back to article iPad mini to outsell iPad, get Retina Display? iPad to slenderize?

It was close. We Apple fanbois nearly had to endure an entire week without an iPad rumor, but as the week drew to a close those intrepid rumor-mongers at DigiTimes gifted us with two – in the same brief article, no less – and NPD Display Search added a third. Rumor #1: According to the ocasionally accurate Taiwanese market …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Happy

Cue a tirade of Apple hating posts

from Fandroids.

Shouting loud and clear that Android whips IOS's backside etc etc etc.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it would be nice if one side wouldn't slag off the other at every opportunity.

Before anyone asks, I own a MBP (for Photo Editing), an old iPod touch, my Mobile is an Android and I have an Android powere Fondleslab so I'll probably get slagged off by both sides.

1. Jim in Hayward
      Thumb Up

Re: Cue a tirade of Apple hating posts

LOL - Yeah. But us Apple loving folks could care less....like my portfolio. Go Apple!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Jim in Hayward

Could care less, or couldn't care less?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @ Jim in Hayward

Let us be honest - someone who would actually type "LOL" without a trace of irony is almost certainly using the incorrect phrase.

2. David Webb

@AC - I think that joke may have gone over a lot of peoples head, so bloody well done for such a funny and obscure reference!

3. M Gale

Re: Could care less, or couldn't care less?

Teehee.

4. FanMan
          Holmes

Jim is obviously an American, that's how they say it over there.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Doesn't matter how they say it over there - it's plain and simply WRONG. It's semantics - if you "could care less" about something, it infers you actually currently care about it. If you "couldn't care less" then you don't care at all. I don't give a shit how they say it, it's WRONG.

1. hplasm
              Headmaster

Whilst I agree, I have seen it explained as:- "I could care less <but I can't be bothered>."

Which is quite annoying.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I applaud your correction of this ridiculous aberration in American phrasing, but please research the correct usage of "infer" (contrasted with "imply", which is what you should have used).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cue a tirade of Apple hating posts

Put all the other tablet makers on notice?

Now that's what I'm talking about Willis.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Synonymous

This article really does sum up the Apple attitude.( remove the sarcastic subtetly of the article first)....

The Nancy Boys just can't bear it, they haven't had a rumour for almost a week.

How twee.......

PS: Before the PC Brigade get all upset, the expression "Nancy Boys" was first coined by George Orwells' Down and out in London and Paris......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Synonymous

Typical old useless moron . Angry at everyone else and ensuring you have a go at the PC brigade. Guess what, no one cares, go back go pooping yourself, gramps.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
        Trollface

Let's see:

From the text I doubt you would understand my age. ( There is one clue but I doubt your intelligence would stretch that far)

You are posting as AC, that stands for itself.

I don't really see too much "anger" in what was written, it was more of a cheap "stab".

I don't think that "Everyone else" owns an Apple product and if they would have been addresed correspondingly.

And I guess that you do care, otherwise you would not have taken the time to respond.

You must be one of them little tiny trolls, the insignificant kind, that's an oxymoron really, the ones that haven't learned how to troll on their own yet.... Let me guess you've just learned to hit the keys on your keyboard and amazingly you managed to spawn some drivel....... Well done I felicitate your prowess...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

it was more of a cheap "stab"

At least you don't lack value judgement, but I'm just wondering why you found it absolutely essential to post that.

It's an article about Apple. So, the discussion could be about the merits of what is reported, or a debate on whether a new format is really the way to go, or if 1 LED bar is enough, why did they ever start with 2, or maybe they ought to sort the battery life so it lasts longer than a number 2 on the toilet - LOTs of stuff to talk about.

The only possible way this could touch Android would be with some factual comparisons - this the above holds true for articles about any other brand/product/service where stupid "x is better than y" talk is attempted to be sold as fact rather than the opinion it invariably is.

