back to article Sorry, Apple - China's just not that into your iPhone 5

Apple sold 2 million iPhone 5s in the three days in China after the device went on official sale on Friday. It's a sales figure that is solid, but will not see buyers in the east Asian country replacing Apple's lucrative markets of Europe and the US in a hurry. iPhone 5s in China achieved a market penetration that was just 25 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anal Leakage

El Reg hasn't even covered the Samasung SIII/Note malware vulnerability yet but runs another riff on last week's iPhone 5 China launch.

This website has been brought to you by the Chaebol Defense Alliance™.

1. M Gale

You mean this article?

Posted at 06:19 this (17th December) Morning.

1. Anal Leakage

Oh—that's where they buried it, not on the frontpage. Yeah I missed it there.

1. Pen-y-gors

Wow, you get your own private Reg front page? That's not fair - I want one too. I only get the miserable regular front page which did include that article.

1. M Gale

Private Reg front page

Actually, that's a damned good suggestion. Something like an iGoogle-style thing for logged-in users which will promote certain types of stories to the top for your perusal, should you set it up to do so.

Something to suggest in here, perhaps?

2. toadwarrior

While the reg does seem to miss out on big news about Google, like Guido leaving, they generally seem to be nicer to Microsoft, one f their big advertisers (from what I can see). They just mention Apple as many times as possible to get people to look at the site. That's why we get the dumbest and most pointless articles about Apple.

1. JaitcH
        FAIL

El Reg cover the minutai that are important as the headlines

El Reg can't be bothered with immaterial big story, it leaves that to the plagiarising Charles Arthur from the Guardian - the resident Apple Troll to puff up nothing.

Listen to what he says today about Apple non-sales: "sales in world's largest smartphone market beat expectations . He explained that "observers" the launch was "was low-key" - obvious; Apple talk for the huge no-shows.

El Reg goes for the meat, they actually investigate things not just wait for Apple to supply a pre-written story fit for press.

As for Apple, it's a failure as Cupertino doesn't supply the Chinese market needs.

P.S. iThingy 5 just arrived in VietNam - all 6,000 pieces. This in a country where the human population is around 90-million and the handset/cell population (of working units) is 140-million. Another Apple success story?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>They just mention Apple as many times as possible to get people to look at the site. That's why we get the dumbest and most pointless articles about Apple.

...and why we get the "dumbest and most pointless" fanboise's fawning comments about Apple.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

.....why we get the dumbest and most pointless articles about Apple, and the most pointless and ridiculous comments from their purchasers.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If they want to sell more in china they only need to bring out a red iphone which would treble sales within minutes.

Red is considered a lucky colour, and 54% of phones sold are that colour.

2. Dom 3

Like with like

A great many Chinese still live in villages with one donkey between them.

3. John Molloy
    FAIL

What are you smoking.

"Apple sold 2 million iPhone 5s in the three days in China after the device went on official sale on Friday."

2 million, in one country in 3 days? What are you smoking to say this isn't important?

I understand that you are playing to the cheap seats but when Apple ships 2 million units in 3 days and you carp when compared to Samsung that does about 5 million a quarter of the SIII what is the point?

1. SuccessCase

Re: What are you smoking.

Yes, I'll take Asymco's expert insight and analysis over Ms Leaches amateur slag-Apple-fest any day of the week.

1. Anal Leakage

It's funny because when I mentioned the author's name in a previous post, the mods rejected it.

2. toadwarrior
        Thumb Up

Given the style of Leach articles, I'm pretty sure she is actually a 13 year old boy who received an andorid phone this year.

2. Psyx
      Stop

Did you read the article or just the headline?

3. JaitcH
      FAIL

What are you smoking.

Interesting that the Fanbois are throwing up Samsung as a comparison - they obviously recognise who the competition is, especially since Samsung outsold Apple.

1. Doogie1
        Facepalm

"Interesting that the Fanbois are throwing up Samsung as a comparison - they obviously recognise who the competition is, especially since Samsung outsold Apple."

Samsung is the top selling smartphone brand. What's the point of comparing to HTC or Motorola?

2. Ted Treen
        FAIL

@JaitcH 17/12/12 22:25

"..they obviously recognise who the competition is, especially since Samsung outsold Apple..."

