back to article Man barely survives hamster attack

A Worcestershire man may well have saved his own life after suffering a "severe allergic reaction" to a hamster bite - by self-administering anti-allergy drugs before paramedics arrived. The unnamed 50-year-old was "trying to retrieve his pet from under the floorboards of his home near Evesham" after his daughter accidentally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. velvet

WTF

A Worcestershire man may well have saved his own life after suffering a "severe allergic reaction" to a hamster bite - by self-administering anti-allergy drugs before paramedics arrived.

>>>Seems to me if he had the drugs he must have known he was allergic to the hamster that’s just stupid. I’m allergic to gun shots to the head that’s why I don’t keep a gun in my house.

2. James Cleveland

Re: WTF

But hamsters are cute. :C

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

but...

more likely he's allergic to nuts? and didn't trigger that the hamster may contain nuts?

Clearly hamsters need warning labels. "May contain nuts". etc...

4. Chris Matchett

and yet...

My hamster contains cucumber. He likes egg too.

5. TS

RE: WTF

Just because he had allergies and had an Epi pen doesn't mean he knew he was allergic to chemicals in a hamster's saliva. It probably never crossed his mind.

He's probably allergic to bee stings or peanuts and had the epi handy. As soon as he started having a reaction, he didn't have to know what caused it, only that he had to use the epi pen.

Nothing "wtf" about it at all.

6. Andy Bright

Re: Re: WTF

I completely disagree. Hamsters are evil blighters that should be stricken from the face of the earth. Everyone knows this, therefore he was foolish in the purchase of said hamster.

It doesn't surprise me in the least to find that they have deliberately become allergy triggers too - all part of their fiendish plan.

Bastards.

7. daniel

Re: but, wtf and re. wtf

Re: But: Remember, only the male ones need a warning label about containing nuts.

Re: Re: WTF : I'm allergic to dust mite (since 5 years ago), and pollen (3 years ago). I have a small stock of anti-histamine pills on hand (either cetirizine or loratadine - cetirizine seems to work better for me). When I start getting a runny nose and prickly eyes, I pop a pill (sometimes it's a common cold, but even then, it helps for a day or so), so I can understand that if he felt the symptoms, he'd self-medicate. If he was really allergic to somthing (like shellfish etc), he would also have an epi pen, and know that when he felt off (hot, seeming to "inflate", breathing problems), to inject and call an ambulance while he was still concious - in the worst case, you have 15 minutes from exposure to falling over...

RE: RE: Re: WTF : I agree: Evil furry things. They must be destroyed just as the Klingons heroically destroyed all the Tribbles along with the Tribble homeworld. Qapla'.

This topic is closed for new posts.