back to article The best tablets for Christmas

Thank God for Microsoft. Without it and its new Surface tablet this article would be nothing more than me running around having an Android versus iOS argument with myself. Thankfully, as with smartphones, the arrival of Windows 8, here in its RT incarnation, has saved mankind from a bipolar tablet OS nightmare. More …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Alpha Klutz

tablet computers be shit

soon people are going to realise how shit their life is that even tho they managed to get fucked once or twice, now they sit around with their significant other, using tablet computers and being despicable yuppy scumbags.

the only use for a tablet computer is to be satisified that you are upper middle class enough and/or you have a violent brain disorder that causes you to carry your ipad around in the front seat your range rover or in the glove box with an emergency punnet of organic raspberries.

they have so much money that they have to buy holidays and pretend that theyre having fun and put the pictures on facebook and they will fuck and more yuppies will come out of satan's loins

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: tablet computers be shit

Maybe you just need to grow up and realise other people have different needs to yours and littering your posts with insults and swear words just reinforces that. I see plenty of scumbags with tablets as well <lol>.

2. Richard 81
      Alert

Ladies and gentlemen, please don't feed the trolls.

1. Shark? what shark?

But it's a troll with a badge. Surely feeding is officially sanctioned?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: troll with a badge

maybe "powers that be" ought to remove its badge, or just change it to a troll symbol

1. The Alpha Klutz
            Thumb Up

Re:change it to a troll symbol

yes!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Troll symbol

Can I has one?

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re: Troll symbol

I was going for the Silver, that's why I had to increase the quality of my posts like that.

I just break down modern reality to give my readers the facts

1. Toothpick
                  Stop

modern reality = your reality. No one else

my readers = both of them

the facts = troll shite

1. Richard 81

I'm starting to think this whole badge thing was a bad idea.

1. AceRimmer
                      Happy

@Richard81

Badges just make it easier to identify people with too much time on their hands

1. Marvin the Martian
                        Windows

@Acerimmer: "badges=people with too much time on their hand"

You mean, it's the modern equivalent warning of "never start an argument with someone who buys ink by the barrel"?

2. Simon Harris
                        Pint

Re: @AceRimmer

Badges just make it easier to identify people with too much time on their hands

Check your posting history... you're only a couple of posts away from a badge yourself!

<--- Yours when you get the badge!

1. AceRimmer

@Simon Harris

Now I need to get rid of the badge!

1. Simon Harris
                            Pint

@AceRimmer Re: @Simon Harris

Now I need to get rid of the badge!

Looks like I owe you a pint!

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Nnot big, not clever

Not interesting or funny.

It wasn't even bile filled enough to provoke anger.

Empty.

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re:It wasn't even bile filled enough to provoke anger.

i dunno, feelings of butthurt seem to be running high

1. Blitterbug
                      Meh

Re: i dunno, feelings of butthurt seem to be running high

Nah, it's more the shock of finding such puerile whining on a site generally regarded as 'grown-up' (well, sometimes...). Bit like finding a Sun headline in The Graun. Only much worse.

1. ThomH

Re: i dunno, feelings of butthurt seem to be running high

I think the issue with the badges is that they reward posting frequently and receiving upvotes without penalising downvotes. Therefore the best route to a badge is to post polemics as often as possible; every so often you're going to catch the mood and get 50+ upvotes rather than 50+ downvotes, and the repeated attempts will push up your total.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Benchops

Re: Register badges

are so middle class

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

"Register badges are so middle class"

I think that this is intended as some kind of insult, from somebody who thinks that it doesn't apply to them.

Sadly, by contributing you establish that you're the same as the rest of us (except for no badge).

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"Badges...we don't need no steenkin' badges!"

2. Benchops

> Sadly, by contributing you establish that you're the same as the rest of us (except for no badge).

Sadly, this is all true. WHERE'S MY BADGE? :"-(

2. horse of a different color
                    Mushroom

Re: Trolls

are so middle class

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: troll with a badge

Maybe "powers that be" ought to remove its badge

Never mind the "powers that be", one simple adblock rule and all these tedious badges have gone and postings look just like they always did .. I'm almost tempted to widen the rule ot block all the icons as well which on the whole IMHO are just tedious.

1. Blitterbug
              Unhappy

Re: ...block all the icons as well which on the whole IMHO are just tedious

You really have issues, don't you? Why don't we just be done with it and disable JS and use image placeholders. Even better, we could just use one of those awesome 'plain text' browsers. Times New Roman; no annoying pictures... Mmm, nostalgic.

This 'badge' thing seems to have attracted a lot of hate. Funny that, as I've often thought how useful it would be to have indicators of users' mileage on a site, like Ars Technica has. But straight away people are shouting 'elitism', or some such bollocks.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Times new roman?

Serifs are for ponces - sans serif, mono FTW! ;-)

3. Babbit55
      Happy

Wow this post made my brain hurt, my wife got me a cheap 7" tablet from Amazon (a cheap Chinese "Android" device) it wil be perfect for me as I travel a lot with work, also when I am in meetings it will be great for taking notes, also it can run the Kindle app so I can carry our books with me all over the place. Tablet PC's are the new laptops

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

awww didums. is mummy n daddy not getting ickle you a tablet for crimbo then? awww.

not to worry. when you are all growed up and big, you can get a job and go and buy your own tablet and not ever ever let them use it neither. and. and. and. you'll be soooo smart like... genius smart and open a tablet factory and make the bestest bestest tablets in the world and give them away free, but not to them cause they never got you a tablet for christmas, and got you a scooter even though you asked for a tablet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: tablet computawww didums. is mummy n daddy not getting ickle you a tablet for crimbo then? awww

Stick a splinter ladened wooden wand up yer jacksie!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

get with the times man

dude get with the times.

Yuppies are extinct. The last of them died off in july '91.