Proton outsold Aston Martin last year.

Proving what, exactly?

1. Stretch

Re: @JaitcH 17/12/12 22:25

aston martins are better than protons. so its completely opposite. so it proves that the brainwashing might be restricted to just a few plebs and maybe there is hope for the world.

4. IHateWearingATie

Grey imports...

How do the figures stack up if all of the grey imports sold over the last few months are included?

5. StevenN

"Still, 2 million sales in 3 days nothing to sneer at"

I think you just did.

6. William Donelson

Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China,

Headline wrong, again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Erm...

...setting a new record FOR APPLE...

Fanboise thinking, wrong again.

7. Chad H.

Yet over on Ars Technica....

----

Apple's push into China is making some inroads, as indicated by the iPhone 5 launch in China this past weekend. The company announced Monday morning that it sold over 2 million iPhone 5 handsets in greater China in the last three days—a new record launch in that market for Apple. The number is particularly impressive given that the iPhone 5 isn't available on China's largest carrier, China Mobile.

"Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products."

----

I gotta ask, who's the biased out of reality side here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What?

You've "gotta ask, who's the biased out of reality side here" when reading reports about Apple and choosing between Anna Leach and "Tim Cook, Apple's CEO"

Good God "Chad"

What have you been smoking?

8. Steve Todd
    FAIL

The venomous Leach at it again.

China has a market big enough for about 100 million smart phones per year, many of which are cheap and nasty kit that doesn't compete with the iPhone. 2 million out of that number in a weekend isn't to be sneezed at (but I'm sure Ms Leach will try to find some other way of dissmissing that).

1. Alan Denman

Re: The venomous Leach at it again.

That's maybe another one of Apple's problems.

Many attribute 'cheap and nasty' comments as chav like.

Thus we end up with the impression is that the iPhone is a chav phone.

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

When the manufacturer is asking the question "How much less than $100 can I make a smart phone for" then I assure you that the comment is very relevant. The Chinese manufacturers are perfectly able to produce better quality stuff, buy much of their buying public can't afford it.

2. Mark .

"cheap and nasty kit that doesn't compete with the iPhone."

Given that Apple fans managed to put up with a phone that, over the years, couldn't do video chat, multitasking, copy/paste, homescreens, picture messaging, 3G, apps, or even be a smartphone at all in its first incarnation, that must be some pretty nasty kit to be criticised.

Or perhaps actually, people are buying smartphones that are more than good enough for their needs, and easily compete with the stuff that Apple puts out. Latest flagship feature, the same but slighty bigger?

As for sales, I don't need to dismiss it - it's simply of zero importance to me. I don't see you worshipping Android or Samsung for their massive Apple-overwhelming sales. Even Nokia sell more phones still - but I bet you'll find a way to dismiss that.

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

You seem to have confused features with well built or expensive. Having a camera built into your phone doesn't mean that the images that it creates are good, or even usable in some cases.

You also seem to have a very shallow view of the world. The 5 has a much faster CPU and GPU, tougher screen, a back that won't crack, LTE radio, better front camera and bigger screen in a smaller, lighter package. I can't think of a significant bit of hardware that Apple skipped (and no, NFC doesn't count, it's a technology looking for a use).

These cheap Chinese phones tend to be based around ARM11 CPUs, have low resolution resistive touch screens, small amounts of RAM and flash, small batteries and cheap plastic cases. To use a car analogy, there are many people who find that a Proton is sufficient for their needs, and they couldn't afford a BMW or a Mercedes anyway, but that doesn't mean that there's no market for BMWs or that Proton is taking sales from them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

6 years (near enough) later and its still the same old shite. Change the record, means nothing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Steve mate!

iPhone, the buzz died years ago! Are your aware?

iPhone was been leapfrogged, spectacularly, by Apple competitors.

Shall I NFC you the link, oh! sorry! your phone can't do that.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Anna Leach negative Apple story.

Do give it a rest and find something more interesting to write about.

10. derv
    Trollface

Apples reality distortion field in action

http://www.slashgear.com/heavy-subsidies-saved-apples-iphone-5-china-launch-17261190/

Ho Ho Ho....down she goes :-)

1. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

Re: Apples reality distortion field in action @derp 17/12/12 18:20

"...Heavily subsidized carrier deals helped Apple set its new Chinese sales record, it’s been suggested, with strong demand for discounted iPhone 5 handsets offsetting low traffic in the company’s own stores..."

