back to article DARPA planning 100 Gbps wireless

DARPA (the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) has decided that the 200-276 Mbps wireless technology currently used for military communications, known as the Common Data Link, is not going to live forever, and is inviting companies to submit proposals to boost battlefield wireless to an impressive-if-achieved 100 Gbps. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

Well if you cannot increase the bandwidth (in frequency)

You can only switch to multiple spacial channels, and/or increase the power.

I guess they will go for a combination of both. Going to multiple spacial channels however is the harder part.

You can use multiple antennas, e.g. on different parts of the plane, and try to separate their signal with high directivity antennas. Or you can use reflections so your plane will not only use the direct link, but also nearby mountains to reach the other station.

2. nuked
    Black Helicopters

100Gbps? That's a LOT of slurping.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

I am not going to say this cannot be done...

But I am interested to see just how far it can be pushed......

1. Christian Berger

Re: I am not going to say this cannot be done...

The limit depends on the size of the antennas and the maximum output power.

4. Chris007
    Black Helicopters

Why don't they just open up HAARP

see title

5. Itsevilbert

My prediction

Someone will use the Genetic algorithm to breed a solution, that will be as optimal as it can be given the constraints. It will probably involve some form of compression, with massive pre-calculated lookup tables. It will probably have a higher peak throughput and a lower average throughput than is required.

1. Christian Berger

Re: My prediction

I don't think they consider compression part of the problem. It would be highly unusual if they'd not want that much redundancy free data over the line.

6. Annihilator
    Pint

Bingo!

I got a full house at "synergistically" - where do I collect my bullsht bingo prize?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like