back to article Sony talks up Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3

To coincide with the US launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in late Q2, Sony is introducing a PS3 bundle, which will include an 80GB console, MGS 4 and a DualShock 3 wireless controller for $499. Whether or not the MSG4 PS3 will be coloured or in any way branded - like the very, very cool Halo 3 Xbox 360 remains …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim Lake
    Paris Hilton

Problem with theming a console...

...is that after a few years your console will look particularly outdated. If I was gonna get one, i'd want it themed timelessly, maybe Paris-home-movie theme :)

2. Iain

I guess that kills pricecut hopes, then.

$499 for the console and one game? I might as well start thinking about pulling the trigger on the $399 base model sooner rather than later, then, given that I wouldn't bother keeping MGS4 in the house.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well...

I suppose Sony has to have something to crow on about, not as if the PS3 has any other exclusive games worth bothering with already or any time soon.

I always find it comical that one of the PS3s oft-touted successes so far is Call of Duty 4, but neglect to mention it sold over 4x as many units on the 360 and twice as many on the PC. None of it's over games have sold very well so far, very few reaching even 1 million units and the ones that have only doing so through being bundled with consoles.

The PS3 is a Bluray player and nothing more until this game sees the light of day, MGS4 is arguably the PS3s real launch as a games system.

4. Greg

Dear sweet Mother of God

I was going to upgrade to the PSP slim for the sole purpose of playing Chains of Olympus on my TV through the video out. I think I'm going to put that upgrade off for a while. I *must* have that Kratos PSP. It will sit nicely next to my Final Fantasy III DS.

Yes, I am a sucker for collectibility. No, I don't care.

$54.95 is a slight piss-take for a controller, though! I bought bloody Steel Battalion for £90!

5. Alistair MacRae
    Thumb Down

MGS1 Original and Best

The first game was really cool in its day.

MGS2 was extremely daft, a Revolver Ocelot being possessed by the transplanted hand of Liquid Snake. That was straining the already shakey believability. Then there were the ridiculously long cut-scenes. Then you didn't play as solid snake for most of the game. You played as some hermarifiadite.

You play through the game slipping on bird poo and killing a fat guy on roller-skates, fight a harrier, fight a vampire!!, some stuff I can’t remember mostly boring. End up on some giant metal gear and every thing goes peculiar. Then you fight some metal gears and then kill solidus snake it’s all a big snore with some bizarre end credits.

Then there was MGS3 which was even worse. It for some reason revolver ocelot’s accent has changed completely. There’s an undead sniper and an Russian astronaut from out of space that sets fire to stuff and even a ghost of some sort.

The whole thing has become a bit of a joke now and gets worse every release so this time around I will forego the whole crappy experience.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the?

"MGS4 is arguably the PS3s real launch as a games system"

Ah. I see what you're saying. Or do I? No. Don't think so.

The PS3 wasn't a gaming system because it didn't have unique games?

To use an analogy, you're saying that the M1 motorway wasn't a car transport system before it had cars. But no, that's not a correct analogy.

How about... The M1 wasn't a car transport system before it had cars that were exclusive to the M1. No, that doesn't make sense either.

If anyone ever figures out what the heck AC meant, please do tell me.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ moaning AC

"The PS3 is a Bluray player and nothing more" Ah right, so Motorstorm, Resistance FOM, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are all figments of our imagination are they? Along with Oblivion, Dirt, Orange Box, Assassin's Creed (the games I have personally) they seem to play terribly well on what you seem to think is just a blu-ray player. Awfully clever these Sony people. Still, if you want to get excited about the numbers of games sold then that's up to you beancountrboi. I prefer actually playing games and I've certainly never been bored of my PS3 yet, despite it's apparent lack of games.

Thanks to John Cleese for part of that, I think :o)

8. Steve Barnes
    Stop

Re: Well...

"PS3's just a Blu-Ray player... it doesn't have any games.. it's over-priced... it's the devil in disguise... it rapes you in the night and uses your tears as a fuel so that it can soon take over the earth and feed on our souls!.."

When will the BS end?! I remember the MD / SNES wars, and PSX / N64 wars etc, but never remember them being quite so whiny and annoying as the current PS3 / 360 war, it's driving me crazy!