Q. And how does this differ from the UK where the vast majority of upmarket phones are carrier subsidised on 2-yr deals?

A. It doesn't at all.

It is a mere "suggestion" - (note: suggestion, not confirmed as fact, possibly merely an idea in the author's mind) which the troll here implies is factual.

Meanwhile, in the UK, it's been suggested that acting as a Leach acolyte will get you out of short trousers more quickly and make doing your homework less of a chore...

11. Eddy Ito
    Facepalm

"across a potential customer base of 815 million"

Not quite as population != potential customer base. Certainly just because China has a population of 1.3 billion it can't make sense to think that is the potential number of customers. Even ignoring financial resources there is a lot in the demographics that would rule out many people as ever being a customer. It's a bit like saying the market in Hungary is the same as Somalia as both have a population of ~10 million. It totally ignores factors like per capita GDP, which is about $19k for Hungary vs $600 in Somalia, and median age, over 40 and under 18 respectively. But sure, if your brush is broad enough it's the same thing, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "across a potential customer base of 815 million"

But if they launch the iIncontinancePad they will get close to 100% with the iNappy reaching the other end of the age range.

2. toadwarrior

What, your baby doesn't shop for smart phones?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Re: "across a potential customer base of 815 million"

What, your baby doesn't shop for smart phones?"

Yeah, they bought iPhone, till I returned it and told the kids that they are not pikeys.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many genuine sales?

Only a couple of people queued to buy one it seems...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/14/us-apple-china-iphone-idUSBRE8BC1FD20121214

"Unlike the crowds that the iPhone 5 debut drew in many cities around the world since September, just one person was waiting at the Apple store in Shanghai's financial district when its doors opened at 9 a.m. on Friday."

I'm personally calling BS on Apple's numbers, which I'm guessing because it's China, can be easily faked... to keep shareholders happy, and stop Apple stock sliding even further.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How many genuine sales?

Quite simple they had an enforced reservation system so no point queuing,

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

BS on Apple's figures - really - how could they fake it - people would end up in jail.

1. Persona non grata

Yes, because we always see business types jailed and multi-national businesses for fraudulent actions - see recent HSBC related activities for a complete and thorough refutation of that.

13. weppy

Uh........perhaps it has something to do with average income?

Have you given any thought to the possibility that iPhone sales are not higher because, for the average Chinese citizen, paying $700 for a cell phone is just not an option? China is still a poor country. Perhaps you should travel there sometime. The average monthly salary for a college educated engineer is $2500, while the cost of living has increased dramatically in China. Yes, there are some Chinese citizens who have the disposable income to pay for an iPhone, but this is still a very small percentage as compared to the population of an average Chinese city - even Beijing or Shanghai.

1. shaolin cookie
      Stop

Re: Uh........perhaps it has something to do with average income?

I think you got the currency wrong there. An average salary for college educated people would be a lot closer to 2500 RMB than USD.

2. JaitcH
      Unhappy

China is still a poor country? Spheroids to THAT!

China has much more real money than the USA. The USA borrows money from China! The USA is bankrupt.

3. Pen-y-gors

Re: Uh........perhaps it has something to do with average income?

Average income in China (2011) about $5000, and 170 million still below poverty line (about $500/year). So not unreasonable that a lot of people want the best they can get for under $100 rather than the most expensive thing on the market, even if it is better.

14. Simon Rockman

The signoff is the important bit

It's not the Apple sales figures which matter, it's the bit in the copy which says "With Apple sales flatlining in Europe". The iPhone just isn't cool any more, it's the S3 the kids want

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The signoff is the important bit

I know no kids who want a S3 whereas plenty want iDevices.

1. Mark .

Just one Android phone out of hundreds (the S3) now outsells Apple, who only have one iphone per generation. If we compare by company, or heaven forbid Android to iphone, the difference is massive.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, it doesn't. There was a period, briefly, before the launch of the iPhone 5, when it did according to some estimations. That position has been completely reversed.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

aaahhhhhhhhhhh...

The sweaty smell of desperation from commentards who bet the farm on AAPL @ 70000¢ a share.

lmao

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry, what actual EVIDENCE does she have for that? Typical of a Leach article it will be thin to non-existent.