You should know the new enemy of the working class is the bankers. Well known fact that.

So stop waving your UB40 about in anger and get with the program.the miners lost, thatcher is out, the poll tax is gone and yuppies are long dead.

Its all about globalisation, bankers and wearing tin foil hats didnt ya know.

1. mrfill
        Mushroom

Re: get with the times man

Get with the times

The UB40 form was replaced in 1996 when Jobseekers allowance replaced unemployment benefit.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

actually that's me and my SO - even though I don't like the expletives, I have to own up that it's true

7. Johan Bastiaansen
      Thumb Up

[img]http://beebinc.bbcmicro.com/gif/right.gif[/img]

8. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

I upvoted this just because it was ape-shit crazy. A fine piece of literature. Thank you for the laughs.

9. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

You are SO FUC*KING WRONG, Sunshine!!!

So much money? I'm fuc*king broke, living on the dole, and yet I invested €20/month on a 3G Samsung 8.9 tab.

Yet, firstly it slips into my coat pocket, so when I need to look up the 'bus timetables, or when at Finnish school need to translate a word/decline a verb, or check my e-mail to see if some moron has had the utter stupidity to offer me a damn job, or (in summer) as a pedestrian, give some tourist directions to somewhere, or scan some documents to PDF, or take really decent photos, or listen to either music, or another Finnish lesson, or radio, or, or....

Has to go in my pocket, I haven't been able to afford a car for the last 20 years, so the only 'glove-box I've got is my coat pocket. Even that's from the Salvation Army shop!...

I'm not surprised in the slightest you got so many downvotes, Sunch.

10. fdlchris
      Thumb Up

epic! This has really cheered me up no end.

The man has a point.

2. Joseph Lord

iPads feeling expensive now

Even a year ago the Android competition consisted of crap cheap products and comparable products at comparable prices to the iPads. I could do with a second iPad (for when my son has out current iPad2) but can't really justify the current prices.

I have a couple of problems with the Androids though, the first of which is Google themselves who I don't really trust not to log all my usage activity and browsing. The other issue is that I'm not sure about 16:9 screens on tablets which I would mostly use for web browsing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPads feeling expensive now

Expensive - really - depends if you feel £80-100 over 4 years as a lot or paying a bit more for a device that is likely to have a longer life or get better support or have a better range of better apps? Too much of this is about initial purchase price and not TCO - my iPhone 3GS is still going strong after 4+ years and still supported / running the latest OS.

I'd rather spend a bit more on something I wanted than settle for 2nd / 3rd best just on price.

1. paul 97
        Pint

iPhone 3GS running ios6 - your brave and very patient.

1. Martin
          Headmaster

...YOU'RE brave and very patient.

Sigh.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Up

> ...your brave and very patient.

I'm "gonna" get myself one of these babies:

http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/grammar-t-shirt-mens.html

1. JDX Gold badge

The top-end iPads feel VERY expensive to me. The entry-level one, not really.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Clearly you have not run it - iOS 6 is fine on a 3GS - perhaps even faster than iOS 5.

2. csumpi
        Stop

"my iPhone 3GS is still going strong after 4+ years and still supported / running the latest OS"

my four year old droid is still running fine, has high resolution screen (you guys like to call it retina), still running a three year old android and still can do more than ios6. but I'm pretty sure in the next couple of years ios will get better and be as functional as a android from 2009.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's not typical - in our office we have a drawer full of old android phones that are no longer supported but plenty of iPhones still in use.

3. Toastan Buttar
        WTF?

"my iPhone 3GS is still going strong after 4+ years and still supported / running the latest OS."

8th June 2009 is 4+ years ago???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_3GS

2. DrXym

There are some Android tablets which have a different aspect ratio screens, e.g. the Archos 80 has a 4:3 screen.

As for Google, I don't see them being any different in their own way than Apple or Microsoft when it comes to tablets. They all jealously hoard as much data as they can about you so they can use it to sell advertising and so on.

If you feel strongly about it, there are options. Many Android tablets can be rooted so you can obtain a custom rom which don't have apps you don't wish to use. A less extreme measure would be to avoid the Google apps and use alternatives, e.g. Yahoo mail instead of GMail, Firefox / Opera / Dolphin instead of Chrome and so on.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>There are some Android tablets which have a different aspect ratio screens, e.g. the Archos 80 has a 4:3 screen.

And that weird 5" Android LG phone is 4:3. I dislike 16:9 on laptops, but on tablets its not quite as irritating because I can rotate it by 90º.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Nexus 7 has got a 1280x800 resolution, the Nexus 10 twice that in both dimensions. 1280/800=1.6 so that works out as 16:10 for both. Not as good as 4:3 in my book but still a lot better than 16:9.

I bought both Nexi and am really pleased with them. My wife and the kids mostly use the 10 while I have the 7 to comment on Reg articles while on my way to work. I really like the fact that you can set up separate accounts for each user on the Nexus.

Personally I don't mind Google's data aggregation needs as much as others do. The Chocolate Factory is giving me plenty in return.

4. R Varia

I have 3 android tablets but even I have say the if you have a Apple eco system with an iphone or Mac PC then iPad is better choice then android. Plus apple aftersales is way ahead of anything I have seen from any android manufacture. Also they may not be VFM but if you have the cash and are want something that 'just works' then apple is still a good choice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Asus

The Asus tablets maybe are a bit pricey but way better than Acer.

1. The Alpha Klutz
      Thumb Up

Re: Asus

yeah but you could say that about any equivalent product.

Acer use the nice cheap plastics that look like shit and fall apart, and for that you save maybe 10% over a correctly built unit from another manufacturer.

Acer are shit.

2. DrXym

Re: Asus

I've never had a problem with an Acer device which wasn't my own fault (e.g. spilling a drink over a laptop). But my ASUS Transformer is nice and will probably benefit from an upgrade to 4.2 soon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not buy your wife a gold plated ring or a stainless steel one - sure she would not mind - cheapskate.