So, why? Because you still of an age of having to cope with zits? Not that I mind, I'm the proud father of far too bright kid myself and I enjoy that immensely, but he and his friends have already outgrown trolling (not "cool", apparently) and they're not even 14 yet, hence my question.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
            Trollface

If you read the rest of the comments you will quickly realise that "no-one" actually gives a toss about 1 Led or 2. It really isn't that interesting except to the "exceptional" geek.

Even the author didn't manage to write one sentence with having a cheap stab at themselves.

I notice that you yourself haven't added anything to the comments other than to complain about someone else, and you call me a troll......pot, kettle, black

2. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Nancy Boys

Not a series of the adventures of a group of young hermaphrodite detectives then?

3. Arthur Jackson
    Big Brother

I particularly enjoyed reading Orwells " Keep the Flying Aspidistra"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1894 is much better

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Either that was that written by his grandfather or George did a historical period novel that was not very popular, lol?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: 1894

I think that's 1984 for people suffering lysdexia (have it slightly myself, hence being a huge fan of Open Dyslexia). And for the humour impaired, yes, I know I misspelt dyslexia..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

You're both wrong. It was an [obviously too] subtle riposte to the previous commentard's assertion that Orwell wrote "Keep the Flying Aspidistra".

Maybe I should have gone for "Farm Animal", after all!

1. Spoonsinger
              Alien

Re: Keep the Flying Aspidistra

Sound like those baddies, (or natives - if that's your non-colonial, eco friendly, hair shirt outlook), in the Space 1889 rpg, (but the late 80's were a weird time - both of them - so might still be tripping).

2. Frank Bough
              WTF?

It's like watching a car crash in slow motion around here.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

While it was an obvious riposte, so was the previous one.

2. Paul Chapman

I always thought it was particularly cruel that "dyslexia" is such a complex word. It should have been called something simple like "jim" for the sake of sufferers...

4. JaitcH
    Happy

So much for Jobs infallibility

Guess it's just as well he's not walking around as he would be wiping the egg of his face.

P.S. Reg: Like the edit feature - no excuse for typo's.

1. M Gale
      Trollface

Re: no excuse for typo's.

Or, indeed, apostrophe catastrophes.

Apostrophe catastrophe's?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: no excuse for typo's.

And no excuse for confusing of and off.

5. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Big Brother

Keep the [Aspidistras Flying]

Haven't read it, but Down and Out in [Paris and London] is pretty good. I'll always remember what he said about the quality of cutlery in a restaurant (that and forgetting that he had a gas bottle he could return when he was stony).

6. Shonko Kid
    Stop

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Next year's Company X Product to be incrementally better than this year!

EXTRA EXTRA!

May even look slightly different from last year's!

1. Frank Bough
      FAIL

Re: EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

You DID read all about it. Who's laughing now?

7. Kevin Johnston

Shurely Shome mishtake

Are those extra displays not for the forthcoming iPhone5XXL with the extra large screen?

8. Dana W
    Trollface

Just dumped my Nexus 7 and got a free iPad Mini "the best kind" The local Apple stores are fresh out, and people are clamoring for more. Steve-O was wrong, people do want a small tablet.

I'm enjoying a brighter screen and games that "mostly" don't look like crappy flash games from Facebook. "Though I really miss playing Pew-Pew"

You will be seeing a LOT more of the iPad Mini. No matter what the Android Fanbois say The biggest screen does not make it best.

I was out at the Mall of America today at the holiday mobbed Apple store. The Microsoft store was slow enough I counted four employees just standing there. it was great. Apparently things are just not rosy under the Surface.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Steve-O was wrong, people do want a small tablet.

I'm not sure Jobs was all about making what people wanted - that's Apple minus Jobs. Jobs' opinion probably comes from mini tablets offering a me-too feeling instead of Apple leading with innovation (retina displays being a good example of that). I had a look at those smaller iPads, they're OK but as I have a smartphone I can do with small content on that. For anything larger I'd personally get the "standard" size iPad (haven't made up my mind yet).

