group?

They probably still don't. Motorola sell most of their STB's to cable companies so most people never really notice the manufacturer name.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

still lamenting http://www.sagetv.com/

5. Andrew Moore
    Coat

Well...

that's a kick in the Arris for Motorola Home.

6. JeevesMkII
    Unhappy

I am dissapoint

For shame, el reg. Why is your subhead not "Googorola to shove set to box biz up Arris" or similar. You're not getting off your duties just because it's Christmas.

1. brainbone

Re: I am dissapoint

Or, "Arris to eat Googorol's box".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"having acquired the firm for $12.5bn mostly for its large patent portfolio."

Stayed tuned in 2013 for many more patent battles.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like