back to article Nook Video store launches, brings UltraViolet to Blighty

UK bookseller Barnes & Noble has become the first retailer in the UK to support UltraViolet, the online film library that’s the closest thing we have to a universal digital content format - and which Tesco reckons is "too complicated" for Brits. Enter Nook Video, a B&N service with makes movie and TV show downloads available …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crisp

Easier just to get your mate to tape it off the telly

Pop it on a USB stick and Bob's your uncle.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. LarsG
      Meh

I thought

That was the name of that really awful Sci-fi film that bombed.

2. Derichleau
    Facepalm

Barns & Noble are not a UK retailer

Although Barnes & Noble may have retail outlets in the UK the UltraViolet website is operated by a US data controller. If you want to hand your personal data to yet another overseas company and forgo the statutory rights afforded you as a UK data subject then by all means register.

I think it's important to distinguish between a UK retailer that operates under UK laws and has a legal obligation to uphold the statutory rights of it's UK data subjects, and those that don't.

1. David Hicks
      Stop

Re: Barns & Noble are not a UK retailer

Heh.

I don't disagree with any of that, but when our own government (in the form of GOV.uk) uses Google Analytics and an outsourced helpdesk program from zendesk in San Francisco, it kind feels like the battle has been lost.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it really the first? I bought an Ultraviolet-linked Blu_Ray in Tesco last week and have been happily watching the UV version streamed from my shiny new UltraViolet account at Flixster.

1. Fuzz

first retailer

You bought a disc that came with a UV license to play the film until Warner decide to stop you.

The Nook video store is the first place you can buy a UV license in the UK without first buying a disc.

UV is a mess. I bought a blu-ray last week that came with a UV license so I thought I'd check it out. First I went to the UV website and registered for an account, then I clicked on my collection to add in the code from the bluray box. Only that's not how you do it, instead I had to go to the flixster website choose my film from the list and enter the code there. This means I now have a UV account and a flixster account.

If I buy another bluray from warner it will show up on my flixster account, if I buy a new bluray from someone else I will need another account and another piece of software to play the film.

Once I got the whole thing set up it was a fairly OK experience but I think it's nearly as quick to rip the film off of the disc and recompress for the appropriate system.

1. Danny 14

Re: first retailer

I agree. I thought UV was a sort of "central repository" of films that I simply add my UV code to watch. But oh no, UV is sort of a central licensing authority that you need an account for. you then have many subsidiaries that you need to use to watch said items.

Waste of time.

4. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

UV?

Not required here. Move along, move along.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MR

Bought a Nook HD 8GB yesterday, registered a nook account, linked my UV account to it, bought a UV title (Sherlock Holmes)

The Sherlock Holmes movie has NOT shown in my uvvu.com "our collection" at all. Neither has the movie I already had in my uvvu.account shown in the nook library.

There is no feature that i could find to enter a voucher code either.

In fact, it seems there is almost nothing of UV that works in the product. A press release disconnected from reality.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like