2. elaar

Even IF the Surface was a superb device, I think most of the general public are too lazy to even research it. If they want a tablet, they just copy their friends or go with the hype.

1. Frank Bough
        Thumb Up

You would never do that though, would you? You're cleverer than that. It must be lonely up there.

3. hplasm
      Devil

Re: Steve-O was wrong, people do want a small tablet.

A little black one marked with a skull & crossbones to take when they realise they are trapped forever in the Walled Garden of Shiny ...

1. Dana W

Re: Steve-O was wrong, people do want a small tablet.

How am I trapped? I don't buy DRMed stuff. I'll buy music from Apple sometimes, but that isn't locked down at all.

9. elaar

So the next ipad mini will have a decent screen, and the next ipad will be lighter? I'm hoping there's going to be a bit more to the new models than that.

10. Rob 22

As I handed over the cash for my mini iPad..

having already been a 'new iPad' ie Retina owner, I already knew in my bones that the Retina version would be due soon.

It's inevitable right? But now I think, did Apple have the mini available all along, and just release them to flog to people like me, knowing there'll be plenty of people who will buy them?

ps Fllame & hate away, I'm not a fanboi or whatever the Android-loving equivalent is, indeed not especially loyal to any brand, I just buy what I like.

Also, I get the impression sometimes that many general people at large, don't realise that Apple products, like any really, take time to design and build, and somehow theink their suddden appearance in stores isn't th result of months of planning and manufacture - instead of being created from fairy dust the night before? Anyone else get that impression?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

> fairy dust

Don't most people think that way today? Interest in understanding how things are designed, produced or maintained is low. It's down there with proudly advertised ignorance about politics and economics ("too complicated for me, LOL"). Replaced by greenery, "social-mindedness" and proud marveling at the new gadget one bought on credit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Destroy All Monsters

....you can add people droning on about how special and 'gifted' their kids are. Who are invariably called Josh.

11. Philip Lewis
    Facepalm

"It doesn't take a crystal ball to predict that the yearly cadence will continue"

My atrophied old brain seems to recall that Apple have quite recently already deviated quite substantially from this yearly "cadence" for the iPad. (perhaps you missed it)

Don't let facts get in the way of Apple bashing or making up a story - that just wouldn't be journalism at all, would it?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optional

Personally, I'm just waiting for Wacom to take advantage of the economies of scale introduced by Apple's displays, and do a 300+ppi cintiq.

Then I'll have something I even more can't afford and even more desperately want.

13. Lallabalalla
    Mushroom

So...

Rumour #1: Totally obvious, been saying that since day 1 and it's the reason I wouldn't get one when it came out, since v2 was always going to be the "proper" one. Slightly interesting that there may be "backlighting industry sources" though.

Rumour #2: Obvious again. Now that Apple have given up on innovating and just go for that tried and trusted model "milking it" thinner/lighter is about the only thing left. They've screwed up the iMac with their bulimic obession so now everything else must follow.

Rumour #3: No, Steve-O wasn't wrong. Then. Back when there was nothing much in tabletland the big 10" was the way to go. Now that everybody has one, a smaller one has become valid. Times change. Not on the forums here, obvs, but everywhere else. Said that before too, and I'll say it again, because it's my opinion and no-one can take that away from me, downvote all you like, troll-boys, so, flame on! :)

14. Dana W
    Meh

I have now owned both the Nexus 7 and the iPod Mini. The Nexus 7 is pretty nice. And for its price, it can't be beat. But for my uses I prefer the iPad Mini. It's GPU is not as snappy, but I like how it displays web pages. I like how its native bookreader lets me sideload e-books, unlike Google books. And I'm loving the pinball sims.

I sold the Nexus 7 to my ex. Also a Mac owner and she loves it. Both have their uses, and the hardware in in the Nexus is more robust and definitely has more gaming punch.

If I hadn't gotten an iPad Mini for Xmas, I'd still be using it. People really need to calm down. They both have their merits and uses and no tablet is a one size fits all solution.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like