1. The Alpha Klutz
      Thumb Up

my wife is lucky to get food

1. Silverburn
        Windows

<--- you want this icon, Alpha...;-)

2. Christopher Rogers
        Go

You need to send the staff to Waitrose more often

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

my wife is lucky to get food

That's epic, grin. I really want to be around when your wife gets to read this..

4. Law
        Trollface

"my wife is lucky to get food"

Food? LUXURY!!!!

5. Mad Frankie
    Meh

I love the Register's reviews. They might like to give some good kit a percentage number that is different to 85 in the future - just to liven things up a bit.

1. Ian Yates
      Pint

Agreed. It would be nice to know what the top three could have done for the extra 15%.

He described the N7 as almost impossible to beat (amongst other hyperbole), but 85% leaves a large gap for someone to improve (assuming there are quantifiable reasons for the score).

2. Benchops
      Headmaster

Why multiples of 5 %points?

El Reg's department of measures and standardisation should be insisting on a pericosage score.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what about the really cheap....

... android tablets you cab get for 50-60 quid? I appreciate they are not a Nexus in spec, build quality or (ease of putting on) upgrades, but my word are they good value by comparison. The only real downside I've found with them is battery life - but for a medium bus or train journey they are fine. I think they warrant more of a mention - if your needs are moderate they can't be beaten IMHO.

7. Silverburn
    WTF?

Photoshop fail

Check out the hand on the ipad photo, page 2.

Either the ipad is actually a 5.5" version, or the guy (and it is a guy) picking it up is an 8 foot tall gorilla.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Re: Photoshop fail

I think the hand is on an ipad mini.

Though you're right: it does illustrate just how tiny the display is. Can you really do anything useful, apart from merely consume content, on such a small screen?

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
        FAIL

Even for an iPad mini, that hand is too large by far. Makes it look like a largish phone.

2. JDX Gold badge

>>Can you really do anything useful, apart from merely consume content, on such a small screen?

Well you can do everything you can do on your phone, better. So that's email, games and web-browsing covered. And you can read books on it. So, yes.

1. mrfill
          Stop

Can you make a phone call with it?

8. RegKees

more than apps

Depends on who you're buying for. A nexus 10 is going to be a disappointment to your parents.

Calling the Nexus 10 a great media device, when most of the media delivery is through scaled up phone apps is a biased opinion at best.

If you like to fiddle, sure go ahead. Android is good on phones, but nowhere near on the tablet yet.

It's not just the apps, it's the whole integration between devices, even within those apps, that sets the Apple eco system apart. I know Google claims much the same, but it isn't at the same level yet. And since they do not control as much of the eco system as Apple does (arguably a plus in some ways), they will probably never be able to do the same tight integration between all devices and OSs.

If I'm catching up on some news on my iPad in the dedicated news app, I can put it down and pick up my iPhone in the train and continue on with the article, including my reading history. All of that could be done on Android, but no dedicated tablet app even exists, and the Android phone app does't sync.

I come home and Safari shows the tabs I have open on my iPhone on my MacBook Air, and is uploading the pictures I took on the phone today to it over wifi without any user interaction. Getting Android to do such things requires a lot more work and knowledge.

I have enough to deal with during the day, I don't usually feel a sudden urge to make the interface's text purple, I just want to pick up where I left off, regardless of the device I pick up. Apple is still way ahead here, and frankly, Google might not have the same possibilities Apple does.

This is why it is so interesting to see where Microsoft is headed with Windows 8. W8 should have been better, frankly, but there is a lot of potential there.

1. Jonathon Green
      Trollface

Re: more than apps

"Calling the Nexus 10 a great media device, when most of the media delivery is through scaled up phone apps is a biased opinion at best."

On the other hand it can play high definition video from .mkv files (and other non-iApproved iFormats) without outside assistance, which is more than my iPad can manage...

1. Richard 81

"non-iApproved iFormats"

That would be anything that's not m4a.

2. Steve Todd
        Stop

Converting MKV to M4V is fast and easy. Most MKVs use h264 video anyway so it's mostly just re-multiplexing. Look at an app like Subler.

1. Nick De Plume
          FAIL

"Converting MKV to M4V is fast and easy. Most MKVs use h264 video anyway so it's mostly just re-multiplexing. Look at an app like Subler."

Why sit in front of a computer and convert if you don't have to? And doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? My el-cheapo Nexus 7 can stream from my home network (a cheap Seagate HDD attached to my router) or play off a USB stick without converting. anything. avi, divx/xvid, mpeg, mkv, you name it.

1. Steve Todd

Re: more than apps - @Nick De Plume

When I can convert a 1GB MKV to M4V, while at the same time adding Internet sourced cover art and meta-data, in about 30 seconds, why would this be an issue?

It looks like the Fandroids haven't found a decent re multiplexer yet given the number of down votes that got. Maybe they should explore the options, they may be surprised.

1. Al Jones

@Steve Todd

if you "can convert a 1GB MKV to M4V, while at the same time adding Internet sourced cover art and meta-data, in about 30 seconds" why does Apple make you jump through that hoop, instead of just letting you play the file without converting it?

2. Jonathon Green

@Steve Todd: "It looks like the Fandroids haven't found a decent re multiplexer yet given the number of down votes that got. Maybe they should explore the options, they may be surprised."

Well, with my Fandroid head on snd my Samsung Galaxy in my hand I don't need the remuxer because everything Just Works. With my Fanboi head on and my iPad 2 in my hands (which as it happens it is, because that's what I'm posting from!) I've got several remuxers and:

A) The files I've been working with (motorsport events which aren't broadcast in the UK) are considerably over 1GB and none of the remuxers are anything like as fast as you suggest when working with 8GB files, OK my PC is getting on a bit, but it works just fine for everything else and I'm damned if I'm going to replace a machine I'm otherwise quite happy with...

and

B) Every now and then something in the chain objects to the audio encoding in the mkv and the only way round it is splitting out the audio and re-encoding which is a PITA .