360 - great console. PS3 - great console. Wii - great console. Between my mates, we have them all, and they all rule in different ways.

Just wish we didn't have so many people with the intelligence of a 9 year old commenting on these stories..

9. Chad H.
    Alert

@ Tony

What I think he means (and I may or may not agree) is that the Ps3 is yet to have the killer title. To try to use your motorway analogy, he's saying a motorway isnt a motorway if it doesnt lead somewhere that cars want to go.

10. Highlander

@Iain

You might not want to line up on that 40GB model just yet Iain.

Your MGS 80GB PS3 bundle comes with a few things that the 40GB won't get you. PS2 compatibility (which if SCEI job vacancies are to be believed should be getting better), additional USB ports, memory card reader, 40GB of additional HDD space and of course MGS4. I'm assuming (not always a good thing) that the new DualShock 3controller will be available with the 40GB unit as well. So if you're even remotely interested in playing MGS4 the 80GB pack is a fairly good deal. Essentially for $40 you get PS2 compatibility, more USB ports, memory card reader and extra HDD. Gotta like that deal, it makes sense.

Since you wouldn't bother keeping MGS4, you could always turn around and sell it on Ebay for $5 less than retail. I did that with the PS3 version of Madden 08, after it failed to impress (lack of Madden himself commentating, lack of coach mode, strangely no problem with graphics other than the shiny uniforms- why are next gen game afflicted with shiny game characters?). Then I turned around and got the PS2 version and spent the change on a used game. I'd also bet on further special packs when GT5 and FFXIII emerge from hiding.

It just seems that even with the slightly gimped backwards compatibility, the 80GB model has sufficient additional features to make it attractive even if you intend to sell the bundled game on Ebay.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Chad H

I like your motorway analogy, nice one.

I still say a motorway is a motorway is a motorway, even if it only leads to FullAuto2BattlelinesVille (which is a truly dreadful place)

12. Iain

Thanks Highlander

I'm still unsure where in the world I want a PS3 from at the moment (US for cheap BluRay Region A imports, upscaling all my R1 DVDs and indeed cheap consoles, or UK for R2 upscaling and ease of returns if it dies), but I don't really need:

The memory card reader - I'm happy streaming my pictures off my PC with the 360

The extra USB ports - I don't quite know what they're for, and I've got a hub in case

I don't know about the disk space, yet. On the one hand, the paltry 20Gb in my 360 seems to be enough for memory saves and downloaded games, but on the other hand I know some PS3 games are cacheing gigs of stuff on there. We'll see.

As for the other advantages of the 80Gb model, we don't know yet if the 40Gb will gain a DualShock, or indeed if this 80Gb will still have the backward compatibility. Mind you, I only have 1 US PS2 game anyway - Katamari Damacy - so I'll be keeping my softmodded, hard-driven real PS2 going for a while yet.

At the moment it's mainly to be a BluRay player, and the 40Gb model does that just fine. The only games I'm really exited for on the format so far are WipEout HD and SingStar, but there are bound to be more at the format goes on; my PS2 eventually got tonnes of use.

13. Highlander

@Chad & Tony

Funny thing about motorways, they have multiple destinations, and not everyone wants to go to Birmingham, some want to go as far as Carlisle.

In other words, One man's killer application is another man's crappy FPS. Another man's unplayable racer is another's favorite time waster.

All the pronouncements about PS3 not having a killer application are simple garbage. If the definition of a 'killer application' is that it has to match Halo's sales, then I guess there aren't going to be all that many killer applications on any platform. Halo fans are uniquely and fiercely loyal to their game even to the point of buying Halo3 even though it's little more than PAL resolution scaled to 720p and scarcely does more than polish the game mechanics from Halo2. As I said, one man's killer application is another man's crappy FPS. Halo is a case in point.

Personally I would think that MGS4, GT5 and FFXIII will all do very nicely thank you, as have Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, R&C, Burnout Paradise, etc... Everyone's tastes are different. Personally I like RPGs and can't wait for Sega's Valkyria Chronicles game to arrive in the West...One man's killer application...another man's waste of space.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like