back to article iPhone 5 launches in China, late and expensive. Chinese say 'meh'

The iPhone 5 has finally launched in China, but reaction has been lukewarm. Launching their fastest-selling product ever in the world's biggest market is an opportunity for Apple to clock up major sales. And Apple need to maintain global market share against Android, which took 75 percent of smartphone sales in the last three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the subtitle?

Don't the Chinese see practically every phone made?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why the subtitle?

Because it's an Anna Leach story and she has some sort of problem with Apple. Presumably Steve Jobs killed her dog or something given how she goes out of her way to post trolling Apple stories.

I can understand fanboyism from commenters but the sour grapes doesn't look very good coming from a supposedly professional IT journo.

1. Random Handle

>I can understand fanboyism from commenters but the sour grapes doesn't look very good coming from a supposedly professional IT journo.

Tonight's Now Show - BBC R4 [20 mins or so in] - just demolished the iPhone and iOS6 - not exactly a hot bed of technical evangelism. Apple's free ride in the media is definitely over, don't kid yourself it's a Register thing.

1. Bob Vistakin
          Happy

"Apple's free ride in the media is definitely over"

As it is in the markets - this was today:

"Another Bite Out of Apple’s Stock Price"

http://wallstreetsectorselector.com/2012/12/another-bite-out-of-apples-stock-price/

This was a week ago:

"Apple suffers worst share price fall in four years as $35bn wiped off tech giant"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/electronics/9725956/Apple-suffers-worst-share-price-fall-in-four-years-as-35bn-wiped-off-tech-giant.html

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oh well that's it then if 20 minutes on BBC radio have the impact you suggest. Perhaps the huge queues at the Apple stores and 2 deep around the iPads in John Lewis tell a different story (and that was not just this week).

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
            Thumb Down

Ladas must have been bloody brilliant. Russians waited for years to get one.

2. Random Handle

>Oh well that's it then if 20 minutes on BBC radio have the impact you suggest.

.... wasn't refering to sales - that's next year's story - rather the polar shift in the position of public & media on Apple - both of which increasingly define iPhone in terms of iOS6 Maps, SIRI, iPhone signal drops etc

I think the 2 or 3 minute TNS sketch was a quite accurate summary of current real world view of Apple - and it was written by group of largely iPhone owners - being R4 I'd expect a high rate of ownershp in the studio audience too and they were laughing not booing.

>20 minutes on BBC radio have the impact you suggest

I think a lot of people underestimate the impact of R4 - its not so much how many listen, but who listens.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Next week it will be Android - how about stories about security issues / fragmentation etc. They both have their merits - it's like suggesting you can have a black car or a white car and whoever has the other one is just plain wrong. I like iOS as it would seem to be more secure, it makes sense if you already have an iPod / iTunes or just prefer the integration. But... Android also suits a lot of people - it's cheaper (usually) and I guess a lot of people just do not care as they use their phone as a phone / for texting.

I know plenty of people with Android phones who have setup no email accounts on it and some do not even have data tariffs.

1. turnip handler
            FAIL

"But... Android also suits a lot of people - it's cheaper (usually) and I guess a lot of people just do not care as they use their phone as a phone / for texting. I know plenty of people with Android phones who have setup no email accounts on it and some do not even have data tariffs."

You were being so calm until you said this...this strange theme that says just because Android has more market share people people really would get iPhones if they had more money or used email. It would be far better to focus on things that the Apple eco-system does provide than say that poor people with no care for mobile email get by using Android.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's a comedy show. Hardly journalism.

Such shows made fun of Microsoft when they were covered in the media as much as Apple.

2. Ted Treen
        Pint

Re: Why the subtitle? @AC 14/12 17:35

Spot-on. One of this Christmas's wise men.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good ole English, talking shite as usual!

Because, a journo writes anti-apple commentary, the output becomes invalid?

Back to your iPad, saddo!

2. LarsG
      Meh

China produce so many mobile phones, every shape and size, 3 sim, 4 sim phones with technology to match, 1,2,3,4 and now probably 5 core mobiles. They are all fit for purpose and if you want an iphone get a copy at a tenth of the price.

That's why no ones bothered anymore. Oh and you might just get turned down for a job if you have one.

3. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Facepalm

Stuff the subtitle. Why the title?

"iPhone 5 launches in China..."

What did the only iPhone in China launch? Did Chinese air defences swing into action and shoot it down? Or was it launched onto water? Where is whatever it was now? Does anyone who blogs for El Reg these days have the wit to differentiate between a noun, verb, participle, etc?

Enquiring minds need to know these things.

