back to article McDonalds fried for serving spam

Australia’s Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has flogged McDonalds with lettuce leaves after the fast food concern didn’t properly think of the children with an online promotion that served up big helpings of spam emails. The case came about after McDonalds’ antipodean outpost cooked up happymeal.com.au and baked in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Esskay
    Coat

"A formal warning"

It sounded promising - like they were going to bring a sledgehammer down on Maccas - But with just a warning, it's turned out to be more of a quarter pounder...

1. Magani
      Coat

Re: "A formal warning"

Better that they were hit with a Whopper, perhaps?

<snigger>

1. Tom 35

Their wrong doing will catsup with them.

2. Adam 1

By the standards of ACMA, this is a pretty strong response. Normally formal warnings are sent in the event of a war crime (for repeat offenders anyway)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Gave up McDonalds

When eating a Mc Muffin gave me palpitations.....

After a scientific approach on four separate occassions I concluded, McMuffin=palpitations. Toast=no palpitations.

Now that would be worth giving a formal warning over.

1. wowfood

Re: Gave up McDonalds

The only thing I will buy from McDonalds is the milkshake. The fries are soggy, the burgers tasteless (and tiny) and yet there are two of them in my town and no burger king... Oh the disappointment..

1. Ragarath

Re: Gave up McDonalds

I have always stayed away from McD's and prefered the more refined taste of the king of burgers. But I am afraid the King decided to change the way he cooks his fries and they now are not what I would call a fry.

This has led to me eating cardboard burgers from McD's to get a "proper" fry, though TBH these are still only about 50% the taste of the old king fries.

I now really have no place to go, though the local kebab shop does some decent fries.

4. Crisp

Why just a warning? Can't McDonnalds afford a formal fine?

1. Horridbloke

Should have been a happy fine.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Bad Parenting and Corporate Greed

Why is MacDonalds advertising legal in the first place. Cigarettes and Alcohol are already banned why is MacDo not in the same categorie.

Obesity is already high up on the "Die young through heart disease", " Diabetes nightmare", "*Colestoral croaking" list .

The trap : Macdonalds is eaten as a snack but it contains as many, or more , calories than a full meal. It doesn't satisfy the appettite for more than an hour and the quantities of sugar create a buzz / withdrawal

symptom ( addiction).

Bad Parenting - some parents are lazy and employ the MacDo method. It avoids them from having to face the responsability of being a parent. Parenting is as much about "teaching" as it is about anything else.

Corporate Greed - MacDonalds have always geared their corporate strategy towards the easilly manipulated - the children.. ( same principals as religion)

PS : Most fast foods can fit into the same category - although not all.

1. nuked
      Thumb Up

Re: Bad Parenting and Corporate Greed

One of the funniest comments I've read in a while. Thanks, have an McUpVote (given without religious intent).

2. dogged

Sometimes I'm tempted to eat McDonalds food. But then I think for a second about what it tastes like and what it actually feels like in my mouth. Remembering the tepid greasy texture and the taste of "vaguely sweet" is more than enough to put me off and also kill my appetite.

I do drink their coffee though.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

The coffee is the one element that they don't produce themselves.

In France and in Switzerland, the coffee is usually supplied/provided/sponsored by one the larger brands, Jacques Favres etc....... So it at least should remain "potable".

1. CADmonkey
          Headmaster

You can always get a half decent latte in MacD's

And I'm pretty choosy about my coffee.

1.They train their staff

2.They calibrate their equipment

The dirty dishwater/burnt milk cocktail that the UK palettes seem to find acceptable? Never had one of those in macdonalds.

3. Terry 6 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Exploitation

Interesting is that McD did this in the first place. They were clearly being either seriously cynical, stupid or both.

It is pretty strong evidence against those who don't think that there's anything to worry about with lots of free-market deregulation. Give these big companies half a chance and they be send spam emails to kiddies.

4. weevil

so......many........bad........puns.

5. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Thought up by a marketing department. 'Please leave your moral compass at the door'.

6. Ted Treen
    Pint

Excellent

"McDonalds fried for serving spam"

One of the best Reg headlines ever. Gotta be worth a pint or three...

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Who is this McDonald you speak of?

1. Magani
      Coat

He was elderly...

... and had an agricultural establishment.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Coat

Re: He was elderly...

..and his neighbours were forever complaining about the noises from his animals. They made a right song and dance about it.

1. CADmonkey
          Facepalm

Re:Re: He was elderly...

www.instantrimshot.com

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easily the poorest writing I have ever read on el Reg. Just. not. funny.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like