Bottom line is that not supporting common formats which everything else in the house (couple of Samsung phones and a couple of set-top streaming media players) will quite happily work with s a bit poor, and while it's not neccessarily a complete deal breaker it's a considerable black mark for some people, myself included...

3. RegKees

typing mkv in the search box at the app store is a bit over your head, yeah?

It's the whole point of the iPad. The more 'advanced' stuff to set up Apple offers an automated solution (the syncing of tabs, notes ,email, photos etc) while for anything it doesn't do, you get an app.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the Android ecosystem.

Firstly, regarding so-called "dedicated tablet apps", what you are really referring to is adjustments made for different screen dimensions and resolutions. This may be a significant thing for iOS apps, since they have a comparatively small set of possibilities, where dimensions tend to be integer multiples of each other. Android apps on the other hand have always had to dynamically scale for quite different and arbitrary screen dimensions, so the first thing they do is determine the pixel dimensions of the device they are running on, and scale accordingly. Sure, some of the older apps may look a little minimalist if they were never intended for a tablet, but they won't suffer from black bar syndrome or pixel doubling, unlike some other ecosystems.

Secondly, nobody does cloud syncing better than Google. The browser bookmarks I have on my PC are automatically copied to my Android device - same goes for calendar appointments, Google News settings, email, etc. Note that this happens transparently across completely different ecosystems (in this case Windows and Android), so I am not locked in to a walled garden.

Best of all, though, I am in control. I am able to change things to suit myself. I regard that as essential, because nobody on this planet knows what I want as well as I do.

1. Lunatik

@mutatedwombat

I was going to comment almost exactly the same thing. Having recently switched to iPhone from Android (and borderline regretting it) I now realise that I wasn't even aware how slick the de facto Android/Chrome syncing of just about everything across phone, tablet & PC (Win, Mac or even Linux I guess) had become.

Trying to straddle two ecosystems is almost impossible if you want to achieve seamless syncing. Articles like this

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/5/3732364/best-way-gmail-google-calendar-iphone-how-to

only illustrate how broken Google syncing of the simple things (mail, contacts & calendar) is on iOS, never mind the hidden stuff like browsing tabs, history, custom dictionaries etc.

3. 20legend

'I come home and Safari shows the tabs I have open on my iPhone on my MacBook Air, and is uploading the pictures I took on the phone today to it over wifi without any user interaction. Getting Android to do such things requires a lot more work and knowledge.'

Only if you are a complete fu*king idiot!!!

I guess you've not used the sync option in Chrome on a 'droid before - which amazingly allows you to access the tabs open on other devices you are running Chrome on from the one you are currently using.

While St Steve may have determined which apps an iUser WILL use for particular functions, Google on the other hand, didn't. Therefore I use MY choice of app (in this case SugarSync) to launch my photos (and any other files I want, for that matter) into the cloud automatically, on the fly (3g or wifi) which once again, by some form of robot magic, allows me instant access and sharing from any other device running the Sugarsync client, or through the web portal if the client isn't installed.

So very simple, a child could do it..........

1. RegKees

no. Android doesn't do this for you, so you have to search out a solution for yourself, that's exactly my point.

I will not debate that this works for many semi savy users, but my point was that this requires no installation in iOS, and no setup. You buy an iOS device, and check the relevant box during setup and the photo syncing just happens.

YOU may not find that desirable, but people that have no interest in figuring that stuff out by themselves (the vast majority) love that kind of automatic setup.

And I like it too, I'm sure I could get it to work on Android, but I have better things to do with my time than fiddling with tablet settings, sorry.

1. GregC

Photo syncing

@RegKees - my photos are available on all my Android devices, with no input from me. It all happens automagically via Picasa.

1. Steve Todd
            Stop

Re: Photo syncing

Stop me if I'm wrong, but is not Picasa something you need to know about and install? In what way does it make @RegKees comment incorrect?

1. Nick De Plume
              Go

Re: Photo syncing

"Stop me if I'm wrong, but is not Picasa something you need to know about and install? In what way does it make @RegKees comment incorrect?"

Picasa the windows/osx application is a pretty decent photo manager you need to know about and install.

Picasa the service is something you automatically have if you have a google account. It keeps and sorts (and shares if you like, etc) your photos. It works in conjunction with your default Gallery app on your Android device (in fact, it works transparently).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The photos I take on my phone are automatically uploaded to Google+ (not published, but ready for publishing when I want to). I am not aware of a storage limit, so far it's taken all I cared to throw at it and that includes photos and videos. I was asked when I set the phone up whether I'd like photos to be uploaded at all and whether that should happen only while on Wifi or on 3G as well. When I set up my tablet, all those photos magically appeared on it as well.

The feature is called Instant Upload and you can read more about it here: http://support.google.com/plus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1647509

They are not though automatically synched to my computer and I haven't researched how that would be done but it's overall not a far cry from what you describe. And considering we live in the "post-PC" world according to Apple and I'm indeed using my laptop less and less it covers my needs quite well.

3. Al Taylor
          Alert

" You buy an iOS device, and check the relevant box during setup and the photo syncing just happens."

You buy an Android device, sign in with a Google account and all your photos, books, documents, starred map locations, YouTube preferences, Google+ stuff and music all appear on your new device. No need to check a box, download an app or do anything else.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So very simple, that ONLY a child can do it"

1. dajames
          Thumb Up

"So very simple, that ONLY a child can do it"

Upvoted, but only for the Tom Lehrer quote ... I've quite lost track of who's making which points in this, er, debate!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Calling the Nexus 10 a great media device, when most of the media delivery is through scaled up phone apps is a biased opinion at best."

