back to article Xamarin tool lets devs build .Net apps for Mac OS X

Cross-platform developer tools vendor Xamarin has released Xamarin.Mac, a new toolkit that allows developers to build applications for deployment to Apple's Mac App Store using Microsoft's C# language and the .Net Framework. "With the release of Xamarin.Mac, it is now possible to build apps in C# for over 2.2 billion devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Down

richard.cartledge@snc.ac.uk

10 years too late.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: richard.cartledge@snc.ac.uk

10 years too late.

IMHO still 20 years too early. As far as I can see, companies have managed very well to create code without it, and I personally would not see this as the right way to transfer to the OSX platform. The idea is to deal with one set of platform issues, not two.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

Just what every Mac developer ever wanted.

Not.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mac users will not put up with it.

Go ahead, release your app that behaves like a badly emulated .Net app on OS X and looks, feels, and does-not-interface to the subsystems the way a native OS X application does and watch how many people will put up with it. Lack of sales, full steam ahead!

1. P. Lee

Re: Mac users will not put up with it.

I suspect the plan is for windows devs to have an option to release for mac as well, rather than enticing mac devs to code for windows.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You clearly have no understanding of what the product is nor have you read anything about the product. I'd recommend learning about a product before writing something about it, then you might be able to avoid looking foolish by being completely and utterly incorrect.

3. csumpi
      FAIL

Exactly. Nobody will use it. So go back and fire up your favorite 3d game on your iDevice... oh wait, most likely that's already using Mono as part of the Unity engine.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

C# is a pleasure to use

And I use it often as a scripting language within Unity. So, I can already write portable code for OS X, iOS, Android, Windows etc. in C# using Mono, and it didn't cost me $399. As for using Objective-C: well, I would rather chew off my left foot, but have no problem with others using it if that is their preference.

1. Pet Peeve
      Boffin

Re: C# is a pleasure to use

I agree, I like c# quite a bit and use it quite happily in monoDevelop. What does Xamarin.mac offer me that monoDevelop doesn't, other than a pricetag?

2. Comments are attributed to your handle
      Thumb Up

Another +1 for C#. Awesome language.

3. csumpi
      Thumb Up

C# is amazing. Well thought out language, great libraries. And hats off to Miguel and team: mono is super fast and has been stable for production for a long time.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. csumpi
      Stop

Re: Just in time...

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about and are linking to an article that was some click bait from someone who has absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Read and learn: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br229583.aspx

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Just in time...

Seem to remember people saying the same thing about Silverlight (RIP)

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Had a look at it...

Priced to scare, do not want.

1. John 62

Re: Had a look at it...

priced to scare? Well if you want to be a joiner, you'll need lots of tools, probably including a table saw, which you could easily spend $400 on, and that's just one of the tools. Your MacBook air will be much cheaper than a White Van, too.

8. Goat Jam
    Alert

The first thing I do when I setup a new PC

apt-get purge mono-4.0-gac

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like