2. Pen-y-gors

Strange pricing

At first glance the 23% markup compared to US prices seems odd, given that shipping costs are lower, presumably staff costs in the shops are lower etc. Do they have to give a ten year warranty or something? Is there a large sales tax in China? That's normally the justification for higher prices in the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange pricing

Yes, VAT in China is 17% plus local taxes. Maybe a special "consumption tax" also applies, not sure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Simple, the most expensive, the more exclusive idiots think it is...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You get what you pay for." It's moronese the world over for "here, take my wallet"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Don't expect real news when reading The Register

From Mic Gadget, who of course know their own ground:

"there is a reasonable explanation for today’s quiet iPhone 5 launch. Apple recently had a new reservation system in China to avoid scuffles. [...] Chinese consumers have to reserve a product online before they can buy it in the store. For the new iPad, the iPad mini, and today’s iPhone 5 launch, Chinese consumers are required to follow Apple’s new rules.

[..]

Actually, there’s another reason why no one shows up for today’s iPhone 5 launch. Apple is not offering contract-free iPhone 5 units for sale in all retail stores in mainland China.

So, the reason why the iPhone 5 fails to draw crowds for China launch is that China Apple Stores are only offering iPhone 5 on a contract with China Telecom to walk-in customers. In the past, where thousands of people lined up outside the Beijing Apple Store and Shanghai Apple Store on iPhone 4S launch day, walk-in customers are allowed to purchase contract-free iPhones, and no online reservation is needed."

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Don't expect real news when reading The Register

If there needs to be "reasonable explanations" for a quiet, uneventful launch day at the Apple Stores, something sure is not quite right.

4. eSeM

Apple Share Price ....

Down another $20.

Says it all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: Apple Share Price ....

so what does the $131 it climbed this year say?

1. eSeM

A lot less than the $200 it has lost since the launch of the iPhone 5.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Go

It's a bargain. Actually just bought my first 15 shares in Apple (guess I need a disclaimer now, or not, most writers here seem a lot more conflicted).

We'll see how it works out.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

@dx

AAPL Stock Price on Jan 1st, 2012: $401.44 (Adjusted Close)

AAPL Stock Price on Dec 13, 2012: $529.69 (Adjusted Close)

Total gain: $128.25 per share for the year to date.

iPhone 5 released 21 Sep 2012. AAPL Stock price on that day was $696.91 (Adjusted close)

As shown above, AAPL stock closed yesterday at $529.69. Total loss per share since iPhone5 intro of $167.22

Given there are 940.69 million shares, that loss equates to $157,302,181,800. 157 Billion dollars is one quarter of their company value gone in two months. I see no reason why the stock price will not continue to decline as their customer base dries up.

Source: http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=AAPL + http://www.google.com/finance?cid=22144

1. tony
          Happy

So are you going to get some free money from your prediction?

3. LPF
        Thumb Down

Don't reality is just plain annoying to people like him

4. NellyBelly

"so what does the $131 it climbed this year say?"

its says that people expected great innovative things from Apple this year not a re-hash of existing products. The $200 drop shows how disappointed people are with what they got.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          FAIL

Right.

> 157 Billion dollars is one quarter of their company value

That value is not the "company value". It is a hypothetical number with no basis in reality generated by overheated speculative fever - aka "a bubble" - due to people having too much cash. In other words, people just buy at that price because they hope to sell the day after for some profit. This is only gonna get worse, as Quantitative Easing 4 has now been given the go-ahead.

2. mrfill
          Trollface

but does this mean I should buy, or sell pork bellies????

3. Frank Bough
          WTF?

People tend to make their bets AHEAD of launches...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could become expensive endauvor for Apple

Launching a product in restricted market and special network configuration and to fail it can be really expensive. That's tens millions of RND costs and other tens of millions of manufacturing costs to cover before any gain. Choosing CT is not very wise in China. It has only 17% market share in 2011. And 4G networks are also still in testing phase. So there iwill not be what so ever benefit of LTE in iPhone 5 for long time. And Chinese are not going to make a investment without benefit.

Bottomline: if iPhone5 is having reputation, that LTE does not work and that it just is not as hip as for example Galaxy S III, It Just Will Not Sell.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"have a merry Xmas Mr/Ms moderator"

Bah humbug.

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple claiming ~300 000 expressions of interest form a population of ~3000 000 000 eh? Gosh.

7. Red Bren
    Coat

Perhaps the Chinese fanbois have ran out of kidneys?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sell your kidney for an iPhone or your pride for Android <lol>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sell your kidney for an iPhone or your pride for Android"

W O W.