I'm guessing you are still living in 2009, or believe the tripe that Apple wheel out at their conference as fact.

The reality is, almost all the main Android apps have tablet layouts included in the APK. Since ICS merged tablet and phone, things have moved on MASSIVELY, not only in apps, but in the quality of Android tablets.

They are way more functional, easier to use (nobody forces you to use widgets or "turn the text purple"), and there are plenty of apps that allow you to continue reading where you left off. My parents have a Kobo and a Nexus7 with the Kobo app, and it does precisely that.

The only tool here is you, trying to justify your overpriced and simplistic crap.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

The reality is, almost all the main Android apps have tablet layouts included in the APK.

Yup. I see this line or variations of it, such that Android layout looks shit because its too hard for developers to code for the myriad screen sizes (and orientation). In fact, if you've ever looked at the UI design parts of the Android SDK, you'll find that they have great support for tailoring the look of your app to differing screen sizes, and probably (like me) find it easy to understand and implement UI design using the SDK. In particular, they define various constants relating to screen size, dpi and relative icon size and so on so that you can either dynamically reorganise your UI at runtime, or pre-bake a set of default UIs and then select the one that's closest to the properties of the physical screen (or do a bit of both, if you wish). If you want to delve a bit into OpenGL, you can also create a mipmap for each icon and then interpolate to the correct scale, or you can just provided a set of fixed-resolution images and let Android select the best one.

More recent versions of Android (3.0) and up also have the idea of "Fragments" to make dynamically-scaled/rotated UIs even easier to build. More importantly, though, they make it easy to radically alter the UI layout depending of screen size and orientation, say by presenting a two-panel display on a large, landscape tablet, while omitting less important options (relegated to the action menu) from smaller or portrait displays.

As for the specific claim that media delivery is scaled up, you're surely having a laugh, right? Surely "media delivery" just means playing a video, and I can't imagine any media player that can't handle matching the video stream dimensions to the physical screen dimensions? Ludicrous.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So here's the thing. The majority of your post is about the experience by having multiple devices - and so is completely irrelevant for someone looking to buy a single device.

And another thing; much of what you then go on to claim is just stuff that *you* find useful - and which I already do just fine in my way on multiple Android devices (Feedly for news, Chrome allows me to open any page that I've been reading on any other device I've used Chrome on). There are plenty of other use cases which Android users could state which Apple users would struggle to replicate the experience.

I can't think of a single Andoid app I use which allows me to "make the interface's text purple" so I've no idea where you're coming from on that.

So I'm glad you like Apple devices. I don't. I'm glad you can easily do what you want to do on Apple devices. I can easily do what I want to do just fine on Andoid devices. But I don't feel the need to go around disparaging other people just because they have different needs, desires and aims to me.

6. csumpi
      Stop

@RegKees: You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. None. What you are saying is so stupid, it's not even worth correcting.

7. Radelix
      Devil

Chrome syncs my pages from the desktop to desktop to laptop to phone and to tablet. Pictures are auto sync'd to G+ ( yes I do use it). You should know the kindle app. And news is done with pulse, currents, and flipboard which of course sync respectively between devices and come with handy tablet friendly UI's. And of course this is all syncing between a Xoom, gnex, and N4.

And my favorite part.

"well I sign into my mac and all my stuff downloads and syncs" as a recent convert to Apple told me recently. My response being "If I sign into gmail then all my stuff is there too, no synching required." Their response: "...".

I know I'm tied to El Goog but at least I know what they are doing with my data.

1. <shakes head>

Do you?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cut 'n' Paste

Shouldn't "2012's top e-book readers: the best..." actually say Tablets, rather than be an exact copy of the text from yesterday's top e-book reader article?

10. David Gosnell

Better than the Gadget Show anyway

(as if that's difficult, these days)

Their small tablet comparison ran to the iPad Mini and the Kindle Fire HD, and that's yer lot... I guess Apple and Amazon paid them not to include the Nexus 7, which would have wiped the floor with both of them. I can't even remember which one won, so irrelevant it became in an instant.

11. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Sometimes...

i wonder why i both reading el reg after shit like this - Basically this article could be summed up as, never used either a Surface or an iAnythig, i LLLLOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEE my Andriod tablet. Review my arse.

1. Richard 81
      Devil

Re: Sometimes...

It's a change from the iThing reviews, which always get given to the one person in the office who loves them.

They always end up with 90% scores and reading like Stephen Fry's blog.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which is a testament to how good they are if they get that rating on here which some may argue is not necessarily a very Apple-friendly environment?

2. Al Taylor
      Alert

Let's get one thing clear, anyone who says they "love" a gadget not matter what OS it runs should be taken outside and shot. Or at least prevented from breeding.

I make no bones about the fact I use Android day-in-day-out but that's more to do with the fact all my "stuff" is in the Google cloud than any fundamental advantage it has over iOS or WinRT.

I don't know what half-arsed sites you usually read, but around here we only write about kit after we have used it.

(Posted from my iPad)

12. AshC
    Coat

keyboard-cum-covers?

I guess you should make sure you're holding it right?

Right?

1. Richard 81

Re: keyboard-cum-covers?

You need massive hands, apparently.

13. Mint Sauce
    Go

"...and a maps app that sucks the scabs off a zombie’s nutsack."

<ripple of polite applause>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...and a maps app that sucks the scabs off a zombie’s nutsack."

Apple haters love to jump on this forgetting that now iPad users have MORE choice - the Apple Maps app AND Google Maps and Apple Maps are better for some people (satellite mapping seems more up to date for one thing). It's such a trivial issue for most people - it takes 10 seconds to save Google Maps to an icon.

2. CADmonkey
      Thumb Down

Re: "...and a maps app that sucks the scabs off a zombie’s nutsack."