3. toadwarrior

From what I can see on the train that's not true. Kids generally have blackberries or iphones. Adults have iphones or cheaper Android phones or blackberries. I've seen more people with Windows phones than the S3.

I'm not going to say no one is buying the S3 but it's certainly not all the rage amongst everyone and Apple's flat sales could be due to the fact they make good hardware. I know fandroids point and laugh at the battery that can't be removed and yet I still see plenty of 3GS units around so people obviously hang onto their phones for awhile. Android sales could be high because they cut corners, like on batteries, so it only makes sense to get another on contract than to buy an expensive battery.

1. Neil Greatorex

@ Toadwarrior

I've seen more people with Windows phones than the S3.
        Not sure where you're looking, I work with techies, I drink down the pub & I travel on public transport, so I see lots of people using phones, I've seen one, yes one, windows phone in the last 2 years & that was a German sales rep I was introduced to at a party in Germany, and he was embarrassed & kept trying to say it was Company supplied. Total bollocks obviously, no company on the planet would give windows phones to sales people, it's the quickest way to say to potential clients " We're wankers, don't buy from us".

My sisters' beloved Blackberry went titsup a few weeks ago (40° cycle) & she's now got an Siii. She knocks on her neighbours doors to tell them about it every day: "It knows when I'm looking at it!!!!! - OMG"

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Considering they sold 2m in China in one weekend when they sold 5m across all of the EU and US in one weekend that's already a great figure. Some people in China will already have imported them 'grey' and when you then factor that its not even being sold by the largest telco in China the figures are pretty stunning.

1. Mark .

The S3 sold 10 million on release. That's just one of many Samsung phones, and of hundreds of Android phones, which now has 75% share and rising to iphone's 15% and falling.

Apple are like the 9 year old kid who comes third in the egg and spoon race - for some reason they get hyped, even though what they do is nothing special for multinationals. Sorry, most of us are fed up of hearing about them.

1. Doogie1

"Sorry, most of us are fed up of hearing about them."

So why bother reading every article about them and commenting multiple times?

2. rogerpjr
        Thumb Down

You know, I thank you for this particular post. I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking thusly... I an SICK of the press slighting Android for Apple. The advantages for Android are obvious. The numbers are staggering. The Android volume is Massive. Yet Android appears to be the "Rodney Dangerfield" of the Mobile operating systems-Platforms. Why make an app for the MINORITY OS?? defies logic..

16. Neil Lewis
    Joke

Impressive ex-pat statistic

'*503 million Europeans in the EU plus 312 million in the USA' - that's a helluvalot of ex-pats!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ouch, my butt hurts

If you don't like Anna's articles, then why do you still insist on reading them and then heading over to bitch about them?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple phones are (mostly) well made*

Just as good as Samsung. They are, however, grossly overpriced.

*Except for some occasional hardware problems (eg antenna), and occasional software problems (eg maps).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple phones are (mostly) well made*

Are these the sort of problems you're talking about?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/us-cellular-galaxy-siii/212479-u-s-cellular-exchanging-s3s-starting-10-1-a.html

Try googling for S3 call drop problems and cut and paste problems. Oh and don't the kernel exploit

1. Mark .

Re: Apple phones are (mostly) well made*

Ah yes, copy and paste - the very thing the iphone couldn't do for years, yet Apple fans said this was not only a problem, but it was better not to have it - it was a whole new "paradigm". Oddly that logic didn't work when Apple did add this basic UI functionality, years behind the competition.

I hear these days to use Swype-like keyboards on an iphone, you have to run it as a separate program, then copy and paste it into where you actually want to type. This is an example that its users consider a great UI.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Limit of two per person?

I wonder if they had a limit of two per person? Maybe they could have sold more, or maybe they just want the entertainment of the taser being used.

不要電擊槍我可租可買計劃“。

20. rich2201
    FAIL

But once the BIG carrier is on board...

Apple has their phones in two major carriers representing something like 20% of the Chinese market. So, there's 5x the potential. 0.15% x 5 = 0.75%.

Maybe they really do dig the iPhone.

The largest carrier however, does have less 3G coverage and lower smart phone penetration. So, upside is a little limited for a couple years until they get their LTE network deployed.