The stupidity is off the scale!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>W O W.

>The stupidity is off the scale!

Must be an employee of Microsoft

;-)

8. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Apple, make up your mind

Now, you want the Chinese to buy them. Yesterday, you didn't:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/986768-469/woman-zapped-by-taser-after-being-asked.html

What's "Don't Taze me, bro!" in Mandarin?

9. JaitcH
    WTF?

Why would anyone in China want an Apple ...

when, for USD$60, I can get a 4-SIM smartphone, unlocked, with numerous features that Apple will undoubtedly copy in the future?

iThingies ... as common as dirt.

1. Ted Treen
      Meh

Re: Why would anyone in China want an Apple ...

"...iThingies ... as common as dirt..."

So are Leach acolytes. trolls & anti-apple moaners.

2. Frank Bough
      IT Angle

Do you have one, then?

3. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      WTF?

"when, for USD$60, I can get a 4-SIM smartphone, unlocked, with numerous features that Apple will undoubtedly copy in the future"

Because it will be shit. You can buy a 7" tablet for $60 as well, doesn't mean it can go head to head with a Nexus 7.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"iThingies ... as common as dirt."

Like their owners!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I believe Queeniepoohs owns an iThingy... so not quite all their owners are hoi palloi.

That said, she has just awarded Samsung a warrant... so she's hardly a fanboisette

ratflmao

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

23% price hike in China?

I guess it must be the result of shipping the Made in China iPhone all the way to the US for saintly blessing and then back again.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Apple announced they sold 2 million iPhone 5's in China in 3 days.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/12/16iPhone-5-First-Weekend-Sales-in-China-Top-Two-Million.html

So much for 'meh'. Give the bullshit a rest.

1. jai

Don't worry, Anna will find some way to portray that in a negative light.

2. Lallabalalla
      Coat

RE: 2 million iPhone 5's

So this whole article is just plain old bullshit then? We Used to call that something else before lawyering-up went all wrong.

Nice one, Register. Let's have some more of this:

The UK Govt. Is Wonderful And Doing EVERYTHING Right.

The Technical Stuff Inside Computers Is Actually Icing Sugar And Fluff.

The Harry Potter Books Are Non-Fiction.

The Hobbit Is My Uncle

etc

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Apple in China

You'd need a pretty good map app there I guess.

13. Great Bu

Although he kept quiet for the Wal Street Journal

I do think that Apple seem to have missed an important market segment in not optimising their user experience for the low temperature water based customer market (many of whom have very thin stick based arms which must make any touch screen use tricky).

14. hexx
    FAIL

BS?

What's this BS???? Apple sold over 2M devices in 3 days - Anna smoking something good? pass it over ;)

15. crayon

Apple is a bit late. Chinese companies already released iphone 5s last year. Now they're probably onto iphone 6s or 7s.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If MEH is 2m sold in the first weekend I'll have MEH.

17. rogerpjr
    Happy

Turn-About is what? ( ANdroid is INNOVATION )

It's come full circle... Now if we could SOMEHOW get some dosh put back into XEROX pocket for STARTING this GUI business...

Oh but in the meantime, um, guess whose OS in in the majority of those SmartPhones. In CHINA, the EU, as well as the USA??? ( LATEST NUMBERS AS OF 21/Dec/ '12 shows Apple tops NADA, NOTHING period!) NOOO, not iOS' boys, they don't license their OS to ANYBODY. Hence their being relegated into a soon to be minor role ( it's a numbers game, remember, Apple??) NOO not WINdows anything. Although, yes it could be a play sometime in the future ( Nah, don't bet on it, we all see how MS tried, no did screw MOST linux os, as well as HTC, Lenovo et al. Folks see that stuff!! )

It's ANDROID!!!! Resistance is FUTILE.. ANdroid isFree, Open. Fun. Regular updates ( Well... Google does IT's part ) Just saw where NEW TINY Chinese companies are embracing ANDROID in HORDES. I've convinced ALL my company to go GOOGLE ANDROID.. But then so did FaceBook recently.. HENCE the fantastic job done with Facebook 2.0 upgrade for Android. And I AM LOVIN' IT!

Apple, you need quiet time. Screwing over XEROX PARC 33 years ago set up a pattern of NEGATIVITY that shall be BROUGHT INTO BALANCE. Although Apple pretends otherwise, Apple CAN'T KEEP UP!! ..Can't fight the universe Apple=FAIL

WATCH ANDROID's INNOVATIONS in 2013 and beyond. These news people are Apple Biased. ANDROID will be like a Tsunami JUST WATCH... HAHAHA..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like