I couldn't disagree with you more. I found it stomach-turning and unfunny and unnecessary.

Maybe i'm just getting old, maybe it was the Nachos Grande I was eating at the time.

14. CAPS LOCK
    FAIL

"And don’t forget, the Surface comes with Microsoft Office pre-loaded." Fantastic. Unles you need to exchange documents with people using the real version of Office, then suddenly, 'Oh, it's not quite compatible, didn't you know?'

Microsoft can't even make Office 365 compatible with the real thing. Pathetic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly. That is why I bought SoftMaker for my Nexus. It handles office files perfectly so far.No, not affiliated.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And don’t forget, the Surface comes with Microsoft Office pre-loaded."

..which isn't licensed for commercial use either- so unless your employer wants to give you another MS office license for your new toy, you're technically a feeelthy license-breaking commie mutant traitor. Classy.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "And don’t forget, the Surface comes with Microsoft Office pre-loaded."

"which isn't licensed for commercial use either"

I I wasn't a libertarian scumbag, I would place a phone call to the Towers of the Antitrust Taxfeeders.

I pay for it, I use it as I like. Suck it up, Microsoft.

Hey, on second thoughts, I won't pay for it.

char_aznable_removing_glasses.jpg

15. Pete 2 Silver badge

What about the no-names?

Having a drool over all the tablets that your mum could pick up with the weekly shopping is all very well. However we're supposed to be TECHIES here and therefore aware of (if not altogether happy with) lots of suppliers who's wares don't appear on the high street.

So how about a comparable look at the generic tablets available with odd-sounding names on the back that don't get much press (because they don't take out full-pages ads?) but could give the highly promoted offerings a run for their money.

1. Richard 81

Re: What about the no-names?

A few unheard of brands sneak into some of these articles, but they're always crap in some way or another. If there are any good ones, I wouldn't mind knowing about them.

Oh but Kobo, or any other obscure e-reader-tablet-hybrid, don't count. They're all shite.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

> If there are any good ones, I wouldn't mind knowing about them

Exactly.

Take for example the newly released Onda V972 (catchy name!) 9.7 IPS, 2GB, quad core processor (and 8 core GPU). Up for grabs at $240 - but is it any good?

It sounds great on paper, but until someone puts it head-to-head with some better known tablets, in real-life situations, it could easily be a couple of hundred quid wasted.

This is what we need to know.

2. Tony Paulazzo
      Devil

This, a thousand times this. I don't get email and facebook ms' asking whether they should buy an ipad, Transformer or Nexus, no, they wanna know whether Tesco's £50 offering is better than the no name they found on Ebay for £75. So I dutifully look at the specs (generally 512MB, 4 GB storage, SD capable, 5 finger capacitive screen & Android 4), I usually advise going with supermarket offerings cause their return policies... well, they generally have one if the product turns out to be shit.

And what was with the Surface love? the picture showed a Surface Pro (pen included), the 16:9 ratio is not a generally popular format for the tablet market, besides which, most of the Android tabs also do 16:9, and the included MSOffice is for non commercial use only - which to my mind precludes it for writing a book or creating excel sheets because they might generate money in the future. In fact, the only use for Office on the RT I can see is for students doing homework or mums writing out shopping lists.

The ipad mini is a pisstake tho', I think Apple are just seeing how far they can push their ifans.

Sent from my iPad3 - suck it!

1. John H Woods Silver badge

I agree and disagree. Yes it would be nice to know about no-name brands, but no, I wouldn't necessarily trust the Supermarkets. Although many will accept returns on things that are not what you wanted, they are not under anything like as much legal obligation as mail order companies, who must take something back, opened or not, faulty or not, if you just say you don't want it.

In fact I have often seen things in shops, whipped out my phone and ordered it from their own online store. Most recently some Beats from HMV (and they were cheaper). Oh I should just say they are for my fashion conscious daughter, before anybody says anything...

3. Zolko Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Onda V712, Ainol Novo 7 Fire, are Chinese-made (but so are all the others) 7'' with 1280x800 IPS screen, 1Gb RAM, dual-core A9, HDMI-out ... for 125€ ... asked for one for Xmas, wondering if Santa-Klaus will have it for me.

1. mrfill

I'm not sure that a gadget named Ainol would be much good in the bragging arena and you may get some odd looks in PCWorld asking where the Ainol products are.

16. Toothpick
    Go

Blackberry

Got my son a 64Gb playbook for Christmas. He will only use it for video & music though so if any of you just want a "media consumption" device it's a steal at £129

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blackberry

£129 is not bad for a basic media player but I'd still pay the extra for a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini and get something that is likely to last longer.

2. MrTivo

Re: Blackberry

I had a PB (32 MB), really to see what BB10 was going to be like before plunking down money for a BB10 phone. With ver 2.0 OS, I had the hope of more apps via the Android emulation.

Then one day my PB froze. It turned into a brick. It would barely take a charge (if the PB battery goes completely flat it causes other issues) and had to be returned for a repair. The repair was a replacement, with 90 days cover or the balance of the 12 months original cover, whichever was the longer.

Given if it happened again, and I was outside the cover period, I was looking at a total loss, so I sold it. It was a lovely tablet, but the chance that it would turn into a brick again, with minimal use, never mind any kind of hacking involved, was enough for me to ditch it.

17. James 51

No mention of the playbook? There was 4G version released this year (with a 50% increase in CPU speed to boot).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Playbook is basically a kids toy or will be after the OS is discontinued - what do they have 1% of the market - or will have soon?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

it's still 64GB of kid's toy!

my kids will love theirs! - well only one of them gets a Playbook - the other sproglet will get the Vtech Innotab2 (around £60, he'll get an 8gb SD-card ) and I can get my iPad2 back

1. Toothpick

Re: it's still 64GB of kid's toy!