21. rogerpjr
    Happy

But then.... Neither are we....

'Nuff said...

Oh, other than what some label "KARMA", does like to visit those screwing over others. ( how apple screwed XEROX PARC).. ANd so.. we wind up here.... Reading this story.. And those of us around in those days, chuckle. BUT I have a feeling the end is no where in sight... Not so good for the fruity themed one... Not good at all. ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But then.... Neither are we....

How many times do we have to tell you (with links to evidence even) that Xerox sold the tech to Apple. Real Judges agreed with Apple on this and threw Xerox's attempt to jump on the 'sue everyone' bandwagon.

1. rogerpjr
        FAIL

Re: But then.... Neither are we....

You were likely not even BORN then... I worked at XEROX... Nothing was sold to Apple. If it were, Apple would have entered and presented legal, documented into evidence. As such they ( Apple ) COULDN'T. Because there was NO sale. XEROX lost out because XEROX attorneys were too inept and waited far too long.

The WSJ as well as several other fair and professional organizations reporting financial, as well as technical news all agreed based on independent research... XEROX HAD A CASE BUT DRUG IT'S HEALS, taking far too long to sue. In the 80s, IP laws were vastly different than now. Heck, even Digital Research copied XEROX GUI. Hence GEM's OS interface. A bit later MACH, STEP and a plethora of others. ALL based on XEROX Tens of MILLIONS in R&D plowed into PARC's efforts to create the paperless office.

22. hexx
    Thumb Down

Anna - get another job

You can't be serious writing articles like this. How much is iPhone 5 in China? What's the average income of an average family in China, how many of these families can afford one? Not bright enough to connect the dots???

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do appletwats always bang on about how expensive they are? They are practically free on contract!

They are the most CHAVVY PIKEY item to be seen with?

Apple have overtaken BURBERRY in the chav stakes.

Plenty of CHAVVY BMW owners out there! Quite a few in here too by the sounds of it.

iPhone died years ago, get over it.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ditch both and get yourself the easiest, cleanest and fastest OS, windows phone 8!

Wipes the floor with droid and apple in terms of UI.

25. PhilBack
    Flame

Who cares?

Doing any extrapolation on such a changing market is really silly.

Look at phones from a year ago. What? So old? So out of date already?

What about next year? What about things like WhatsApp and stuff that will change the whole ecosystem?

These devices are *all* turning into powerhouses. I wouldn't be astonished to see these running emulations of each other (ala VMWare) in a couple of years rendering all of this Apple vs Samsung vs whoevere ridiculous.

And let's face it: Apple makes damn cool hardware that is not giving us stuttering framerates like we can still see on a quad core Android box. It is going to be creative destruction all the way down.

And I was playing with a windows phone some time ago, things were quite smooth as well!

26. Rack1600

Rinse and Repeat

This is hand-me-down news really, and not a great coverage - some better analysis of numbers of people with good incomes, comparitive sales figures for similar phones, comparison of the different Network Providers in China would have helped it be more informative.

But you have to take the underlying message as real - Apple have NOT penetrated the china market yet. But there is massive potential - China is one of the only rapidly-growing economies in the world at the moment. It is comparitively well developed in the areas that matter - in the major cities. The divide in income is quite geographical too, so it is easy to work out your potential market.

People in china do want these high-end phones. However as Nokia and Samsung have much better market penetration through the carriers, and better brand recognition and phone selection, Apple do have an uphill battle - it is not the out-and-out win it has been in the past.

Saying that, what Apple brings to the table these days is relatively boring. It is an incremental change - yes, better everything (screen, battery, processor, camera), but nothing astounding. Seen the low-light photos from Nokia's 920, or better yet the videos are amazing - the sound quality knocks the pants off everything else. I have to say the first impression is amazing. Even Samsung's SG3 has just had some pretty amazing updates to their software - especially the camera, to make it more competitive, and the screen and thinness is just awsome for the size. While the iPhone 5 looks like a stretched iPhone 4. Really boring. Safe for people who like Apple, but boring for people who aren't won over about Apple, or iOS, who are finding out abo ut all 3 ecosystems simultaneously instead of being led to believe that Steve Jobs feaces smelled of roses, and he cried diamonds.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like