... and well built

2. James 51

It's solid with a decent amount of app and is very capible. Not to mention there is the the third version of the OS coming and will work on the orginal device.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can dress up a poo all your like but it is what it is.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Christmas ?

When you are discussing their suitability for Christmas, availability might be relevant.

If google can't get a Nexus 10 to me in the next week or so, the missus is going to have to make do with an iPad 4.

If you can't actually buy it, it might as well not exist.

19. uponahill
    Headmaster

"...and the rest. Asus Transformer Pad Infinity. Reg Rating 80%"

actually, you gave it 85%, same as all your "2012's top e-book readers"

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/14/review_asus_transformer_pad_infinity_tf700t_64gb_android_tablet/page3.html

the cost is a bit of a killer though.

1. uponahill

Re: "...and the rest. Asus Transformer Pad Infinity. Reg Rating 80%"

Oh look, you gave 90% to the Asus Transformer Pad TF300

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/13/review_asus_transformer_pad_android_tablet/

Higher than all your "2012's top e-book readers"

No Reg christmas love for Asus??

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: "...and the rest. Asus Transformer Pad Infinity. Reg Rating 80%"

Okay, let me put on my Big Old Register hat here for a second and state without hesitation:

The Asus Transformer is fucking awesome. One of the best devices I have ever used. I don't have a Prime, or an Infinity or any of the new ones. I have the original. TF101.

And it rocks.

I give it 90%. Why 10% off? Because there is a bloody settings key were the delete key should be. In fact, there *is* no delete key at all and that drives me mad. Polaris Office is also a steaming heap of goat feces if you are trying to use a mouse + keyboard to get work done...which, you know, is the sort of thing you do with a hybrid device like the Transformer.

It is so close to perfect. So close. It is a nice Android-powered tablet. It is a 12-hour netbook. It has MicroSD, SD and 2x USB ports. It's fast, responsive and capable. You can access your legacy Windows applications by using the RemoteRDP app in keyboard+mouse mode, or the Wyse Pocketcloud app in touch mode. There are a plethora of available browsers, apps for nearly everything.

Except an office package that wasn't chiselled out of a fucking stone tablet by a collection of lobotomised guinea pigs on crystal meth.

And that keyboard. Fuck the keyboard.

So in all, I give the Asus Transformer (Android) line 90%. The devices are so amazing they almost offset the two hideous flaws that devastate Android devices for real use.

20. sebacoustic
    Meh

The best tablet for Christmas

remember a tablet is not just for Christmas!

And on the day after Christmas, the best tablet has to be a Paracetamol, or maybe Alka-Selzer.

1. Richard 81

Re: The best tablet for Christmas

Fizzygood makefeelnice

21. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

Well...

I got myself a galaxy tab 2 10.1. I don't need the powerhouse of the others. But it does the job.

1. Martin
      Thumb Up

Re: Well...

And it's pretty cheap - and even more so at the moment with the £50 cashback.

2. Kevin 6

Re: Well...

I went with the galaxy tab 2 7in with a 32g class 10 SDHC card it was still cheaper than the nexus 7, and played every video I flung at it perfectly(what I bought it for)

22. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

There is no 'Best' device any longer

Pretty well all the ones (apart from the dirt cheap bits of kit) available today will do the main things such as

Web Browsing

Email

IM (skype etc)

Play Music & Videos.

just as well as the next one.

Therefore, IMHO the decision about which one to get is purely down to the user preferences.

If you want a decent OOTB user experience then an iPad will give you that.

With a bit of work( thus easy for those who post here), an Android device will also do that.

I have a Kindle Fire HD. It does just what I want it to. I can hear the naysayers gritting their teeth even now. Yes it is a virtual walled garden. However for my requirements it is perfect. Get that, MY needs not yours so don't tell me it is a POS, walled garden crap etc. It works for me.

The same goes for my mother with her iPad. It works for her and she's 90years old.

The fact that pretty well all tablets will do what most people want (bigotry aside) is a sign of a maturing market. Just like Laptops and PC's.

1. A n o n y m o u s

Re: There is no 'Best' device any longer

The Kindle Fire is the most walled of gardens - so as long as you do not mind driving on Amazon roads and filling up with Amazon fuel that's just great. The iPad is very open by comparison. Basically I see no reason why anyone would buy a Kindle Fire vs a Nexus 7 or even spend the extra and get the iPad Mini. It's roughly the same price as the Nexus 7 but does so much less.

It's like the people who buy Maglites (who are not buying them as 'batons') with standard incandescent bulbs thinking they have a great torch (flashlight for the US visitors) when you can get something many times brighter, smaller, lighter and with a better battery life - for the same or less.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

You can replace your Maglite bulb with LEDs. You can't generally run over the knockoffs in an artic and still expect them to work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kindle Fire is basically for people who don't give a crap or don't know better - i.e. someone who sees it as an upgrade from a b/w Kindle e-reader. If I got one free I would give it to someone else as would have no use for it - why would you when you compare it to a ipad or nexus or well pretty much anything else.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

You really don't get it do you...

For MY requirements it is perfect. For yours? probably not.

For me, the following are what I rate highly

- Runs for a 10/11hr flight (eg LHR-LAX, LHR-BKK or LHR-JBG) without needing at seat charging.

- Plays my music collection (all ripped from LP's and CD's) so no need to go online or stream anything.

- Lets me view TV shows recorded on my PVR in a Hotel Room (via HDMI cable)

- holds my reading material for my business trips, mainly lots of Free books from Amazon and Guttenburg etc

I know that many other devices can do most if not all of the above. Therefore the 1st item above becomes more important.

I also know that it is not perfect but from the devices available at the moment, it suits me the best. When I can get a Nexus/iPad/some other tablet with a 24hr operational battery life, then I might be tempted to change.

When you understand that these are my requirements AND that I did research alternatives please come back with a sensible comment instead of just dismissing an opinion that is different from yours.

23. JDX Gold badge

Even the most devout fan of Android...

>>Even the most devout fan of Android would have to concede that it has failed to repeat its smartphone success in the tablet arena

You haven't hung out in these forums have you Mr. Writer?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best tablet for Christmas

Valium. Wake me up when all the 'buy, buy, buy, your country needs you to buy' shite has gone away.

1. h3

Re: Best tablet for Christmas

Valium - Amen

25. Perror

Nexus 7

For the price, Nexuses are a steal. I really like the iPads but I really can't justify the price difference (I'm not locked in to any ecosystem), and from the look of it, it doesn't seem like MS really wants the Surface RT to compete (price and specifications-wise, esp. when taken together).

In any case I think it all comes down to this: buy something from a reputable manufacturer and it'll be okay, regardless of the OS.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re-sale value

This obsession of Apple users with re-sale value seems a tad selfishly self serving... When I buy a new, better device to replace an older one I give the older device to a friend that has a use for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: re-sale value

You may but many sell / trade in their old devices so resale issue is 'an issue'.

Even without a monetary value I have given my old 3GS to a family member (free) but is still has value to them as it's still supported and runs iOS 6 so still useful. I can't say the same for the majority of Android handsets - how many of those are going strong after 4+ years?

The idea of putting a monetary value was just to prove the TCO argument - you may pay £400 for an iPad but after 3 years probably still get £200 for it (useful towards buying your next one) whereas you may pay £350 for an equivalent Samsung galaxy but it is more likely to be unsupported / worthless after 3 years.

People understand this with cars but not with tablets / computers?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As a corporate buyer TCO and support costs are typically far more than the hardware purchase cost - that is one big benefit with Apple gear.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        WTF?

> you may pay £400 for an iPad but after 3 years probably still get £200 for it

In what universe does that happen?

1. JDX Gold badge

A universe with eBay. Check for yourself.

2. The Alpha Klutz

apple fans are scum on the whole. i am an iMac user but I use it because its a solid PC with a glass fronted screen that I can spit at and wipe clean (eventually, when i can be bothered). when im done with it its going in the skip with the rest of the turds.

27. davew_uk
    Pint

Most of the no-name tablets are rubbish, though there are some real gems out there. There are two main chinese chipsets powering these things, the Allwinner A10 (ARM Cortex A8 single core ~1.2ghz + Mali 400MP GPU) and the Rockchip RK3066 (ARM Cortex A9 dual core ~1.6ghz + Mali 400MP quad core GPU). Once you know which chipset a no-name tablet is based on you will get a very good idea of its performance and capabilities.

Over here in Portugal the shops are full of sub-100eur 7" Allwinner A10 tablets and they nearly all have 800x600 LCDs with poor viewing angles and 8gb storage. I gave one to my wife, and for basic surfing and ereading its OK, handles virtually any known video file and even makes a fair stab at games.

I spent a little more on mine (139eur) and got a BQ Maxwell Plus with an 1024x600 IPS panel and the RK3066 chipset. I also have one of these and it smokes the A10-based tablet completely for any use case.

Bought both for the price of a Nexus 7 over here too :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like you wish you had just bought the nexus 7 or an ipad mini but some people like to make their lives difficult - I could drive [insert some cheaply made indian car] but I'd rather just drive a Ford / BMW / whatever that works.

28. Pie

I am a bit confused, it's a tablet article but has the ratings at the end for e-readers? Oh and how come no surface score?

29. handy

Playbook

Agree playbook is a great device, well worth buying. RIM has confirmed BB10 will replace the current operating system as well (BB10 release Feb/March)

For 129 pound for well built device, you cant go wrong. IMO BB10 looks far superior to ios and andiord and there has been a major push to get developers on board. They stated several months ago there will be more apps than any other OS at launch (main downside previously of PB).

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for a new spanner in the works

Maybe a bit late into the debate, but I saw syncing mentioned. This is an issue with Apple, but even more so with Google if you are trying to work with information you need to protect, like client data subject to Data Protection laws.

With Apple you have to fight a bit, but eventually you have it syncing locally - you can even set up your own Apple server and then have in principle a miniature Private Cloud, thus avoiding it shipping all your data into unSafe Harbor territory and making you break the law.

I would be obliged if someone could tell me how that can be done with Android, because you more or less START with agreeing to data acquisition by Google because it doesn't strike me that much works without a Google logon - which means agreeing to something that is deemed illegal if you business is located in Europe.

Anyone?

31. messele
    Facepalm

Why waste time doing a tablet round up and not mention the woeful usability problems that cripple Surface RT and the woeful graphics performance of the Nexus 10 which has a screen resolution way too large for the amount of graphics horsepower backing it up.

Then there's battery life. Urgh.

32. Vince

"close to empty" - "close to a lie"

"Windows RT Store is close to empty"

Not true. It's certainly not anywhere near as populated as iOS or Android/Google Play I will grant you. However, there are 2 other considerations. Firstly, many things simply do not need an app and the platform being a "PC style" experience means many things are already achievable without any extras already. Secondly, there are plenty of useful and worthwhile apps - and the majority (admittedly not everything - yet) of things I want are there. I'm sure it will improve, but to simply write it off as "close to empty" is pretty misleading.

I've certainly got everything essential going just fine on my Ideapad Yoga 11 ta.

33. adnim
    Joke

Best tablets for Christmas?

Well that depends.

Have children... Valium.

Don't have children... Take whatever floats your boat.

34. Miek
    Linux

I'd like to see what factors put the Nexus 7 and 10 at 85% and the Note 10.1 at 80% . Was it a price thing? The Note 10.1 has more features than the Nexus 7 and 10, so why the poorer score?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Everyone's missed the single most important thing...

...about this article. Three instances of "it's" which should have been "its". THREE!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like